Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maiden Voyage on my Myron Mixon G-33 gravity smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wildrub
    replied
    Hi Everyone
    It's been a while since my last post. Would like to thank all who replied. I have finally figured out my G33 and loving it. Have done a few small catering events with very good results. I am taking on a larger event in
    September and there is supposed to be around 100 guests. I'm having a little trouble figuring out the amount of Tri-tip, Back ribs and pulled pork to cook. Does anyone have a food calculator? Any help would be much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Wildrub
    commented on 's reply
    Sorry I took so long getting back, I've been really busy. As I said in the original post I am a stick burner guy and I think you get more smoky with it than a charcoal smoker and I could always taste the smoke flavor of my finished product without a shower. I prep the same I was using oak as that is what I have always cooked with and I have even tried hickory and mesquite and still very little to no smoke flavor. I've tried with the flu wide open to 3/4 closed and does not seem to make a differ.

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    My understanding is that military grade is typically the bare minimum needed for an activity at the lowest possible cost and it’s not really a sign of high quality.

• Murdy
    replied
    Welcome to the Pit!

Can't really help.

So I googled the MM G 3 and the first listed feature was "Military grade insulation" -- I suppose this is supposed to be a good thing, but as far as I can recall, I was cold as $%&@ every time we went to the field in the winter.

Leave a comment:

• Polarbear777
    replied
    Best feature of the mixon design is the conical (wider at the bottom) charcoal chute. Guarantees the charcoal cannot bridge and get stuck. A problem I’ve had on both my gravity rigs occasionally.

Leave a comment:

• Donw
    replied
    First, welcome! Only thing that comes to mind not being familiar with that particular cooker is making sure the meat is cold when placed in the cooker. I also follow Rick’s advice and take a shower and change clothes after a day of smoking before judging the smoke flavor of my meat.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    Originally posted by Wildrub View Post
    Hi everyone. I’m a new member to the club. I’ve been cooking Q for over 20 yrs. Mostly on a Lang stick burner. I just purchased a MM G 33 w/ultra Q. For some reason I cannot get any smoke flavor. I’ve been using hickory mini logs and I see and smell the smoke but it just does not seem to transfer to the meat. Does anyone have suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.
    I can't help on the MM issue, but WELCOME!

A couple of generic questions... do others perceive smoke but you don't? I've had times where the meat doesn't seem smoky to me because it's all up in my clothes etc. Also... all meat? Some kinds of meat? Prep is the same as the Lang? Same wood etc?

Leave a comment:

• Wildrub
    replied
    Hi everyone. I’m a new member to the club. I’ve been cooking Q for over 20 yrs. Mostly on a Lang stick burner. I just purchased a MM G 33 w/ultra Q. For some reason I cannot get any smoke flavor. I’ve been using hickory mini logs and I see and smell the smoke but it just does not seem to transfer to the meat. Does anyone have suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Josh Nila
    replied
    Fight on! ✌️

Leave a comment:

• Westernbbq
    replied
    I also have 3 big green eggs...xl L and minimax. Plus an otto wilde overfire broiler and two roccboxes

i use all of these items regularly....

Leave a comment:

• Westernbbq
    replied
    Thanks guys, i have some picts of my mm g 33 in action...stored on my cloud so lets see if the analog guy stuck in a digital world can figure it out...

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    Welcome! Pic are easy to post so please do!

• bbqLuv
    replied
    Looking good in the BBQHood

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    commented on 's reply
    Did you just plug in your review?
    I watched it to follow through.
    Happy grilling to you

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    Welcome to The Pit.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here