Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 Digital Grill and Smoker or Grilla Grills Chimp...or both?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 Digital Grill and Smoker or Grilla Grills Chimp...or both?

Does anyone have a review, or insider knowledge, of the new Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560 Digital Grill and Smoker? I’m new to the pellet world and am considering the Grilla Grills Chimp because it’s also portable. But, then I saw the new Masterbuilt creation, which fits my charcoal comfort. Can anyone tell me about the Chimp and which is better or should I just buy both and be done, or should I even wait for Weber’s SmokeFire? Although I can buy both the Chimp and the Masterbuilt for the price of the Weber...HELP!!! 🤪

We just received the new Masterbuilt Gravity and will begin tests. Stay tuned. Grilla pellet smokers are a great choice, and we're excited to test the new Weber SmokerFire when production models roll out in January. All three are very different in many ways including price. SmokeFire and Masterbuilt GF promise to be true all-in-one smoker/grills capable of low and slow smoking and high temperature grilling.

Comment

• Jus_Tee
      Jus_Tee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Max! Even though I’ve been successfully grilling, and smoking, (in my opinion...lol) I’m starting anew by reading "Meathead’s" first book. I’m trying to do it right now, not just what’s been working 😀

The Masterbuilt intrigues me. If it works as advertised I think it is great ingenuity w/o costing a fortune... let's see...

Comment

Hi Max,
      I am looking to purchase a new smoker/grill this spring. I'm interested in the Weber Smokefire and possibly the Masterbuilt 560. Have you started your review process on those yet? Any updated opinions?

Comment

• Max Good
        Max Good commented
        Editing a comment
        We just began testing the Masterbuilt. Still waiting for the SmokeFire.

• Jus_Tee
        Jus_Tee commented
        Editing a comment
        Max, when do you think the review of the Masterbuilt Gravity 560 will be posted?

• Max Good
        Max Good commented
        Editing a comment
        Jus_Tee Don't have a date for posting yet. Please be patient.

Kosmo’s Q just did a video of the Masterbuilt cooker, which is intriguing to say the least. For $499, it seems like convenience of a pellet cooker with benefits of charcoal.

Comment

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        It would be nice to see Kosmo do a low & slow cook on it....like maybe brisket, ribs, etc.

This cooker really looks intriguing to me. I was already intrigued but the Kosmos video makes it look even more interesting. And there is a rumor that Masterbuilt is going to produce a larger version of it. I would want it larger for sure if this was going to be my primary smoker.

Comment

• au4stree
        au4stree commented
        Editing a comment
        0-700F in 13 minutes is pretty dang impressive. I'd like to see a low/slow cook...maybe Kosmo will do one soon.

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        au4stree Or anyone else for that matter. A couple of other videos I have seen on YouTube focus on the 700F and cremating steaks.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Craigar Yeah, I've yet to find a review from someone who did a butt or brisket. What I would like to know is how many butts can I pile on that, not how many hamburgers or steaks. My next smoker needs to handle 6 to 8 butts before I pull the trigger.

Would be great to see a comparison of the build quality between this and the more typical pellet smoker. By that I mean steel thickness, steel gauge, insulation properties, grate comparison etc.
      Last edited by STEbbq; March 13, 2020, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Really looking forward to seeing Max Goods review the Masterbuilt Gravity Series. Not in a hurry since I'm very happy with my WSM but the ability to set your temp and not worry about adjusting dampers in pellet style smokers is nice, so I've been seriously thinking about upgrading to a pellet. Limited reviews on Amazon have been positive.

Comment

Fun thread! What do you know, I went to my favorite bbq store today (to replenish my rubs which they sell), to buy some brisket, ribs et.c. They just received it, and have started testing it. I took two photos. To me it sounds VERY intriguing. You get all the convenience of a pellet pooper, but the true charcoal flavor. They added some hickory chunks for the first run, and loved the flavor. And the price!! If this works, it sure will beat most pellet grills out there (I'm looking at you Traeger).

I'm gonna keep a close eye on this one for sure. And my friend who runs the store can confirm the fast heat-up time. They did the same test and hit the same temp in 13 minutes.

They will commence a series of charcoal tests on it now, to see how long it lasts with different fuels. SmokeFire, you're smoked :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1960.JPG
Views:	4546
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	820697

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7245.JPG
Views:	4394
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	820696

I guess my only concern is that the cooking chamber isn't that big. Yes, there's a two shelves/grates, but still.

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            I think you should help them test it. :-)

Stumps, Mixon G33 and others make true gravity fed smokers with large cabinet capacity if that's what you're looking for. My only concern about the product is that most of them don't address grease to my satisfaction. Otherwise it's the way to go. Of course you're talking 3 to 4 times the cost.

Comment

We hope to have an AmazingRibs.com review of the Masterbuilt Gravity Series in the next couple weeks, stay tuned! Thorough testing has been underway for a while now and we'll be posting a preliminary snippet review very soon to let you know our general thoughts thus far. I'll let you know when it gets posted. We're excited to get the full review finished and share it as soon as we can.

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm betting it makes a beautiful pork butt

I got so excited about this new cooker I talked to the shop owner. I get to go over next week and play with it for a full day. Gonna do a few tests, as well as smoke ribs and steak. Should be able to have a video for y’all on Friday next week. Stay tuned!

Comment

Here's our very brief preliminary review snippet: https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...l-grill-smoker

This isn't the full review, just early thoughts after some thorough testing. I suspect another couple weeks. We'll announce the full review here in our forum in the Sneak Peeks channel, as well as in Smoke Signals, and of course HOT From The Pit toward the end of next month.

Comment

• Alphonse
                Alphonse commented
                Editing a comment
                Huskee, for us curious types, please share with us what the protocol is for a test. For context of my question, why does it take two weeks?

Do you have a minimum number of runs? Do you have a slate of different charcoal and lump that you use? Is there a internal peer review that you use?

Or is it timed with the Smoke Signals and/or other media?

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Alphonse See GolfGeezer's link below. I've been testing it for probably two or three weeks now. We would do our readers a disservice if we cooked on it only two or three times and said we love it or hate it. We put it through some pretty thorough tests, give it some time, take notes, then comes the part of assembling all of our data and stats and notes into readable, somewhat professional-looking text. then the it passes back & forth with our editor a few times. It's quite a process.

• Alphonse
                Alphonse commented
                Editing a comment
                Huskee, thanks for your response and explanation.

I am looking forward to see what you come up with on this one. It is an interesting implementation of a gravity feed approach and at an attractive price.

I am more than interested in this bad boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphonse View Post
                Huskee, for us curious types, please share with us what the protocol is for a test. For context of my question, why does it take two weeks?

Do you have a minimum number of runs? Do you have a slate of different charcoal and lump that you use? Is there a internal peer review that you use?

Or is it timed with the Smoke Signals and/or other media?
                FYI: here is a link to AR's testing methodology - https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...ews-and-medals

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here