Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Gravity Fed Insulated Cooker...Should I, or Shouldn't I? #YourHelpNeeded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!

Currently moving across town. I got all the pits moved, so I'm good.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Nice project PtRL. Can't wait to see some pics of cook!

Leave a comment:

• PaulstheRibList
    commented on 's reply
    I'm quickly learning!

• _John_
    replied
    Awesome, interested to see how that monster cooks.

Leave a comment:

• PaulstheRibList
    replied
    I've got her cooking outside. I'll start another thread called, "My Big Gravity Fed Learning Curve"

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    allright PaulstheRibList !!!!!! You da man!

Leave a comment:

• PaulstheRibList
    commented on 's reply
    That's my job!

• Huskee
    replied
    Cool! Reminds me of Jon Solberg's project too. You guys make The Pit fun.

Leave a comment:

• PaulstheRibList
    replied
    Well, Houston trip was a success!

We got this (the HUGE cooker, six feet tall, three foot wide and 30 inch deep cooking chamber...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3052.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	96812

And this (14 month seasoned Post Oak)

Name:	IMG_3043-90.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	96813

Got it home, and the 50 cfm blower on the pit temp controller didn't work, so I'll have to wait a few days for the replacement fan, so, I got to looking at that blue paint, and, well...

I'm good with the Houston Texan's and all. I'm a Oilers fan from way back. But we crossed the Sabine River bringing this thing home, and, well, I'm a HUGE New Orleans Saints guy, and we cook #WhoDatRibs for every Saints game for 2 years now, so...OFF WITH THE BLUE!

The Texan's decal was the first to go.

Name:	IMG_3096.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	96806

Then I broke out the DA sander...did I mention yet that this thing is LARGE! And, that the guy who fabricated it used a GRINDER, not a sander, on the side panels and all over? And that the prior 2 coats of paint, well the last coat, blue, was not that good, and therefore Much sanding is needed.

Name:	IMG_3105.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	96809

Good thing we bought the big, 2-stage Ingersoll Rand Air Compressor last year. If you sand a Blue BBQ Pit for a few hours, you turn blue: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3103.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	96808

Then we cleaned it off, taped off a few things, and started putting down the High-Temp Black, that is Step 1 in the #WhoDat conversion process. This is my brother, Bill. He can do anything! My enthusiasm for smoking ribs has spilled over to him, and he did his first ribs on his new Weber kettle I got him last week!.

Name:	IMG_3116.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	96807
    And the finished Black Coat:

Name:	IMG_3119.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	96810

And me and Bill

Name:	IMG_3120.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	96811

Bill is taping out a Fleur De Lis on the front door, and He's going to paint Gold around it for Step 2 of the #WhoDat conversion!

That's hopefully happening tomorrow.

Isn't this fun!

paul
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    I'm 3 hours northeast of Houston if it needs a 20 year carryover.

Have a safe trip!!!

• PaulstheRibList
    replied
    I'm going to Houston to pick up this monster tomorrow!

So, of course, I agreed to cook 10 briskets for a pastor buddy in 2 weeks! He's got a bunch of kids from the neighborhood going to camp, and we are treating them and their parents to a meal together as they complete it. Way Fun.

I'll keep you guys informed

#BiggerThanAStumpsXL

I think it would fit in Jerod Broussard's new backporch!

Leave a comment:

• PaulstheRibList
    commented on 's reply
    Great tip, #JerodKingofBrisket

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Paul, I would get it just for the insulation.

Waiting to add water until you have the bark you want is how you get bark in them things.

Leave a comment:

• PaulstheRibList
    replied
    How about a more general question:

What are the significant differences in cooking outcomes in using an insulated style cooker?

Do the gravity feed's produce a different outcome than the charcoal bed ones that seem to be more prolific?

I'm a Mrs. Brown (aka Bark) fanatic, and I'm guessing that the stick burner, with it's high airflow, will be the king of bark, and these insulated cookers will be behind them. I'm super happy with the bark my WSM's put on my Ribs with Memphis Dust - will I have a different outcome with an insulated cooker?

Leave a comment:

• Big Gravity Fed Insulated Cooker...Should I, or Shouldn't I? #YourHelpNeeded

As some of you know, I'm having big fun learning to BBQ, and the quality of the food and my willingness to spread the BBQ joy has me cooking bigger and bigger gigs. I'm at two 22.5 WSM's, a 22 inch Offset (like a Yoder Witicha), and a commercial dryer converted to a smoker (not as easy to access and use).

I'm absolutely going to build a big offset to smoke brisket's and such on, but for the many times I'm not going to be up for staying up all night tending a fire (or hiring someone to do so), I'm looking for an insulated pellet cooker or gravity feed cooker. I'd like to have a pit that will that can handle a lot of food and fit sideways on the back of a BBQ Concession Trailer . I want to be able to cook for big parties and such, and the insulated cookers seem easier to use if I don't want to tend a fire the entire time.

I found this one for $1650, and it has piqued my interest. I'd love some feedback from my Pit Peeps who have had the joy of cooking a lot of food on a big gravity fed insulated cooker. Or can steer me off the cliff if I need to go another direction.

This one is local build, modeled after a Stumps XL Stretch, but a shade bigger. Owner/builder says it's got 2" insulation, water pans, 6' tall and 6 foot wide, 3' deep. He says that 20 pounds of charcoal will last 16 hours at 250. Charcoal chute can hold 60 pounds. He also says the firepan/ash box is large enough to burn as a stick burner as well. Comes with an automatic temp control device with a 50 cfm fan.

Here she is:

Name:	gravity1.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	89904

Top door open:

Name:	gravity2.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	89905

Both doors open:

Name:	gravity3.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	89901

Exit pipe side:

Name:	gravity4.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	89902

Feed box and air intake side:

Name:	gravity5.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	89903
    I'd love some feedback, and any questions I need to have answered before I take the next step.

Thanks!!
    paul

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here