Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chubby as a grill.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chubby as a grill.

Has anyone used their Backwoods Chubby as a grill? Most of the ads for it say it can be made into a grill by removing the water pan. Has anyone tried it?

I don’t have one but a I watched a video that seriously peeled my interest. That price point is a real selling tool.

Comment

Interesting. Most of the cabinets have a pretty low do not exceed temp so I'm not sure I would attempt that. I'm certainly no expert. Planning to get a cabinet though. Ask Backwoods?

Comment

Alright, I tried it on my own without help with a spatchcocked whole chicken. Turned out quite good. Here’s what I did:
        1.) Spatchcock a whole chicken.
        2.) Poke holes all over the skin, salt the skin with kosher salt, and dry-brine overnight.
        3.) Place chicken in a freezer bag, add marinade (see mine below), massage and refrigerate overnight. Flip bag periodically.
        4.) Set up Chubby without water pan, and stabilize temp at 350 degrees F.
        5.) Remove chicken from marinade and discard remaining marinade.
        6.) Place chicken on middle rack breast side up.
        7.) Cook until chicken reaches 160 degrees F internal temperature.
        8.) Flip chicken skin-side down and remove the deflector plate so that the coals are exposed.
        9.) Continue cooking chicken to 165 degrees F internal temperature.

Marinade:
        • 1/2 onion
        • 1 Large garlic clove
        • 1/4 Cup olive oil
        • 1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
        • 1/2 tsp cumin
        • 1 tsp salt
        • 1/2 tsp black pepper
        • 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
        • 1 tsp paprika
        • 1 Tbsp lime juice
        • Cilantro leaf
        Attached Files

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          looks good!

I have a G2 and use it strictly for smoking. If you removed the water pan and the heat deflector, then you would have a setup similar to a grill and could even do an indirect setup due to the length of the racks. But the Chubby would have to be elevated to make this a comfortable working height. I just use the Kettle/SnS for small/short smokes and things like the smoked brisket chili I made yesterday.

Click image for larger version  Name:	smoked brisket chili.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.18 MB ID:	796106

G2 - Brisket, butts, ham, turkey, prime rib, chicken, sausage, fatties, meatloaf. Whenever I am doing at least 2-3 racks of meat at a time.

Kettle/SnS - for grilling and smoking/charring vegetables. Steak, hamburgers, sausage, prime rib, turkey, chicken. Whenever I am doing something that is definitely grilling, or a short smoke and quantities that would fit on a 22".

Going back to a different post. I used B&B briquettes with the Fireboard/Pit Viper/Sns yesterday. Came up to temp a little slower than KBB but with no white smoke. Held temp at 350 for 1 hour. By held temp, I mean it stayed within 1 degree of 350 the whole time. Tried a test and lowered the set point to 330. Had no problem with the temp going down and staying rock solid at that temp. I am definitely switching to B&B.
        Last edited by jlazar; January 26, 2020, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here