Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dilemma -- Ditch the 26" Kettle for Hunsaker Drum? HELP!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dilemma -- Ditch the 26" Kettle for Hunsaker Drum? HELP!!!!!

Question for you fine folks. I have a nice pellet grill that is very capable of not only smoking but also grilling... I am very happy with it's ability to do both. I also have a 26.75" Weber kettle with lots of goodies (GrillGrates, Vortex, Slow n Sear, Spin Grate, Elevated cooking grate). My MAK pellet grill is definitely my daily driver, but I do enjoy cooking on my kettle when I get the charcoal itch. That said, I have this itch to ditch the kettle and buy a Hunsaker Drum. My two biggest reasons being 1) I love the incredible volume of meat that is afforded by hanging meats vs laying on a grate 2) I really like the way that hung meats tend to turn out (it's like a stationary rotisserie).

My bottomline question: Am I NUTS for selling a 26.75 loaded Weber kettle in favor of a Hunsaker drum? I do NOT have the room in my backyard for both, so that unfortunately is not an option. Does anybody here have both a kettle and drum that can talk some sense into me?

I just died on the inside.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Breathe, Brother, Please!!!!

Do NOT move t'wards Th Light!!!!

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones Holy razors Bonesy! That was a close shave!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      WHEW, LOL!!!!

Ya done scairt th Livin $#¡+ outta me, there, Brother!

Glad yer upright, an breathin, still, cuz googlin wasn't helpin me one dang bit, to find th number fer 911, in Huntington Beach!

Doin my "Happy Dance", now, while readyin DeeDee fer smokin off some BSCB's, to honour th arrival, (at LONG last), of Ä’ostre!!!!

It is only permissible if you sell it to me.

Personally I love the versatility of a kettle. I have a bunch of 22s, a 26, and a Ranch. I love that I can cook low and slow, hot and fast, sear steaks, slap a cast iron pan on there and cook stuff in there, etc. Hard to get the same versatility and ease of use with anything else.

But the real answer is keep the 26 and get the drum too.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Survey sez????: No. 1 Answer!!!!

Originally posted by HouseHomey View Post
    I just died on the inside.
    Talk to me Homey! If you’re still alive please do elaborate… :-)

Comment

You're not crazy for wanting to do what you want to do. I have both (not Hunsacker, but PBC) and I vastly prefer the kettle. I can't grill a mean steak/chop/burger on my PBC as well as the kettle. But if you can grill on your MAK and don't need your kettle, then hey, do it!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeSousa View Post
        It is only permissible if you sell it to me.

Personally I love the versatility of a kettle. I have a bunch of 22s, a 26, and a Ranch. I love that I can cook low and slow, hot and fast, sear steaks, slap a cast iron pan on there and cook stuff in there, etc. Hard to get the same versatility and ease of use with anything else.

But the real answer is keep the 26 and get the drum too.
        And that is what is making this so dang hard… the versatility of the kettle is darn near impossible to beat! But I just cannot get these visions of hung meat out of my head... lol, along with all of the additional cooking real estate I would find myself with… which would be very nice when needed. I have a large family and we love to entertain.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Barrel smokers excel at capacity vs kettles for sure.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          How old's yer younguns, then?

Ever reckon, one of em is gonna need a kettle, when they move out?

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
        You're not crazy for wanting to do what you want to do. I have both (not Hunsacker, but PBC) and I vastly prefer the kettle. I can't grill a mean steak/chop/burger on my PBC as well as the kettle. But if you can grill on your MAK and don't need your kettle, then hey, do it!
        I’m not crazy? Apparently I have already killed one man on the inside

I will definitely agree w/ you that the kettle is the ultimate steak grilling machine… it does a phenomenal job! That said, I failed to mention that I also have a camp chef griddle that gets screaming hot and makes for a really good tag-team partner with my MAK pellet grill when it comes to steaks.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I think you have your answer then. Where do you live, I am half wanting to get another loaded 26er.

I definitely prefer my kettle over my PBC. I agree that it is much more versatile than my PBC. One thing to consider is that you can always add a fan mod to the kettle to make it even better and more efficient. One of my biggest issue with my PBC is dealing with probe wires. Trying to place them where you want and feeding them through the holes all while leaning over getting a snout full smoke. If charcoal is an occasional thing for you, then I vote for the kettle.

Comment

Obviously I don't own either of those, but the drums would take up slightly less room in the garage and be pretty easy to move I'd think? If so couldn't you just keep the drum somewhere else when not in use? Even a corner of the yard or whatever? One of my local friends has a heavily modded webber and a PBC. He prefers the PBC but smokes more than he grills.

Comment

There are only 2 deciding factors you are dealing with: 1) need a higher volume to cook more meats; 2) No room for an additional cooking device. You had your answer before you asked. There are benefits to having a kettle (I have kettle and PBC, also) but it doesn't meet those 2 factors. It hurts to see you have to make that decision, but as Huskee said, it is your decision. You have to meet your requirements.
            That being said, while you are in the buying mood, I might have a list (absolutely do) and I could give you my addy...just a thought.

Comment

YO ❤️ My Kettles. Capacity has always been an issue for many. If that’s in the criteria, the kettle is out.

Ultimatly It’s a tool like anything else and needs to useful or stored. I just don’t think theres a magic bullet here other than whatever makes your boat float.

Comment

All you need to do is make an extension for you kettle and you can hang meat in it. Get a piece of ss sheet 2' to 3' wide, and 82" - 83" long. Wrap it inside the bottom of the kettle, put the lid on, and mark where the ends need to overlap. Drill a few hoes and either pop rivet it or use screws and nuts. Seal the overlap with food grade heat proof silicon. Drill some holes for the rods and you are ready to go. Be careful not to make it too tall because you will need a step stool to look inside.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
                  All you need to do is make an extension for you kettle and you can hang meat in it. Get a piece of ss sheet 2' to 3' wide, and 82" - 83" long. Wrap it inside the bottom of the kettle, put the lid on, and mark where the ends need to overlap. Drill a few hoes and either pop rivet it or use screws and nuts. Seal the overlap with food grade heat proof silicon. Drill some holes for the rods and you are ready to go. Be careful not to make it too tall because you will need a step stool to look inside.
                  The thought of rigging something up has definitely crossed my mind, but I doubt I’ll end up going in that direction.

Comment

OK. Here's the school solution: Get a bigger back yard. Problem solved.

Comment

Build a UDS, it won't break the bank and it's a fun project. I did this and I love it for taking to fish camp, deer camp, and when I need some extra capacity. Although 6 pork buts create a hell of a grease fire when you open to wrap, just say'n.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here