Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learning the LSG Cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started another dry run at 1:45 this afternoon. Will let you know what's happening later. I will say it is going smoother.

Comment

• Greygoose
      Greygoose commented
      Editing a comment
      👍👍👍

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      Excited to hear about this one too!

Dry run #2. Fireboard V1 and Pit Bull fan on LSG large cabinet

Many years ago, I learned that adding more Orion to a situation is NOT always a good idea. This really surprised me because I thought I was the best possible solution to just about any situation. Man was I WRONG. Small doses (of me) and pay attention to the results. That being said I do not always remember that life lesson and charge ahead. I have come to the realization that the scariest words to leave my month are, "I’ve got this, step back".

Yesterday my memory was having a 60’s moment and I thought (bad) I will just make adjustments as I Think they’re needed. Adjusting dampers top and bottom often and by large increments. This controller/fan needs my input to function right? The results show how that worked out. 3½ hrs to reach 225°F (left the fan off for first 2 hours). Rose to 240°F several times dropping to 219°F then back up to 239°F again and again in about 1 hour cycles until the coals died down after 9 hrs. Ultimately, I had the ball valve set to ¼ open and the stack ½ open. The fan damper was wide open and would cycle from 0% to 75% during this time

Today, maybe just maybe the controller/fan and LSG instructions know better than me! Like yesterday I have water in the pan and the same amount of charcoal as yesterday. Started with ½ chimney today (¼ yesterday). Ball valve and stack wide open. Fan on from the start. At 175°F (½ hour) I closed the valve and stack to ½ open per instructions. Nervously waiting. The fan started to back down and at ¾ of an hour the cooker was at 225°F and it climbed to 236°F at an hour in (I closed the fan damper to ½ open per instructions) then the cooker leveled off and fell to 217°F at 1½ hrs and is climbing again now. So, I’m thinking (danger Will Robinson!), I received a response yesterday from jlazar about his Chubby2 and running with the stack open (so not quite so dangerous because this is advice from someone with experience). As the cooker is going from 238°F to 219°F I open up the stack resulting in a shorter fall and quicker rise back in temps. Fingers crossed and it only went up to 235°F and we’re at 4 hours. This seems to have shortened the cycle. It’s starting to wind down after 7+ hours (end of the charcoal). I figured out how to upload the graph below.

This 2nd run went much better. Came up to temp like with no fan and although certainly not a flat line it was pretty consistent. I’m betting that being charcoal fired and as large as it is it will never be as flat as a gas or Kamado cooker. Am I correct? Final thoughts: What’s wrong with this damn thing….…..it doesn’t need me to fix it! Now I feel useless and inadequate!..............okay I’m over it and can relax now. Thanks for wading through all of this.

Turkey breasts, both bone in and boneless tomorrow or Monday.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Test 2  7-4.PNG
Views:	295
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	875655

Comment

O,,,,,I’m starting to think that you need a lil more credit here,,,,
      I read ur update and Started to think that ur much like my nephew
      Tufts grad, IT engineer ,lives across the big pond ,works for a financial co.
      Had his own software testing company for awhile . Asked him what that actually is and does.
      He said " I do everything that you shouldn’t do to see if the program does what it’s supposed to do !!!!"
      I think you should think about being a consultant !

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I guess I missed my calling.

I think you are getting a good handle on how your smoker reacts. They are all different. I would have a few recommendations.

1. Keep a log for every cook. Both manual and fan driven.
      2. Learn how much charcoal you need for a given amount of time and how much you need lit to start for a given temp. General rule is: Less lit to start is better. Always start with that amount of charcoal and lit amount. Being in CA, outside temps should not have a big impact on you.
      3. Learn how long it takes your smoker to get up to a specific temp. Find the sweetpoint for your vent/stack settings and always start with that.
      4. Trust the Fireboard and give it control. It will give you good blue smoke.
      5. Recognize that the temp will drop when you open the door and add cold meat. Expect up to a 25 degree drop in temp when adding cold meat (based on amount and type of meat added). If you start at 225, it may drop to 190 and you will (in theory) get more smoke as it returns to 225. If you take it to 240 to start, you should level back at 225 very quickly.
      6. Temp will drop every time you open door. Do things with door open quickly, you are adding oxygen. Cooker may overshoot a little bit but will settle down.
      7. Learn how to bring your temps back down. My biggest danger is letting the water pan run dry. Huge temp spike.
      8. You are the cook and still in control of things. You can up the Fireboard/fan speed if you decide you want the cook to move faster. Likewise you can lower the speed. For example, do you want to try to help push it through a stall or do you have plenty of time and can wait.
      9. Don't get fixated on the Fireboard graph and shoot for a perfect flat line. Expect and accept fluctuations. It is like a YS640. You are looking for an average temp over a certain amount of time. The Fireboard will recognize changes and react quicker than what you could do manually -- but you could still do it manually if you felt like it. Learn and understand what you did to cause fluctuation with and without a fan.
      10. Have fun. Success is if you are happy with the flavor, moisture and tenderness of your cook.

In looking back at these recommendations, I find they applied when I used a WSM or a YS640. Still apply for the Chubby G2 and Kettle/SnS.

PS: Would love trying to cook on your LSG. It is a beauty.
      Last edited by jlazar; July 5, 2020, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you some good stuff here

I don’t have a fire board or a fan, however I’ve seen a lot of the graphs on this site and yours doesn’t look right. Your fan looks like it’s either off or full speed. Maybe some of our members with a fire board drive will chime in. You may need to tweak some settings or maybe it’s just due to the fact you’re using it on a large insulated cabinet.

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        I was wondering the same thing. Anyone? Beuller?

I just talked to Chris at Lone Star Grillz regarding the 15°F to 20°F variance I'm getting using the Fireboard and fan. He said I could try choking down the valve and stack a little more. So it is set a little more closed than when operated manually. He said he has seen a plus or minus 1°F variance. I guess it's more practice for me. Damn, still no magic Tomorrow will try again.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm just now reading this Orion and was going to suggest calling Chris, which you seem to have done. He sells the Fireboard and Pit Viper combo so he should know.

U will have it mastered shortly,I have a feeling

Comment

I think Troutman and Polarbear777 have fireboards with fans. Maybe one of them has some pointers after looking at you graph that you posted.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I have experience with kettles and WSMs, much smaller vessels. That cabinet has a large volume and sounds like it's a trick to getting it to settle out evenly. He'll get it with time and patience.

• Red Man
          Red Man commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman Did you notice his fan speed was pretty much either 100% or 0%? I have no experience with a fire board or a fan, so just thought I’d tag someone who has one. I agree that the size of the cooker could play a roll, it just seems like the fireboard should try to modulate the fan. Maybe the OP should contact fireboard.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here