Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masterbuilt Gravity 560 Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice review,
    Can the thing be turned off to save fuel?

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      You can shut the 'slides', which are essentially the vents, and yes I am able to stifle it and save the coals for next time.

thank you
    Can it be shut down and save fuel?

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve been able to do that but I typically don’t bother because after a long cook, I crank it up to ~500 or higher and let it "self clean" (mostly).

These are made for the smoke fire which is the same depth. For the 1050 I had to get three sections (link for the ex6) and cut off one to fit the width.

They are the burliest SS grates I’ve ever seen

the 1050 is pretty much the only thing I’m using lately. Just too easy...

lots of room for a couple trays of cherry tomatoes to smoke or multiple briskets, rib racks, chickens.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reposting this. I forgot to bookmark it the first time, but saved now!

You can shut the 'slides', which are essentially the vents, and yes I am able to stifle it and save the coals for next time.
    Exactly. Smoker is cool within 10 minutes.
    Last edited by STEbbq; September 15, 2020, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Walmart appears the offer a third model of the Masterbult Gravity series—the Masterbuilt Gravity 800 – that adds an easily-insertable, taller manifold and smooth flattop griddle to the 560. It looks like a great idea! Does anyone know if any aftermarket vendors are offering manifold/griddle mods or add-ons for the 560 or 1050? (LSS is not.)

Comment

I am not aware of other manifold mods (other than say..a drip pan), but something like this should work as a griddle in the 560.

Comment

New items i am going to put on my 560.
          i have had no fire box issue todate..but cant help myself at times..just worry it might happen..and no switch issues..i also have 3 at my house in case..i to added foil to top of fire box lid...and i have it on drip tray to aid in cleaning...down side i use a lot of foil...the mod to stop grease from driping on legs has my curiosity up..would like to know about that..i cook on the MB 560 a lot..but still go with PK orginal for sreaks...my Weber 4 burner gas fir sides/ burgers/etc...
          I am a bit over clean type of person i guess..cant stand a messey grill...
          the 560 is in my opinion a great pit..and if u go to youre local Walmart u may well find it outside in garden center on clearance..here at 6 stores had 1 at 370...just passing it on..i bought 2 fir my kids..christmas coming ..
          Attached Files

Comment

I cleaned my MB 560 with LA FANSTICK CLEANER..and installed new grease diffuser and drip pan holder..also installed ss fire box insert..failed to take a picture of it..i did find metal fatique both in firebox and rust on charcoal tower i guess that what it can be called..painted that...i still am a fan of this pit..cooks excellent..
            Attached Files

Comment

I've cooked a few times now in fairly cold weather (30s) with no issues. I did the turkey I posted elsewhere, which turned out great. I am sure charcoal consumption went up a bit but not enough for it to be extreme or noticeable. We will see how it does in our traditional January cook in freezing Chicago temps, but I am not anticipating any issues at this point. I am gearing up for a pastrami/brisket cook at the end of the December (if it's cold enough, I will count it towards our January Chicago cook).

I did buy the Rescue Grill Brush to help with clean-up particularly on the grill grates so we will see how that goes. I will post a review of it once I have had a chance to try it out.

After looking at Weber's wet smoke kit ( https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessor...ries/7004.html ), it'd be nice if I can find something reasonable that would replicate this on the MB560. I see that the mod site (https://lss-mods.square.site/ ) offers a manifold cover plus brackets that would do the trick, but I'm not ready to drop $100 bucks on that just yet.

Then again, if the Rescue Grill Brush performs as expected, I probably don't need to invest any more in cleaning.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Let me know how you like that brush on those stubborn CI grates.

I am going to post future updates on the MB channel thread.

I wanted to link this older thread here for new folks. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/charcoal-cabinet-smokers-and-gravity-feed-smokers/misc-ab/826333-masterbuilt-gravity-560-review
              Last edited by STEbbq; July 6, 2021, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here