Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Cook on Hunsaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Cook on Hunsaker

On Sunday we did our first cook on the Hunsaker . We loaded the charcoal basket with Kamado Joe Lump Charcoal .
    We added 3 chunks of Hickory and 2 chunks Cherry wood to basket . When smoker temp reach 285 f we put meat on grill .
    Angus Beef Chuck 4.15 lbs , Bonelss Pork Butt 6.52 lbs .

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0608.JPG
Views:	804
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	668557

Name:	IMG_0609.JPG
Views:	633
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	668558

After a 3.75 hr cook we wrapped the beef ( temp 175 f ) and pork ( temp 160 f ) wrapped in tin foil .
    We removed beef after a 4.75 hrs cook , beef temp 205 f and
    removed the pork after a 5.50 hr cook pork temp 205 f .

We than added some Hunter Sausage and fresh Andouille Sausage to smoker and cooked for about 1.5 hr

Name:	IMG_0613.JPG
Views:	600
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	668559

We pulled the beef

Name:	IMG_0616.JPG
Views:	634
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	668560

Pulled Pork

Name:	IMG_0614 (2).JPG
Views:	628
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	668561

Sliced Sausage

Name:	IMG_0619.JPG
Views:	622
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	668562

We also served Grilled potatoes , carrots , onions in tin foil , and two types of coleslaw , one a vinegar based
    and one that was chipotle honey mustard base ( mayo , apple cider vinegar ).

I was very pleased with the hunsaker . Temps were vey stable , smoker heats up fast . Nice flavour to meats .
    After closing vents down , once cooled we still had charcoal left for next cook . Nice feature i liked was the bottom vent lever
    you could control with your foot . Moving grills around for adjustment was easy . It was also nice to have a latch on lid
    for keeping lid open when checking food . the smoker was very responsive to vent adjusments for heat increases or decrease in temp . Moving smoker around was easy with the wheels .
    In the near future we are going to do ribs on the hunsaker and pit barrel for comparrsion .

Looks very good

Comment

Great write up!! it sounds like the Hunsaker is a winner! Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

Would you mind sharing it HERE, on the free side of the site? Be one of the first to comment! We and our readers really value first hand experience. Thanks!

Comment

• BRic
        BRic commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker Thanks for the comment . ! I have no problem sharing it on the free site .Do u post it there for me .
        Bert

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        No, just pop down to the comments section and let everyone know what you think. Thanks again, Bert! BRic

Looks great! Try putting your beans under your butt for a while and catch some of that liquid gold!

Comment

• BRic
        BRic commented
        Editing a comment
        HawkerXP I ordered it with a extra grate and a rib hanger , next cook I will
        have to put the beans under the pork butt .

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        @PCBDad

• Clark
        Clark commented
        Editing a comment
        HawkerXP Now I've lost my appetite!

Great looking cooks! Glad you had fun breaking in your new smoker!

Comment

• BRic
        BRic commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the comment !

Looks great - I'd eat that.

Comment

• BRic
        BRic commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the comment , We were impressed with the results .

Now that's a winner!

Comment

• BRic
        BRic commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the comment !

BRic Did you ever get the time for the side-by-side comparison with the PBC?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here