Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learning experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning experience

Great learning experience Saturday morning: 17# (pretrimmed) SRF Black Wagyu Brisket. Oakridge Black Ops rub. KKB charcoal and white oak lumps in the LSG cabinet. Started at 9:15am doing everything that has worked before. Cooker holding steady at about 245°F. At 7:00pm IT is 195°F still some more to go. It’s 8:45 temp had been going down for about the last hour so the meat was at 195°F still and cooker was down to 210°F and falling. Took the brisket off, wrapped in foil and into a 250°F oven for an hour or so.
    I had some left over partially burned charcoal from the prior cook still in the basket so I thought I would use that with mostly new charcoal added. Note to self; Don’t do that again!
    205°F nice and tender and time to pull and wrap for hold. So the day was saved. I really like the bark the Black Ops gives.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	858358
    As a side note while this was cooking. My Daughter and Partner came up and I did some steaks on the Klose grill. Tri tip, cowboy rib eye, and 3-8oz fillets. Threw on some corn on the cob and green onions. Added some garlic herb butter for the steaks and mashed potatoes and strawberry short cake for dessert.
    No problem on this cook and everyone enjoyed the get together and they went home with some leftovers. But no pictures so maybe this part was just my imagination.

Looks pretty good to me. A bit darker bark than what I’m used to seeing, but perhaps that’s the rub you mentioned using.
    I’m curious as to the left over charcoal issue and why you are not planning on doing that again. Not sure I’m following the lesson learned just yet.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Ricardo

Comment

Ricardo I heard in other threads, which I can not remember where, that used charcoal does not burn as well as fresh. That is the only thing that was different this cook and other times I get 15 to 20 hour burns.
      Hopefully someone with more experience on this can chime in. Troutman FireMan Mr. Bones
      Last edited by ofelles; June 7, 2020, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Used coals will still 'burn', though definitely not as vigorously / efficently, in my personal experience.
        Please see my post, below.

Most Excellent, Brother!
      Congrats on not only a fine meal, but even more so on yer resourcefulness, an cookin skillz to recognize that

A: there was a problem
      B:Identify, isolate th source of impendin failure
      C:Find a viable solution that remedied it.
      D:Serve a fantastic meal (Menu has me droolin an envious) successfully, an in a timely fashion.

Signs of a very skilled, experienced, an talented cook, Brother...I know a few

My Beloved Cowboy Hat is duly doffed, in honour of yer success.

I can fully relate to th used coals decision a bit later...I do it alla th time, cookin at home, but emphatically Do Not recommend doin it fer any critical event.
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 7, 2020, 03:37 PM.

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Mr. Bones But I do feel more like a hack who gets lucky more often than not.

All I can add is all briskets do not cook the same.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        +1, an an Instant Nominee fer "Understatement of th Year" lol Brother!

Slice that bad Larry and give us a look !!!!

Comment

Ditto on the do not part. I use em fer dogs, brats & mebbee burgs. Agree totally with Bonesy, yer resourcefulness must have been very satisfying. If there is any doubt as to what you accomplished & how, needs to be dispelled! Great cook & I loves the "crust".

Comment

I use leftover charcoal regularly, but not for long cooks. I mix some in with fresh for hot and fast cooks.

Bottom line is that ya done good...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Same same here...
            When I'm settin up a cooker fer longer cooks, or time critical things, I unceremoniously dump em in a wee lil galvie can I have, then burn em up with some fresh, lightin my firepit.
            No hurries, no worries...

Yeah, he done Good, an then some!

Anybody wanna show pics of their first butt???

I wouldn't share mine, fer Money, Marbles, or Chalk!

I used to try and use leftover charcoal. These days I just let it burn to help clean/sanitize the smoker/grill.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Good method, Brother!

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            At the end of a cook I open the dampers on our BKK and let it rage.
            Nothing useful left after that.

Finally got around to cutting the brisket open. Giving 1/2 to a friend.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket 2.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	858553

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like yer friend is gonna be very pleased...

Nice Job, amigo!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here