Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stumps Restoration Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stumps Restoration Progress

I've posted about this before asking for advice, but figured I'd add a progress post for anyone interested.

I picked up a Classic Stumps gravity fed smoker a month or so ago and have been working to bring her back to life. It has been one of the more daunting projects I've ever taken on. At several points I've worried that what I thought was a good deal might actually be money thrown out the window. I'm still not certain it's not, but at this point I'm optimistic that it will turn out alright.

I have done a poor job with my picture documentation, but here's what I've captured so far:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190310_191657_resized.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.06 MB ID:	659385
    Apart from the pervasive rust, the biggest problem I uncovered when I fired it up was the top shoot door. The gasket was trashed and it was leaking a ton of heat.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190313_120728_resized.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.15 MB ID:	659389Click image for larger version  Name:	20190313_120822_resized.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	659388Click image for larger version  Name:	20190313_121036_resized.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.15 MB ID:	659391Click image for larger version  Name:	20190313_121104_resized.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.24 MB ID:	659392Click image for larger version  Name:	20190313_120910_resized (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.43 MB ID:	659390
    Like I said, the rust was much more wide spread than I realized going into this. That's what I get for internet (craigslist) shopping right?!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190313_120903_resized.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.58 MB ID:	659386
    Inside the cabinet door, rust galore!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190313_120722_resized.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	659387

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190313_120518_resized (1).jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	659393
    Another reason I had to order a new shoot door, the upper part (goose neck) part of the latch was broken off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190313_120632_resized.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.32 MB ID:	659395
    Here's the trashed shoot door gasket.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190313_120644_resized.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.29 MB ID:	659394Click image for larger version  Name:	20190310_133658_resized.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.82 MB ID:	659397
    I soaked all 5 grates in vinegar and baking soda... repeatedly. Just cleaning the grates took me over a week.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190402_194636.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.83 MB ID:	659400
    As you can imagine, I've dirtied a few rags in this process.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190330_125201_resized.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.55 MB ID:	659396

I stripped off all the hardware, wheels included, and sanded, sanded, sanded, stripped, stripped, treated heavy rust, sanded...

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190330_125223_resized.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.37 MB ID:	659398
    There was a lot more sanding after this, but I didn't take pictures. I stripped it down a lot, but probably still could have done a lot more, but I decided I wasn't interested in making it look brand new. I want it to look ok, but mostly i want it to COOK.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190402_193241_resized.jpg Views:	1 Size:	883.3 KB ID:	659399 So here's where I'm at. It's primed (one more coat to go), but I still have to tilt it over and attack the legs. The shoot door won't arrive for another two weeks, so I still have time for painting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	54168.jpeg
Views:	255
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	659562

After a truck load of elbow grease, I got the racks and chamber cleaned out and re-seasoned too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	54167.jpeg
Views:	260
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	659563
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JPGators17; April 3, 2019, 02:33 PM.

Nice progress! In the end, I'm sure you will be happy.

Comment

Its coming along! You certainly picked a project but when its all done just think of all the meat that will hold!

Comment

• JPGators17
        JPGators17 commented
        Editing a comment
        That's all that keeps me going!

Looking at those first picks, I thought YOWZA, I wouldn't take that on - I might have been able to bring it back, but not without a month of 'what are you thinking?' from the missus. I'd have to hide it.

I am looking forward to more pics - that looks like a good job so far.
      Last edited by JGo37; April 3, 2019, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• JPGators17
        JPGators17 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm totally with you. When I went to pick it up I had a "oh s%@!, what have I done" moment, but I've surprised myself so far and it's been a great lesson in persistence and patience, BIG time lol. Stay tuned for the results.

I seem to get myself in those kinds of projects alll the time!! I don't know how much ya paid for it but damn is that thing cool!!!

Comment

Following this.

Comment

This is great! Keep us posted!

Comment

Thanks! My last decision is whether to paint it with regular black paint or high heat black paint. The company told me they don't use high heat on theirs, but since this one is older I might use high heat just in case the insulation isn't as good as it once was. They told me they use "#9600 Henry Ford Black" paint, but since none of my local suppliers seem to know what that is, i'm not going worry about trying to match the new shoot door perfectly.

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              One note about most high heat paints is that they DO need high heat to properly cure. With that said, I refurbished my Santa Maria grill in similar shape and didn't bother to switch paints when I did the non-heat exposed areas (legs and such) with no problems.

• JPGators17
              JPGators17 commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting, I had no idea. I'd rather do the non-high heat because I can get a gloss in that kind.

Forgot to add pics of the cleaned up/re-seasoned inside. Just added a couple, so now this post is current, inside and out.

Comment

Great project and it looks like you're doing a fine job. I too enjoy refurbishing stuff. It can be a PIA sometimes, but well worth it in the end.

Comment

Lookeeng gooood!

Comment

That's a great project. I'm sure you will get her done.

Comment

At the risk of a pun it was a pretty rustic project.

Comment

Love this thread, thanks for sharing this!

Comment

The Stump's company is still stringing me along regarding the new shoot door I need, but everything else is done. Just a waiting game now.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here