Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone used a Barrelhouse Cooker? (very similar to a PBC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adamcoe
    replied
    Oh I see...as usual it is much more complicated than it seems. That is a bummer as they both appear to be great, well built products. Probably the best way to solve this is to cook 8 racks of ribs in each of them and have amazingribs.com members taste test it out. Then a turkey in each, then a brisket in each. Average the scores. Then repeat a couple of dozen times for accuracy and so all the members get to eat something. Winner gets to be called "Awesomest Barrel Cooker Company" and loser is called "2nd Best But Still Really Awesome Barrel Cooker Company." My law degree from Hollywood Upstairs Law School will be available for inspection at anyone's disposal :P

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, cooking and hanging is a blast! Awesome flavor. The PBC folks were going to do business with a company and the company used proprietary information in a not so legal way.

• adamcoe
    replied
    Ahh OK...all news to me, I literally just found about it down a Youtube rabbit hole a couple of hours ago. Can't imagine what the legal trouble is, it's not like the Pit Barrel people invented 30 gallon drums, or cooking in them, not to mention their product, while similar, has easily noticeable differences. Anyhoo they both look cool as hell and I'm definitely looking into one. Looks like a great way to be able to cook a lot of stuff without using up a lot of real estate on your patio or deck. Been watching some videos and they seem to work pretty damn awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    Our website has yet to review it, or at least release it due to the pending lawsuit. Not sure if any active members have one, you're the first to mention in quite some time.

• adamcoe
    replied
    So you sent me a link to...not a review?

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    The Barrel House Cooker makes an 18 inch diameter UDS that very closely resembles Pit Barrel Cooker, a company we admire very much. Indeed, Pit Barrel took legal action against Barrel House. Read our review. In a settlement, the owners of Pit Barrel received a lump sum and acquired Barrel House.

Leave a comment:

• adamcoe
    started a topic Anyone used a Barrelhouse Cooker? (very similar to a PBC)

Anyone used a Barrelhouse Cooker? (very similar to a PBC)

So I'm researching my next purchase and the PBC had certainly caught my eye and was in the running...then I stumbled across the Barrelhouse Cooker...incredibly similar, but a few details got me thinking about that one over the PBC. First, the fact that the main barrel part comes off the base, so you can just lift up the barrel to add coals (and also you can use it as a hibachi which is sort of neat though admittedly I don't think I'd use that particular feature much), and second, the movable coal basket makes it easy to bring it close to the top, slap on your (included) regular grill and use it for burgers and the like, whereas I believe that while this is still possible in the PBC, you have to sort of reach down into the barrel to use it in this fashion. Oh it's also 50 bucks cheaper which is pretty awesome. The stuff that comes with it seems essentially the same; there's a thing to hang the hooks from, 8 hooks, a standard "regular" grill. For what it's worth the Barrelhouse also comes with an integrated thermometer as well though as usual I *probably* wouldn't trust it any more than say, the one that comes with a Weber kettle or whatever, so while you don't get one with the PBC, I don't imagine I'd use it much anyway so I don't count it as too much of a plus.

Anyhoo, anyone have experience with the BHC? Looks like a great alternative both price-wise and I love the easy access to the coals.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here