Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First review on the Hunsaker with the pale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First review on the Hunsaker with the pale

Pail... not pale. So, Yesterday when I went out to cook the Dino Ribs, I thought, hell it is -13 out right now. I should try that basket vortex combo, probably produce more heat for less fuel. I have never had a problem (so far) with holding temps in my 22wsm and cold, but, figured this would teach me something. Weber Charcoal, 3 chunks of pecan, and 9 or 10 lit coals. Being a total rookie to this, I let the temp get ahead of me, more then I should have, hindsight 20-20! When this vortex basket gets hot, you are not going to change it's mind. It kept climbing on me, I eventually cut every vent, top and bottom, which, I also got a fire going on my 22 Kettle, to save the cook. But, I left every vent closed and a probe in it. But 10 maybe 12 hours later, it was running 350, Still every vent closed! Now, I just need to know how to harness that power. Next attempt, I will use the existing fire ring, and the larger vortex top. But, the fun is in the learning, and was forever thankful that I had another Weber right next to me to fire up. With vents open and a hotter start, this may make a 600 plus degree Pizza Oven, using the flat top accessory. Or a real nice warm oven on a cool night outside, open the front door...

https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/coll...ex-fire-basket
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; December 26, 2020, 06:24 PM.

I remember how much trouble I had learning how to use my Kamado. I like to get my regular smokers to 300 and come down. It is much easier than doing the opposite. The Vision grill kicked my butt at first. Like your story, 300 became 350 and there was nothing I could do to bring it back down. I had to learn patience. I can get a hot fire in my other units in 15 minutes with the Vision, I have to start in the 150's and let it slowly climb up to about 250 (45 minutes to an hour). Keeping it under 250 gives me ugly smoke and snuffs it out. I am looking forward to your reviews and solutions.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4 interesting you would say that about your Kamado. Instantly I thought, well, this must be like cooking with a kamado. I would now try to bring this to 150 as you do, and see where it finds natural heat. I still believe it is an incredible tool, just need to know how, and when to use it. I look forward to the trial and learn. Yet, I sat there and had fun watching that fire temp for hours, asking myself questions, It could have only been more fun, had it been 40 degrees out
      Last edited by Richard Chrz; December 26, 2020, 05:25 PM.

yep, even with a pellet grill, got to let them come to temp and stabilize.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here