Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modification on homemade 55 gallon smoker (UDS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modification on homemade 55 gallon smoker (UDS)

I am going to build a second, homemade Ugly Drum Smoker and have a question about an adjustment I would like to make. The bolts that are inserted into the drum and hold the grates are a little aggravating. So I would like to make them retractable. The only way I see to do that, is to use inside/outside threaded nuts and then screw in bolts at my desire elevation.
    I wonder if someone has figure this out already?
    Or, maybe someone has devised a sliding system?

Thanks,

Marcus
    DIPA

I don't know much about mods of this sort...but thinking out loud here, I assume simply tilting the grate and moving it up or down to another set of bolts then squaring it up to rest on them won't work?

Comment

• marcusrench
      marcusrench commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes Huskee, but that is what bothers me and why I started rethinking the design before I build another one.

These would work nicely from McMastercarr
    McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Retractable Spring Plunger with L-Handle

Steel, Lock Nose, 3/8"-16 Thread, .3-1.3 lb. Nose Force

Comment

How about welding nuts to the outside and then putting wing bolts in from the outside and or then use Powersmoke_80 's idea.

Comment

the metal adjustable shelf channels work great for this. The shelf brackets are easy to remove and adjust height when needed.

Comment

How about drilling three holes 120 degrees apart and using 1/8" ss rod as supports. The top of the rod should be bent at ~ 45 degrees, and the bottom bent at 90 degrees. The top bend would go in the holes just drilled, and the 90 degree bend would support the grate. You can make a set of rods for each different height you want the grate supported. Or you could drill several sets of holes at different heights and use one set of rods.

Comment

marcusrench Here's a cheapskate's version of Powersmoke_80's suggestion:

Click image for larger version  Name:	grate support.JPG Views:	1 Size:	36.2 KB ID:	249819 ​
            It's just a hex bolt with a hole drilled through the centerline and an appropriately sized nail slid through.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here