Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dyna Glo Wide Vertical Offset Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna Glo Wide Vertical Offset Question

Has anyone here installed a BBQ guru fan to this offset smoker? If so, how exactly did you do it? I know this is a super cheap pit compared to what a lot of you have. I don't know if it's worth doing the mod or not.

I've had good luck with the performance of the smoker but I've been babysitting it a lot and no longer have the time to do that. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I'm also not opposed to replacing it if that's a better decision. Just can't spend more than $800 and want the charcoal flavor without all of the work.

The BBQ Guru and other ATC's are all about air control. That will be tough to accomplish on a Dyna Glo. I'm sure that you are producing great food on it anyway and babysitting is fun some times. If you want to add a hands-off smoker to the arsenal that will work really well with a Guru look at the Weber Smokey Mountain- (330 for the 18 and 430 for the 22). I run my WSM with a controller and I get 12-13 hours straight without touching it. I know of people that get much longer times but that's a mystery to me and 12 is plenty for me.

Comment

• jpietrantone
      jpietrantone commented
      Editing a comment
      tenphases I was literally just reading some of the WSM threads thinking the same thing. I also have a Weber kettle that I love. It's just not big enough when giving up half for indirect heat. What ATC do you recommend? Would you go Fireboard or UltraQ?

And now that we have a 2 year old, All my time is taken up chasing her around and taking care of our property. I thought about a pellet grill but know that I would miss the taste of charcoal and wood chunks.
      Last edited by jpietrantone; July 23, 2020, 06:49 PM.

• tenphases
      tenphases commented
      Editing a comment
      Pellets are really convenient and they produce good food, just saying! I have never used an ultra q but I love love love my fireboard.

Originally posted by jpietrantone View Post
    Has anyone here installed a BBQ guru fan to this offset smoker? If so, how exactly did you do it? I know this is a super cheap pit compared to what a lot of you have. I don't know if it's worth doing the mod or not.

I've had good luck with the performance of the smoker but I've been babysitting it a lot and no longer have the time to do that. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I'm also not opposed to replacing it if that's a better decision. Just can't spend more than $800 and want the charcoal flavor without all of the work.
    Oklahoma joe bronco Around $400 temp is very stable & works great.

Comment

• jpietrantone
      jpietrantone commented
      Editing a comment
      Darchie03 Thanks for the suggestion. Why is the Bronco better than the Smoky Mountain? Not saying it's not, they are just both in the same ballpark and don't really know anything about this smoker.

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't have a WSM I just know the bronco is easy to use & makes good Q

I bit the bullet and got a 22.5 inch WSM ordered with a DIGIq controller and pit viper blower. I think this will provide me with exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here