Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learning the LSG Cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning the LSG Cabinet

I have a Fireboard controller and fan but I’m intending to learn to control this thing this manually first. So, in my vast wisdom I thought, which is never a good thing, I got this. This is charcoal not a stick burner so just build the fire. Whats the big deal? Oiled everything up then I set up the dividers way wider than the pictures show. (pictures have it divided into quarters. I had it just shy of ½) Load about 20# of KB briquettes to the top of the dividers, per instructions, then light a full chimney of coals. Once they’re all glowing dump them in, open the ball valve and top vent wide and close the doors easy peasey right. Shooting for 250°F to 275°F for 3 to 6 hours to season it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0494.JPG
Views:	588
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	845114
    Everything going well, up to 150°F in 15 minutes. At 200°F in 45 minutes so it’s time to close the top vent and ball valve to½. At about 1 hour it hits 250°F so I close the valve to about â…› open, per instructions. Still climbing, okay. 275°F 15 minutes later, okay……......wait it’s still climbing, slower but still climbing. Damn 300°F, now what? Shut ball valve 99% and top vent to just a crack open and………..still climbing 325°F! Damn it all to heck.

I DON’T got this! Close valve, open door to lower temp and it goes right back up when I shut the door. Pour some water in the pan to cool it down, didn’t help. And so it went for the next 4 hours. Is THIS what you all mean when you say "then I spent the rest of the time chasing temperature"? I think I used way too much fuel. About 8 hours in, valve and top still shut, it finally cooled down to 250°F! Tomorrow, smaller fire and try again he says embarrassed as all get out.

Okay here goes the 2nd try, vast wisdom acknowledged as definitely questionable at best and possibly not useful at all. Dividers set like pictures. Much less charcoal this time, ½ chimney lit. Valve and top vent as before. It’s on, as before 150°F in 15 minutes, 200°F in 45 minutes. I close the top vent about ½ way and ball valve so it’s ¼ open. Playing it more cautious this time. Slowly climbing then it seems to have stalled at 230°F. Opened top full and temp climbed to 240°F, it’s been 1½ hours. Opened ball valve to ½. At 2¼ hours temp is 285°F closed valve to â…› and top to ½ and it seems to have settled at 280°F which I can live with and my face is not as red as yesterday.

Name:	IMG_0498.JPG
Views:	484
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	845115
    I have come a lot closer this time. So, my bigger is always better axiom has proven not to be true this time. Smoking on the YS640 is a no brainer. Grilling and searing steaks and chicken or cooking some hot dogs and hamburgers requires some control abilities. But I’m looking at learning a whole new level here. I am developing a new RESPECT for you offset guys. I might do one more dry run. I have a 10# butt thawing in the refrigerator.

Insulated?????

Comment

Woo hoo! Yeah, welcome to the world of "do it yourself there's no control board to do it for you"! You'll get it in no time, sounds liek you've already had some success by attempt #2. And you'll be here to help others who will be in your shoes in the future.

Comment

Doing good. Just learning your cooker. You’ll have this in no time and soon you will be able to hit and keep your temps without even having to think about it. If by chance you decide the heck with all this, my shipping address is ....🙂

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Donw I'll file that away!

Ohhhh man,,,I luv this
      new cooker and a new adventure
      just lookin at the visuals I would say you lit too many coals on the first try and on the second one you narrowed the dividers
      and you had more control
      Ur gettin the hang of it alraedy 👍👍👍👍

Comment

I want one

Comment

Lookin Good!
          Sure it's gonna take some Learnin Curve, but it sounds to me that in Test #2, yer already flattenin it.
          Fine Job, Brother!
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 12, 2020, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Ya at 5 hours it's at 260 and holding steady. I hope this an indication I'm headed in the right direction. This is without water in the pan,

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              First run, did ya use boilin/ or hot water in yer pan? Kinda curious to how ya approached dat...cold, hot, both have their uselfullness, an I am not familiar with yer cooker...

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              Mr. Bones I did not use any water either time. I tried pour a little in to cool it down at it's highest temp yesterday. there is an opening on top to add water without opening the door. I don't know anything about hot or cold. LSG says you can use water or not. I'm thinking if I want to do low (225) I will need to.

• Greygoose
              Greygoose commented
              Editing a comment
              Ofelles,check out Fat E’s BBq on YouTube.
              Eric Cantu,over in San Antonio
              He just purchased the same LSG cabinet and did a video of unboxing and the first burn in/ seasoning
              Young guy and entertaining
              I might give you some good info

Yowzer! Enjoy yourself!

Comment

Man it sounds like your real close. A couple more adding the water pan maybe also will get you there. Enjoy

Comment

Reckon it does sound like ya most likely had too much fuel lit at once, first time...it happens to us all, eventually...btdt.

Quick check of yer local wx also shows 25 mph winds, an that is a factour that has to be taken into consideration, both in vent openings, an directional orientation of yer cooker.

Re: Test # 3????

I'd jus throw that 10# Pork Butt on; nuthin ya done so far is gonna hurt it, none.

Sendin out my best wishes; if there's any kinda way I can be of assistance, lemme know...
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 12, 2020, 07:13 PM.

Comment

You're gonna have a blast once you get it figured out.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No Doubt!
                    Actually, sounded like he had himself a purty good blast, first run lol!

Really fun to follow your progress. Almost like I am there cooking with you! All part of the adventure. Keep it coming!

Comment

Haaaa. ofelles I went though the same thing when I got my offset. The first run started out great than after about an hour and a half the temps just started to skyrocket. Shut things down just like you did. Than the bellowing white smoke came.
                    Damn did I make a mistake buying this thing? Is what I thought. But a couple more dry runs later and I started understanding the pit.
                    Still took a while to really get to know it.
                    But once you get it, and you will, it’s gonna be a dream come true.
                    Best of luck. And can’t wait to see some great food come off that beauty.

Comment

• ofelles
                      ofelles commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks great to know I'm not alone. But it feels more comfortable to be the one saying ya I remember when.
                      A good friend of mine says "the only thing you start out at the top of is digging a hole"

I have a Chubby G2. I always use water in the pan. Only use 12-15 lit briquettes poured in on corner to start. Easier to open valves and raise temp than try to get it back down. You will have it in a couple of cooks. Also use a Fireboard and Viper fan. Light the same way whether manual or FireBoard and fan.

Name:	fetch.jpeg
Views:	456
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	845270

Last edited by jlazar; May 12, 2020, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• bep35
                      bep35 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Interesting charcoal logs there. What are those?

• ofelles
                      ofelles commented
                      Editing a comment
                      jlazar May be you can tell him. I have not used them.

• jlazar
                      jlazar commented
                      Editing a comment
                      B&B Char Logs lit by about 12 B&B Briquettes. Good for a low and slow cook. Will run 225-230 for 5-6 hours and then creep up to around 250 as the lit coals snake across the whole pan. Have not tried to set up a divider for it to snake around since most cooks are done in 7-8 hours. The LSG cabinet that ofelles has comes with a divider to give a true snake effect. May try it with some fire bricks in the future. Highly recommend all the B&B products.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here