Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoker Design Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoker Design Idea

Imagine this:

Insulated vertical cabinet. Cook box is 24x24x36 with 3 24x24 racks. Fire box is 24x24x12. Weight is 150 lbs empty. Two handles on each side. Casters in the bottom but above them mounted to the bottom is an insert for a hitch receiver. Completely portable small insulated vertical direct smoker.

1. Are the ratios correct firebox to cookbox?

2. Is it too heavy for a hitch receiver?

3. Any ideas on cost to build?

Hi there. Not enough information to give an accurate answer. What material? What design? Make a drawing and post it with as much info as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahumadora View Post
      Hi there. Not enough information to give an accurate answer. What material? What design? Make a drawing and post it with as much info as you can.
      Here is some more info. I want a double-walled insulated vertical direct smoker. â…›" steel for the walls. 2" of insulation. I am including some rough, and I mean rough (I am not a graphic designer) sketches of what I want to do.

The front of the pit would be something like this. Notice the 2" channel under the box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 1.58.56 PM.png
Views:	250
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	770466

The inside would have room for a fire box, water pan, and three grates.

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 1.59.09 PM.png
Views:	242
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	770465

The bottom would have 5" casters and a support platform of 2" channel welded? bolted? attached to slide into a hitch receiver on your vehicle.

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 1.58.39 PM.png
Views:	262
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	770464

I realize this is all very rough, but I wondered if we have any engineers, CAD experts who could estimate weight and the pit's ability to ride suspended from a 2" hitch.

Comment

• SavageSmoke
        SavageSmoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Ahumadora I drive a 2011 Yukon XL. I am thinking more in the <400 pound range for the pit. I can get a peewee from lonestargrillz and mount it. The Peewee is only 350 pounds.

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        ASk Lonestar if they can weld a hitch receiver directly on it. You still need some way of lifting it on and off.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Ahumadora the tongue weight thing is exactly what I was thinking. Also realize you won't be able to access the rear hatch. As far as lifting it, not a problem in Texas, we all have guns....lolol

Your drawing look pretty good to me. My only commit is, a friend of mine bought one similar, it had space's for more rack's in between the one's you have drawn. Since he purchased it. He when't back and bought extra grates' to go in for ribs.

Edit: had more thought's, How are you going to pick that beast up and stick it in a receiver? Then get it back off? And Why ? Buy trailer. Save your back.
      Last edited by randy56; November 18, 2019, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Check with Humphrey’s in Maine they might be able to build you something.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here