Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backwoods latch issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backwoods latch issue

Just picked up a used chubby gen 1. I can’t get the doors to slam. I’m including some pics. Can y’all tell me if they are in the correct position? Are the supposed to catch on the little wheels or go farther and catch on the flat portion?

Click image for larger version

Name:	FDC3B70A-A37C-476D-A0BB-CB830061A54A.jpeg
Views:	435
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	776426Click image for larger version

Name:	5B4B04AC-623C-4AD6-830B-79F33E350344.jpeg
Views:	384
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	776427Click image for larger version

Name:	60730E80-73E5-4A45-9D66-0D38893E94DB.jpeg
Views:	355
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	776428

I haven't had any experience with that latch, but if the portion on the door has shifted, it may be catching on part of the frame portion. Make sure the piece that contacts the wheel is not touching anything but the wheel.

Comment

There should be an adustment screw on the receiver Take it off and check You can always shim it out till it latches corecctly

Comment

There is an adjustment screw. Just loosen with a phillips-head screwdriver and move in/out a little as necessary. Mine needs adjustment about once a year.

Comment

Originally posted by jlazar View Post
          There is an adjustment screw. Just loosen with a phillips-head screwdriver and move in/out a little as necessary. Mine needs adjustment about once a year.
          But should it catch on the wheel or go past the wheel and catch on the flat plate?

Comment

• Uncajohn
            Uncajohn commented
            Editing a comment
            It should latch on the flat plate.

• jlazar
            jlazar commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree. I adjust mine during a cook so I can see smoke escaping and that helps determine if it is tight enough for you. With probe wires coming out the door, I not worry about a little wisp of smoke escaping. I just shoot for a pretty good seal. The condition/age of your gasket on the door comes into play also. If your look old or hard, or have grease dripped all over them, you may want to consider replacing them. I think Backwoods has a video on how to do this.

I had the same issue when I first fired mine up (cause naturally I read the directions after I messed with it for awhile). They do warn you about that in the startup guide. They will be a little stiff for your first few cooks. They suggest you put the palm of your hand on it and slam it hard to make sure it closes fully. It is supposed to go behind the plate after the wheel cause if not you’ll see smoke billowing out of the door after a few minutes

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here