Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backwoods Smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backwoods Smokers

Who cooks on a backwoods smoker and what do you think about their performance?

I know there are a couple of people but can't remember who. Sorry

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      But you can remember what you smoked in '68???? Pathetic

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard The long term memory is the last to go at least I think. It's all hearsay as far as I can tell.

I have a few entries on this post that gives some info. You can also search this site using Backwoods, Chubby, etc., to find more.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...id-not-go-well

Bottom line for me: Solid, well built. Easy to control without a fan. Great capacity (Chubby G2).
    Last edited by jlazar; July 2, 2020, 07:34 AM.

Comment

I've cooked a few times on a backwoods cabinet smoker. I liked it. Gravity feeder worked well. The one issue we had once was at a competition, I had just removed my brisket when the guy that was cooking chicken out his meat in and added some new wiid, but too much. Wood smoldered and turned the skin on the chicken black. So be careful adding wood during your cook. Gravity feeder so hard to retrieve what u add.

Comment

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        Not aware of any Backwoods that are gravity fed. Besides the charcoal where you use wood chunks, they have a pellet model and one that will burn wood.

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        It was a gravity fed cabinet smoker that I used. It was about 4 years ago and as alluded to, was not mine. I thought is was a backwoods smoker, but I could very likely be wrong. Definitely not a pellet pooper.

I have a Backwoods Chubby:

Click image for larger version  Name:	0A5B0419-171D-4C26-B3CD-04473328A323.jpeg Views:	20 Size:	3.17 MB ID:	890192

I use it for smoking everything:

Click image for larger version  Name:	17716D90-78FD-4F1B-9A49-D9F79BFEE4DC.jpeg Views:	20 Size:	2.37 MB ID:	890193Click image for larger version  Name:	99392F00-ECC6-471C-BA35-6BC9C2512FCC.jpeg Views:	20 Size:	1.18 MB ID:	890194Click image for larger version  Name:	49E57E91-6629-40C4-B006-9287D0254E24.jpeg Views:	20 Size:	4.17 MB ID:	890195Click image for larger version  Name:	39444D77-FE43-46BC-B847-5418914C0B82.jpeg Views:	20 Size:	3.44 MB ID:	890196Click image for larger version  Name:	9240B1D2-C9A6-4310-B361-B144F9B86605.jpeg Views:	20 Size:	4.77 MB ID:	890197

I have also used it as a grill by removing the water pan and the heat deflector. This makes the best smoky and crispy chicken I’ve ever been able to make:

Click image for larger version  Name:	9924A70A-64CA-4682-8A00-7F8D0E2BB018.jpeg Views:	20 Size:	5.29 MB ID:	890199Click image for larger version  Name:	DD7E54F1-AC84-4A23-9C0E-F269BD65D4ED.jpeg Views:	20 Size:	3.38 MB ID:	890198

Needless to say, I like this smoker a lot. Although it’s easy to manage the temp with just the vents, I use a DigiQ DX2. With it, I’ve been able to leave it unattended for hours, and the temp just doesn’t budge.

I started out using Kingsford charcoal, but I’ve switched to B&B after reading glowing reviews here (pun intended). That has made a huge difference for longer cooks and especially in flavor. Unfortunately, it’s getting hard to find during quarantine.

Hope this has been helpful.
      Last edited by Uncajohn; August 2, 2020, 10:18 AM.

Comment

I have had a Backwoods Competitor for about 20 years. Really like it. It’s a world class rib cooker. Great pork butt cooker, VG on brisket and in my opinion not very good on chicken. Because of the water pan and the humidity, the chicken skin comes out rubbery. Just my opinion.
        Attached Files

Comment

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          Uncrispy chicken skin is why sweet baby Jesus invented blow torches.

Looks like a hell of a cooker

• Uncajohn
          Uncajohn commented
          Editing a comment
          I said in my post above that I remove the water pan and the heat deflector when I do chicken. That not entirely true.

First, I leave the deflector in and line the water pan (with no water) with aluminum foil to catch the drippings. Smoke the spatchcocked chicken breast up at 300-350 degrees F until the internal temp is ~150 degrees.

Then I remove both pan and deflector, and turn the chicken skin side down over the exposed fire. That really crisps up the skin nicely.

I was impressed with the way your chicken came out. Looked good with a nice crisp😋

Comment

I have the chubby 3400 and it great can do 40ls of pork butts or 8 racks of ribs just to give you an idea for size pack the charcoal right and around an 8 hr burn before needing to refill. Holds 225 like a champ! Hope this helps
          Attached Files

Comment

This thread gives me stage 3 MCS

Comment

• Uncajohn
              Uncajohn commented
              Editing a comment
              Please excuse my ignorance, but what’s "MCS"?

• Donw
              Donw commented
              Editing a comment
              Uncajohn More Cooker Syndrome. Something you often catch hanging around here

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here