Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barrel House??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barrel House??

Has anyone had any dealings with this one? I've searched here and couldn't find.. Just wondering.. 20 gauge steel and smaller than the PBC.. Just wondering.. Since I like toys.. They even have a comparison chart to the PBC and Big Poppa... I wonder..

We have created the versatile Pit Barrel Cooker as the original vertical drum smoker and charcoal grill. Get your barrel smoker and charcoal grill today.

OH OH!! This is interesting Max Good

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm aware of this new product and will keep an eye on them.

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm thinking just for kicks to grab and check it out.. 30 day return guarantee isn't a bad deal..

I like the bottom, but I don't see the need. For me the PBC is good but I would like it a little larger, an additional rack (if you aren't hanging it is mostly worthless), easier to dump and maybe taller or more protection, oh and pray you don't need to add coals.
    Somebody named Weber already fixed all of that, they have a WSM the size of the barrel house, one the size of the PBC-ish, and one bigger than both.

So Ernest I know you love your PBC, I enjoy mine as well, but what do you get out of your PBC that you don't feel you get with the WSM? I love the PBC for learning, but I would as soon use my Weber's for 99% of my cooks.

Comment

_John_ I did quite a bit of experimenting with WSM 22.5 running it as a PBC. The only thing I miss from the PBC is the manly drum look and the portability.
      Otherwise, WSM 22.5 I emphasize WSM 22.5, will give you everything and more over the PBC. I can hang meat using my cast iron grate ring, I can hang AND lay some food flat on grate at the same.

That probably explains why I gave my PBC away.

Comment

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        Ernest Good info particularly as I have been debating between a PBC and 22.5 WSM for almost a year now.

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        JeffJ if you can pull off the WSM 22.5 go for it. I can't recommend the WSM 18.5 over the PBC though.

• Timcee
        Timcee commented
        Editing a comment
        I gave my PBC away too.. However, I missed it terribly over the Holidays because of it's ease.. So I ended up going to my friend's house to use it.. lololol.. I had too many dishes to cook and the set and forget it (using charcoal since I haven't gone to the pellet side) is what I needed..

This has been interesting behind the scene for some time.

Comment

Jerod Broussard So this has been on the radar...well maybe I'll grab it just for kicks since there's a 30 day guarantee on it...

Comment

• Rfuilrez
          Rfuilrez commented
          Editing a comment
          I wish you had posted this the other day. In a drunken binge I ponied up for a PBC on January 1st, and it shipped this morning! I might have took this instead, and tried it for the 30 days.

What thickness is the PBC? 20 gauge seems awfully light to me, that's about 1/32 of an inch. With the cooking heat and exposure to the elements would it hold up for very long?

Comment

• Rfuilrez
          Rfuilrez commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol no. The PBC is 18 and 20 gauge. This is only 20. So PBC is slightly thicker in some spots.

• Timcee
          Timcee commented
          Editing a comment
          Rf.. yea I had a buddy tell me after discussing.. Guess I'll still to cooking and less measurements..lol.. Thanks...

• KARB2014
          KARB2014 commented
          Editing a comment
          The original powder coated PBC were 20 gauge. The new ones that are porcelain coated are 18 gauge.

Btw, not to mention that you can call the PBC company and talk to the owner himself.. I don't know what this company's customer service is but once again.. PBC has a great rep.. But if ya gots room for one more..

Comment

Must admit this is a much nicer looking steel drum all in all.

Comment

Sold caskets for years. The explanation of gauge that I would give to people was the number of sheets of steel to make an inch. 4 gauge equals .25 inch per sheet. 18 gauge is thicker than 20 gauge.

Comment

• Timcee
              Timcee commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the clear up! Guess I should stay out of the measuring business..lol

I'm glad I'm done looking into smokers/cooker. LOL!!!

Comment

• oldsteve
              oldsteve commented
              Editing a comment
              Amen to that! Unless Bill Karau comes out with a super-duper replacement for the current KBQ, I have no interest in looking at any of the new, latest, greatest cookers coming down the road. I'm all set for the foreseeable future.

Originally posted by johnsteen View Post
            Sold caskets for years. The explanation of gauge that I would give to people was the number of sheets of steel to make an inch. 4 gauge equals .25 inch per sheet. 18 gauge is thicker than 20 gauge.
            That explains why it took me 12 shots with my 12 gauge to get that pheasant that one time. I get it now!

Comment

• MBMorgan
              MBMorgan commented
              Editing a comment
              Be glad you're not shooting a 20!

• Jon Solberg
              Jon Solberg commented
              Editing a comment
              12 gauge = 12 balls per pound. Oh wrong unit of measure. Never mind.

• The Burn
              The Burn commented
              Editing a comment
              Lol

This product looks pretty cool and I like the versatility of the split racks. Nevertheless, at the end of the day it's a barrel/bullet smoker and they all have many of the same strengths/weaknesses.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here