Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gateway Drum Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway Drum Smoker

Just got the okay from the wife to spend a little money pampering myself haha. After tons of research and a few youtube videos, I want to go get the 30 gallon gateway drum smoker. Before I do so, I was wondering if anyone on the forum has used it and how they like it!. Much appreciated!

I know you will be happy with your choice.

I know my good friend Sacred Smoke BBQ runs those babies in the competition circuit. He will be able to help you out for sure. He is a regular and should see this soon. He is also on Instagram as well.

Comment

I have a 55 which I won at the first Blues Hog BBQ Contest and purchased a 30 gallon earlier this year. I've had great success hanging ribs in the 55. Not so much in the 30, plus I don't like that I don't have wheels on the 30 gallon.

I'd encourage you to seriously look at the Pit Barrel Cooker. It's a 30 gallon and considerably less than the Gateway. I like their split rack where you can hang in one half and cook on the grate on the other.

Comment

Yeah I have been looking at the Pit Barrel Cooker as an option as well. I am really torn on either that or even spending a little extra to get the 55 gallon gateway. I want something that I can have for a real long time. I know many people have modified their PBC with intakes and the gateway seems to have more stable temperatures than the PBC or at least to dial to the temp you want. Such a hard decision

Comment

• phoccer
          phoccer commented
          Editing a comment
          Coming from a Kettle + SNS setup where I could control temps well, it's taken me a little time to adjust to the PBC being a machine that you don't fuss a lot over temp control. Get the lighting at the start down and temps will be just fine. I've even had it run hot and cook a brisket at 350 and it turned out great.

I have the PBC and feel that no other similarly sized barrel can compete. If you go Gateway, I'd suggest getting the 55 gallon.

Comment

• MSU Spartans
          MSU Spartans commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I am probably over analyzing all of this haha

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with Livermoron! But you may want to buy a PBC to see if barrel cooking is what you want.

As my boy Spinaker said I run a Gateway. I also have 4 pit barrels. Had 6 at one point. If you're thinking 30 gallon, save your money and go with pbc. It's a wonderful cooker. The Gateway 55 is only $100 more than the 30 gallon gateway. Gateway themselves told me to stick with the 55 if I buy more. Also, gateway has a nice sale on 1 particular black 55 model. It is $50 off ($750) and free shipping ($95 I think). I'm considering scooping that up. I'm blown away by my results so far and the cook times are ridiculous. I have done 12lb brisket in 4.5 hours. 8lb butts in 4 hours. Ribs in 1:50 to 2.5 hours. Many of the best competition teams are now cooking on Gateway. The only downside that I can think of right now is that cooking hot n fast means less/minimal bark. And as much as I love a good bark, I don't miss it with the results I'm getting. Feel free to ask any questions you may have

Edit: looks like that free shipping on that one particular barrel is no longer available
        Last edited by Sacred Smoke BBQ; September 25, 2017, 07:32 PM. Reason: Price change

Comment

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Add some turbinado sugar at the end of the rub dusting. Builds Bark!

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
          Sacred Smoke BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          CandySueQ thanks. I will try that. I tend to prefer sweet too

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Just be sure to let the turbinado melt in. Doesn’t really make anything overly sweet. Works for Butts and brisket.

MSU Spartans the pbc does most everything except I prefer to wrap ribs in foil. I like competition style ribs most of the time. Only way to do that on pbc is cutting ribs. The flavor obtained from using quality lump with chunks is so much better than using briquettes. I'm considering buying pitmaster iq to use with pbc so I can control temp with lump...but that means electricity now. If money is not a factor, it's not close....the gateway all the way. Better flavor, temp control, larger capacity, cooks much faster. Also I use less fuel from being able to choke off oxygen.

I will add that it is easier to hang ribs all the way in the pbc. The gateway cooks so fast that it is difficult to time when to check and pull. I lost 1 out of 3 racks all 3 times that I have attempted to hang beginning to end in gateway. The flavor in the pbc is a bit harsh for me now as I have become used to a cleaner smoke flavor. Ask all the questions you'd like. I'm here

Comment

• MSU Spartans
          MSU Spartans commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for your input, what type of lump charcoal do you prefer? Is the flavor profile that much different than a traditional offset smoker? I just love having toys haha

MSU Spartans my favorite lump so far has been fogo premium lump. Excellent stuff. A close 2nd has been blues hog lump. The American made royal oak was good too. I avoid the other 3 royal oak lump sources. All from south America. According to reviews some quality control issues. The royal oak bag will have an obvious Made in the USA stamp on the front. The cost of fogo may be worth it though because it was full of large pieces. I got more cooks out of same size bag as any of the other quality lumps.

Now for flavor profile....I believe I have had the best quality smoke possible, assuming wood was excellent (I buy from same place as most competition teams in the area). I once owned the KBQ. The smoke doesn't get any more pure than that. Ask Spinaker or any other KBQ fan. I cannot duplicate that smoke flavor but I am so much closer to it with the gateway than using briquettes in the pbc. But like I said, I would like to try lump in a pbc with the pitmaster iq and I believe you'll get same great flavor as gateway. Lots of pros and cons. In an ideal world where money or space was not an issue, I would have 4 gateways and a custom 1000 gallon propane tank offset smoker lol

Comment

Sacred Smoke BBQ
          I agree FOGO is great stuff. I burns forever. As you mentioned, every bag is full of huge pieces, along with smaller ones too..
          I want to try FOGO in the PBC, I may try that this weekend. I think some ribs with Cherry smoke added would be a good place to start. I love that combo in my kamados. I used FOGO with cherry, tonight, on some salmon and the results were spectacular.

Comment

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
            Sacred Smoke BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Please report back with great details on fogo in the pbc. I'm afraid of temp spikes with lump in pbc without temp control....however, I noticed that I have much smaller temp spikes when opening gateway while using fogo. I'm guessing due to so many large pieces??? Oh boy I'll be waiting for your report!

Went searching for Fogo in my area. Bad news, closest place is 3 hours away. Good news, my son goes to school in the same town. Wonder if the wife would notice if another bag of charcoal showed up in the garage. Hmm....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here