Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catching the temp - UDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catching the temp - UDS

Any temps for getting the temp on a UDS exactly where you want it? I am usually within 20 degrees of where i think i wanna be. but i am in Vegas and its already 110 outside and usually very dry heat. I find that 225 is really hard to get. and 250 is easy. I am using kingsford comp briquettes, and the minion method. Where ever the temp settles is awesome and keeps there for a long time (longest has been 13 hours but could go way more).

Robert, sometimes you just have to go with what it wants to run with. 250 is still technically low and slow.

Those comp briquettes also burn a lot hotter than the standard blue and white.

Comment

Didn't realize they burned hotter. I am doing a brisket point for burnt ends right now. I have it settled at 215. But trying to slowly mess with it to get it hotter. This time i closed the vents mostly off around 150 and i am letting it creep. How much vent do you have open / closed on your intakes?

Comment

I run a PBC (Pit Barrel Cooker) and it has one vent that stays put. I use exhaust vents to control temp.

Looks like you are figuring it out.

I know one guy that has a small vertical ring of expanded metal in the middle of his charcoal basket. It may be about 3" in diameter. This has helped with more even temps.

Comment

I am using the Big Poppa kit. so i end up with a sliver of one hole open. that seems to keep it steady.

Comment

I'm in North Las Vegas (Decatur and Cheyenne) and we're seeing close to 105 right now. My oldest step-son is getting ready to do a bunch (8 each, the whole famn damly is over) of chicken thighs and drumsticks on the COS so he'll be playing with vents, too. The only thing I can think of for a UDS is to use fewer live coals at a time and feed more often so you can run the vents more open. But I'm a stick-burner so that could be completely wrong.

Comment

I am using 10 to light the UDS. and have just a sliver open. As you know the wind just picked up. at least here in henderson. So i had to close one side and open it up on the other. now im contending with wind being blow into the vent lol.

Comment

First thing I'd do is switch to kingsford blue bag. As Jerod said they run cooler. If that doesn't fix it try lighting with 6 or 8 briquettes instead of ten. It's easier to coax a fire hotter than cooler.

Comment

You folks gotta understand that here in Vegas we can see our cook chambers run 150+ degrees with NO fire lit during the summer.

Comment

Thanks for the input. yesterday i managed to keep it right at 225. It was a bit cooler outside. no more than 100 degrees so that helped a bit. But pit boss ill take your recomend and use a few less starters as well. Once im out of the charcoal im using ill try the blue and see what i notice to be the difference.

Comment

Good to hear.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here