Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clean out fire/smoke channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clean out fire/smoke channel

y’all help a brother out. How can I get the inside of this thing clean? I guess where charcoal dust has blown in there over the years, it’s starting to cake. Any ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	FA925EAA-3EB9-4BC6-B154-DEB30A4B8819.jpeg
Views:	203
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	902910Click image for larger version

Name:	ACF83CA2-7A28-4DB3-B7EF-FC5D2CBEB7D2.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	902908Click image for larger version

Name:	094FB265-4C6C-4AAD-A8A8-8CF9464AA14D.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	902909

2 - 1½-¾~ish putty knives...1 stiff, 1 flexible

Lotsa elbow grease

Angle drill, multiple wire wheels (gloves, faceshield, apron, etc. advised...)

Pressure washer

Chemicals, if'n ya see fit...I don't use any in my cookers...

Then:

Comment

Steam clean?

Comment

Some ideas from someone who in a past lifetime had to clean ships boilers fueled by Bunker C.

Assuming you don’t have bead blaster machine which would be first choice.

Chemical would work for thick pack but those that do aren’t going to generally be food safe.

Hammer drill with blunt chisel to try and knock some pack off inside channel and create fractures In the accumulated pack. Probably can also do this through the holes if large enough. Then place metal plate on top of channel and use hammer chisel on the plate to vibrate entire channel, raking out any pack that drops. Follow up with wire wheel on extension.

High pressure steam would work but you need someway to be collecting the debris as it is freed or you will have a wet mess.

You could try pressure washing but that can also leave an awful mess and a big cleanup if you can’t drain most off.

Good luck.

Comment

Buy a new smoker. You know you want one. Do it.

Comment

• SavageSmoke
            SavageSmoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Definitely. But my next is a pbc I think.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here