Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masterbuilt Gravity 560 Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what FB group are you guys talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by reed View Post
      what FB group are you guys talking about?
      A place for fans of the Masterbuilt Gravity Series to share tips, tricks, experiences, and ask questions about these grills/smokers.

Comment

I am really on the fence between the 560 and the 1050. I generally cook for 6-8 people, but cook for 20-30 once or twice per year. I do have an OK Joe offset combo, so I guess that makes up for most of the spacial difference if I just got the 560...so two questions:

1) Have you experienced any of the issues some people have been reporting (i.e. significant flare-ups, warping in the hopper chute, etc.)

2) After using the 560 for a while, do you feel like you should have gone with the 1050 or are you happy with the size/quality of the 560? I'm going on the assumption you normally cook for a similar umber of people as myself.

Comment

• Razor
          Razor commented
          Editing a comment
          I found a video on YouTube where a guy reviewed both. Looks like there are some minor design changes on the 1050 to address issues not originally discovered on the 560 until it was too late in to production. Nothing major, but changes none the less.

Originally posted by BRBNBBQ View Post
        I am really on the fence between the 560 and the 1050. I generally cook for 6-8 people, but cook for 20-30 once or twice per year. I do have an OK Joe offset combo, so I guess that makes up for most of the spacial difference if I just got the 560...so two questions:

1) Have you experienced any of the issues some people have been reporting (i.e. significant flare-ups, warping in the hopper chute, etc.)

2) After using the 560 for a while, do you feel like you should have gone with the 1050 or are you happy with the size/quality of the 560? I'm going on the assumption you normally cook for a similar umber of people as myself.

1) No issues so far, but like I said, I am spending 15 minutes or so cleaning after every cook.

2) I mainly cook for my wife and I, so the 560 is definately big enough. I feel like this would be big enough for your 6-8 people parties (you can fit a whole packet brisket + ribs), but the 20-30 efforts would be challenging. If you are keeping the offset, then that would of course make it easier. Another option might be to buy the 560 + Joe's Grill Grates, so you immediately have three full rows to cook meat on which would add capacity. I've found this helpful ( https://grillagrills.com/pellet-gril...ze-comparison/ ) with sizes.

Comment

How many racks of ribs will fit into the 560?

Comment

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, inquiring minds need to know.

Originally posted by jaseverson View Post
          How many racks of ribs will fit into the 560?
          4 if you use the upper racks together. But beware, the upper racks' temps are actually lower than the main grate in my tests.

Comment

16 pound brisket split into point and flat to make burnt ends with Dr Pepper based sauce. About 10 hours at 240 with Killer Hogs BBQ rub and rested for about 2 hours.
            Attached Files

Comment

I’d eat that

Comment

To add more to my 560 "blog", I would note that Royal Oak lump doesn't do very well here. The brisket above took 10 hours and ate two hoppers full of Royal Oak lump. The general consensus seems to be B&B briquettes or charlogs work best, and I have 90 pounds of charlogs on the way!

Comment

• Polarbear777
                  Polarbear777 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just completed a 225F test with char logs. Takes a couple of fatwoods and some patience to get them started. Ran 12 hours at 225F one full hopper, untouched. (This is on the 1050, I bet it goes longer on the 560)

Thanks for the review. Giving some serious consideration about getting one.

Comment

Great write up here and an interesting cooker for sure.

Comment

Found SS grill grates that fit the 560:

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Out of stock until June 12.

~6 month ownership update. The grill is stock with only tin foil used under the hopper lid and an extra WiFi antenna.

--Firebox still looks good with little evidence of burn through or damage, so perhaps I am a lucky one.

--Still performs outstandingly well with no major issues to report. Food tastes excellent. I've been spraying it with oil after each cook, so it is well seasoned now (all black on inside) so that feels reasonable good from a protection standpoint.

--The charlogs work very well, but they do increase the start-up time to temp to around 25-30 minutes or so (15 minutes to light + 10-15 to get to temp), whereas lump was lit and ready for meat within 15 minutes. I am going to stick with lump going forward. Admittedly, I've been doing a lot of burgers, hot dogs, and shorter cooks recently, but I like the quick start-up times for lump here.

--Adding a $7 WiFi antenna has made the WiFi always connected even at the end of the driveway. I've noticed several updates to the app, and I've figured out how to control the smoker via the app (always leave the lid closed), so it actually works quite well.

--Temperature control seems reasonably solid still with no issues there.

--The battery pack actually works well, but the connector doesn't fit very well to the grill, so it keeps falling out. I've switched back to the old-school cord which works fine for operating the grill.

--Despite moving the smoker to the flattest surface available (sidewalk on driveway), it does seem to leak grease down the legs and other points. The open/close sensor on the grill lid needs to be wiped down each cook, or it sometimes generates an open error.

--The Rutland fire starter squares work perfectly to get this smoker going, as they fit into the slot very well.

--Biggest negative is the clean-up which takes about 15 minutes (dump ashes, scrape down grates, spray outside with wax finish, clean out grease trays and misc. grease spots) per cook. This is 15 minutes more per cook than I spent with the PBC/Weber.

--The weather is getting cooler so we will see how this thing does when I do the traditional winter smoking!

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I recommend simply bypassing the lid switch

Thanks for the update.

--I do debate over when to replace the cast iron grates, as they are hard to keep clean compared to the Weber grates/PBC, but I'll revisit in another six months.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      100% with you there. I intend to replace with nice 304 stainless rod grates. I feel MB should ditch the CI grates altogether, but *most* backyard pitmaster think CI is better for searing so it's surely a marketing to the masses thing.

Excellent review and a good justified update.

I've had my 560 since May. Had several start up issues with the app and WiFi. Pulled my hair out for a while. Once I got connected for the first time, the app has been flawless. The grill has been phenomenal. Most fun I've ever had with a piece of BBQ equipment. The food produced is the best I've experienced in over a decade of smoking and grilling.

I'm a Weber guy so the Harbor Freight quality was a concern from the get go. Decided to buy it anyway. Turned out to be a good decision. I've not had any significant issues but admittely have replaced several items just to beef it up. No MB failures however.

Added a battery power source for convenience, strongly recommended. Chased down a grease drip, easy fix. Added some gasket material to improve sealing around the hopper top and firebox. Replaced some pieces with aftermarket stainless (wasn't required but feels good).

I cook several times a week. Long and short cooks. Clean things every 10-14 days. No grease fires but I expect there will be... I mean it is a grill.

Bottomline... If you are just a tad bit handy, this thing is Platium all the way.
                    Last edited by Sudz; September 15, 2020, 09:33 AM.

Comment

• STEbbq
                      STEbbq commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the comments! Definitely agree!

Can you talk a bit more about the gaskets and chasing down the grease drip? I mentioned grease drips, so this would be good to fix, but not sure how to do either.

I don't notice much in the way of smoke out of the hopper lid, so probably don't need to worry about the gasket too much.

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I really debated and initially did give it a Platinum. But, requiring the purchaser to be handy isn't platinum material. I love mine too though.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here