Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Pappa Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC) Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Comment

Indeed, looks awesome.

Comment

Nicely done! Congrats on your Big Poppa Drum Smoker.

Comment

Here is a better picture. From the neighbor kids iPhone 6, of course he has one.

IMG_0898.JPG

Comment

Wow, I couldn't accomplish that in a decade of Sundays. Really cool.

Comment

How long did it take to do?

Comment

• tomtel84
                tomtel84 commented
                Editing a comment
                It took me a good part of a day for everything with the stripping and painting taking most of the time because I had to let it cool. I guess the drilling took two to three hours, I think. I was doing other projects mixed in with this one so it's hard to say. I would say if you plan on a day to complete you would be safe.

That is nice!! Show pic's when you fire it up

Comment

• tomtel84
                tomtel84 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep that's the plan.....I think Tuesday will be the seasoning run and I'll probably put a small butt or a rack of ribs since I'll have it hot. I'm trying to figure out how to setup for indirect cooking and I know I need to make a modification for the height of the cooking rack because it doesn't provide for a lot or room to the lid. I couldn't put a turkey in that space for example.

We couldn't wait until Tuesday. We ran the smoker with some oil on the walls to season for a couple of hours. We put a small butt on first, then we decided to warm a ham that was cooked a couple of days ago. Then my wife came home with a slab of spare ribs, so we thought we would see if it would fit. As you can see it took some rearanging but we got it in.

The barrel likes to run right at 250 so not bad for a butt. We used the minion method on the charcoal to see if we could extend the cook. I'm in the middle of the cook, so once I get done I'll post the results.

20141221_163754.jpg

20141221_163807.jpg

20141221_170908.jpg

20141221_170920.jpg

Comment

• smarkley
                smarkley commented
                Editing a comment
                VERY NICE!

Now I want one... oh wait

Great job!

I have been thinking about just getting the damper for the lid and putting it on the PBC, but after seeing Jerod's, Spinaker's and Matt's pipe mods I'm not sure which way to go now.

Comment

Looks good, would love to have that extra capacity a 50 gal would give.

Comment

Looks fantastic - I hope your son is appreciative. While you had the drill out, did you consider putting in 4 holes for hanging rods like the PBC? Or are you saving that for his birthday?

Comment

Well I couldn't get the final pix. All the kids stopped by just as we took the meat out of the cooler, and by the time I got back in the house they were half-way through the meat. So no after pix. Damn!

My son and I were looking at how to hang through the lid, and I see a mod in our future.

We also need to figure out a way to put a heat deflector in above the coals; that would help a lot.

Lastly, we talked about cutting an access panel in the side so we could reload the coals without moving the cooking area. We added some coals towards the end of the eight hours, but when we pulled the meat off we had way too many remaining, so we probably could have made it with what we had.

Overall I'm very impressed and it worked great. I just need to figure out how to buy one for myself, with the bosses permission of course.

Comment

That looks awesome! Did you test how hot or cool it could get? Just curious on the heat range it may have. You did a bang up job on it!!

Comment

• tomtel84
                        tomtel84 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes, I was able to get it down to 200F and up to 400F pretty easy. It also response really quick to changes in vents. It is affected by wind and rain a lot, yep the wind started to blow, then it rained, then it snowed, but I was able to adjust to compensate. I had to stay on top of it when that happened. It really likes to run at 250F when environments cooperate.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here