Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone used a Barrelhouse Cooker? (very similar to a PBC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod
    commented on 's reply
    RonB Exactly. If a company uses less than ethical means to get started, then how ethical do they operate?

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    Anyone ca buy whatever cooker they want, but these guys left a bad taste in my mouth. If they are willing to do what they did, I can only wonder how their customer service is...

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Agreed - they are paying royalties now, legal stuff is over, so if that is the cooker you like, go for it.

• JeffJ
    commented on 's reply
    I completely agree. This lawsuit was settled and Barrel House is still in business. It looks to be a good value and if it's appealing to you then you should consider it with no reservations.

• Nate
    commented on 's reply
    +1

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    I'm glad to hear Noah prevailed!

• adamcoe
    replied
    Well the last thing I want to do while cooking is be thinking about the politics of this vs. that, especially when it comes to an idea that was around long before either company was building anything. Also if both sides are happy with the outcome (as it appears they are), I consider the matter closed and essentially none of my business. I just want to get the best cooker I can get for the money.

Anyway thanks for the input all, at the end of the day it's all just about cooking delicious food! Got a couple months to mull this over (I'm currently out of the country for work so sadly no grilling for me for a while) and come springtime I'll figure out what I'm gonna do. Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    I don't have a vested interest in barrel cookers, as I do not own one. That said, personally, if I ever order a prebuilt 14-18 inch barrel cooker, it will be a PBC, simply because I've been on both ends of patent lawsuits in my employment as an engineer, and I don't like supporting someone who apparently infringed enough to where they are in fact now paying patent royalties in perpetuity to the Pitbarrel Cooker company. I'd rather support the original.

On having the barrel body removable, my opinion is that while it may make refueling more convenient, it also will lead to more air leaks and potential inability to control the fire, if you want to control it. I also feel that the PBC design, being one piece, is better for transport if you want to take it with you somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    Ok guys, this was posted to the PBC Facebook page on July 20th, 2018:

Pit Barrel Cooker Co, LLC, the world’s leading premium vertical barrel cooking brand, agreed to settle a lawsuit concerning Pit Barrel’s confidential business information and trade secrets filed in the United States District Court for the District of Colorado in December 2015. In the lawsuit, Pit Barrel also alleged that the Barrel House Cooker infringed upon its U.S. Patent (No. 8,919,334).

The lawsuit was resolved on May 25, 2018 with the entry of a joint stipulation to dismiss the case. As a part of the settlement, Barrel House Cooker, LLC and its parent company M.D. Manufacturing, Inc. of Bakersfield, California agreed to make a financial payment and then future royalty payments under a licensing agreement.

Pit Barrel’s President Noah E. Glanville stated, "We're pleased with the results that we achieved in this case. We will continue to defend our innovations and intellectual property which simply cooks some of the best food you’ve ever tasted, with no hassle. Amber and I appreciate the support of our loyal customers and the dedicated fans of the PBC."

Leave a comment:

• Rod
    replied
    I have a PBC and would not touch a BarrelHouse. Obviously Noah had a legit case against them. I read the details of the lawsuit a while back and there is no way I would do anything to support a company like BarrelHouse. That's just me.

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    replied
    I read the accusations in the lawsuit. Pretty damning stuff, if true. I have a PBC and really like it, but if BarrelHouse has caught your eye I'm sure it cooks perfectly well.

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    replied
    I agree with RonB . I have read most of the threads about the PBC on this site and met Noah Glanville at the Bahama Meat Up a couple years ago. A PBC is definitely on my radar and I will have a hard time Not Buying the Original PBC! MCS is hovering over our house right now.

Leave a comment:

• Histrix
    replied
    The lawsuit between the two companies was settled out of court and PBC got some cash and get's a royalty from sales of BHC's. Seems both companies walked away satisfied.

I've never quite got the hype for PBC's but they seemed like a decent deal for what you get. The BHC also seems to be a decent deal for what you get and I like some of the features of the BHC over the PBC.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Members who have been around long enough probably won't buy one because of the way we understand they went into business. I know it left a very bad taste in my mouth, and I wouldn't want to support them in any way.

Leave a comment:

• Bighorn Dave
    replied
    Well if they are that cheap, and you are a lawyer so can easily afford it , why not just buy the dang thing, try it out and give us all a first hand review?

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here