Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camp Chef v Masterbuilt Gravity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camp Chef v Masterbuilt Gravity

I have reached the point where if I want another smoker, I have to get rid of an existing one. So as I look at the Masterbuilt Gravity and drool and think of getting it I contemplate why. I already have charcoal smokers so I would be getting it for convenience. My existing "convenience setup" is a Camp Chef pro dlx with sear box so it would have to go. I just would hate having buyers remorse. Buuuttttt the true convenience of a pellet with flavor of a WSM....... but it doesnt look like its made as well.......awww man, not sure what to do!!

Lots of pros and cons there. I kinda wish I would have waited on the Woodwind to see more about the Masterbuilt. However, the pellet grill looks a little easier to clean and lights itself (not that it looks hard at all with the Masterbuilt). Owning multiple fuel sources could be a blessing or a curse, would allow you to run whatever is on sale, but you have to store both charcoal and pellets. High heat charcoal grilling in 7 minutes would be nice. I know I'm not really helping, but expressing my condolences for your current MCS flare up.

Comment

• Driverdan
      Driverdan commented
      Editing a comment
      I, too, was set on the Woodwind WIFI 36 until the MB showed up! I ordered the bigger 1050, and now the waiting is driving me crazy!!!

I would never get excited about a new product dependent on hi-tech, computerized equipment made by a company noted for making cheap, low-end products.

Comment

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      Well said

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Unless AmazingRibs.com tested it and loves it?

• BBQPhil
      BBQPhil commented
      Editing a comment
      That's great advice. And I would also be wary of hi-tech computerized equipment from companies whose specialty is in another space. Example: Weber. There are so many use cases, network variables, and devices, that the real testing only begins once the product is shipped.

It sounds luke you are in pretty good shape cooker wise. So no rush I presume. As the Masterbuilt gravity fed is pretty new to the market, and with some quality issues with this brand as the post above mentions, you may be wise to beat down your MCS and wait to see how it holds up. Just a thought. Good luck!!

Comment

I've been intrigued by the MB Gravity also. I have a Cabela's pellet smoker now, but like to look around to understand next options. I won't buy a new convenience smoker until my existing one is no longer worth repairing, but I'm curious to know what you decide.

Comment

Yeah , yeah, yeah everyone is right :/
        I would just buy it but itvid has me being extra cautious. I should wait until my Camp Chef craps out but it sure is tempting!

Comment

• marshall
          marshall commented
          Editing a comment
          Or...just buy it , use a few times, and return.....no harm there..lol !

• tenphases
          tenphases commented
          Editing a comment
          Now were talking lol

Never ran a CC, but my brother in law and nephew have them and love them. The MB Gravity is a nice machine, fantastic for its price, FWIW.

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee Saw on the news last night some dam breaks in Michigan. Can't remember what area you're in. Hope it does not effect you.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          ofelles Sorry I was away on a fishing trip and hadn't logged in since early Weds. No I live upstream of those, thankfully. It was terrible the destruction it caused. Gladwin county was my old stomping ground and I knew that dam (Edenville) and lake (Wixom) very well, it's sad to see what happened. Thank you for asking!

The answer is obvious. Comparative Review!

Comment

As a MB560 owner, I have to say, I don't really see any pressing build quality issues. It's well built. I think Huskee puts it well in his review. You can buy a "heirloom smoker" or just a well-built solid smoker that will serve you well until you are ready to move on.

I've also lurked and posted on the MB560 Facebook group for months now. By far the most common build quality issue is poor shipping delivery by a third party (FedEx/UPS etc.) as the smoker arrives damaged. Masterbuilt has been very good per the comments in terms of getting things right and fixed and new parts/smokers shipped out. I'll be honest, for a firm that has a reputation for low-end smokers, the customer service has been really strong (allowing for COVID-19 issues..apparently the best way to contact them now is via FB Messenger?).

We also have a number of MB560 FB members that cook on the smoker nearly daily, putting probably far more wear and tear on it than most of us (okay..some? or just me?) and haven't seen material issues.

For reference, there was a huge discussion over at FB over the hopper chute potentially wearing out leading hundreds of members to order stainless steel sleeves at over $100 a pop to replace chutes that were fine. The actual number of members reported issues with the burn chute that I saw were perhaps 1-2 out of a group that has over 3000 members, and Masterbuilt offered to replace those parts for free under warranty. It was frankly a bit eye-opening for me in terms of seeing group-think in action and one guy making thousands of dollars off parts that MB would replace for free when provided with photo proof.

Again, I get Masterbuilt's reputation. That said, having used the smoker, and seeing members use it far more heavily than I with no issues, I believe we would have seen far more wide-spread build quality issues reported before now if it was truly built like a piece of junk that has so many concerned here.

Comment

• tenphases
            tenphases commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the insight. I hear you on the heirloom cooker versus solid smoker. If I enjoyed the 560 I would probably step up my game to a Stumps or an Assassin anyway.....after saving my pennies for a year or 5!

tenphases There are some cookers that will last forever, the PK pits, for instance, or the Blaze Kamado. I have a good chunk of change invested in my Lone Star Grillz pit. I don't expect it to last forever, but I don't care cause I'm 75, and I'm not going to last forever either. It's quality is impressive, but what I really get out of it is the sheer enjoyment that it brings to me RIGHT NOW, using it to cook almost every night. It really gets down to finances. The Camp Chef will probably continue to put out great food for you for years to come, AND you've got sear capability which is the main bug-a-boo with pellet smokers. When I got my LSG Adjustable, I sold my PK360 because it had been made redundant, but I've still got a RecTec pellet burner and a PBC. If you can, keep as many cookers as you have room for, or can afford. I think it would be pretty hard to fool Huskee or STEbbq about a BBQ product. Darian Kosmos of KosmosQ fame loves his MB Gravity so much he's now a dealer, and believe me, he's no dummy. Only you know your financial situation, and that, and not the prospective liftime of a cooker should be your determining factor. Nothing is forever.

Comment

• tenphases
            tenphases commented
            Editing a comment
            Man, an LSG sounds nice. Your right they dont need to last forever, and I bet if its well taken care of it will last a really ling time.

Space is exactly my problem, i am at the point where if I want a cooker I have to give one up. Im not thrilled with flavor profile the CC imparts. Even with a tube, cold meat, low smoke its still not enough for me but its convenient and I need that sometimes......I guess I like creosote lol. Im leaning towards selling the CC

tenphases I feel your pain...Seems to me the Camp Chef will always be tried and true. The MB looks so frickin cool I want to try it bad....Resistance to MCS is difficult. I think the MB will eventually wear off as a novelty and you will go back to your other cookers anyway...Hard to say... Huskee makes a compelling case. Man....I want to buy one too....I have to resist...lol

Comment

• tenphases
            tenphases commented
            Editing a comment
            I need a nieghbor thats into bbq so i dont have to buy all the cookers myself lol

If you want a FUN cooker that won't break the bank the Gravity Series is a good choice. It's got a few ticks and gremlins here and there but so does my Traeger Timberline and Komodo Kamado. If you want something to pass down from generation to generation consider another cooker.

Comment

Originally posted by allsid View Post
            If you want a FUN cooker that won't break the bank the Gravity Series is a good choice. It's got a few ticks and gremlins here and there but so does my Traeger Timberline and Komodo Kamado. If you want something to pass down from generation to generation consider another cooker.
            And this raises an interesting point... how long should we expect a $3-500 cooker to last? I'd say at least 5 years and it should be usable past that, but might need some things replaced. 8-10 would be awesome. But is it reasonable to expect anything in that range to last for 20+?

Comment

• tenphases
              tenphases commented
              Editing a comment
              5 years sounds righ I would be happy with that.

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              Same. 5 years for major stuff. Ideally closer to 8-10 for things like the box, electronics etc. I don't count things like replacing the grill or the latches as failures. That's wear and tear to me.

I would wait. Since it’s redundant, you can wait and see more folks get it and maybe get a late season deal.

Comment

Honestly, there are deals on the MB posted constantly at FB for anywhere from $300 to $425, depending on your area. You may get lucky!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here