Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Assassin 36” Charcoal vs Hasty Bake Gourmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assassin 36” Charcoal vs Hasty Bake Gourmet

I have read and read on this before asking. Secondly, I have reached out to some folks in this group who own or have owned the Hasty Bake and everyone has been a huge help. I am looking to purchase a new cooker and do not want to spend more than $2500. I have narrowed my search down to 2.

The Hasty Bake Gourmet and the Assassin 36” Charcoal. I have yet to see any real negatives on either and it is probably just going to come down to a decision and a tough one it will be. There are pros and cons to both. The Hasty Bake has sure been around a while and has an awesome following and reputation. There are a lot of accessories with the only con being the thickness of the metal and not as air tight. The Assassin appears to be heavy, a larger cooking area and is custom built but has not been around as long obviously so there is just not a lot out there on them.

I would love to hear from the group here to get your thoughts. My goal is to have a versatile grill that will last.

Thanks in advance for your help. What a fantastic group!

Never heard of the Assassin but man that thing looks great. Hasty’s are the bomb tuff choice. Also notice that Assassin makes the same unit in a pellet, sweet !!!

Comment

• DavidNorcross
      DavidNorcross commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks...thats my only concern with the Assassin. Not alot out there on them.

I’d go with Hastybake because you can adjust the height of the fire grate and I think that makes it a more versatile cooker.

Comment

I really like the stuff I read about the Assassin, and the fact it is made in my native state of Georgia. They even offer a BBQ Guru adapter! I also like the expanded metal front and side shelves that are removable. The down side... they've not been making grills/smokers since the 1950's, and while they are an "established" company, there is not as much guarantee they will be around 10 years down the road as there probably is with Hasty Bake.

Not likely in either case you will need many parts, but I know with the smoker I've got, my Dad's welders made it up around 1985, and I got him to make me a replacement firebox about 10 years ago, and he retired 2 years ago. Now that almost 50 year old company in Canton, GA is closing its doors and liquidating their equipment. So if I need more spare parts, I gotta pay someone local to fabricate them. Or get a new smoker.

The adjustable height of the fire grate as Butchman says is a plus on the Hastybake. With the deflector/water pan removed, you can use that as a kind of 'Santa Maria' grill, you are just moving the fire up and down, versus the cooking grate up and down.

It comes down to what you want to spend - the Assassin looks cheaper and seems well built. Worst case is they are not in business when you need spare parts in 10 or 15 years. Can't say Hasty Bake will still be around then either though, so not sure that's a factor to consider.

Comment

Thank you all for your input.

Comment

Man! Those Assassin smokers are beasts! They look a lot like what the new Lone Star Grillz smokers. (I wonder if they have some of the same people doing design work for them?) Either way, they look like very solid construction. You can't go wrong there. This is great for a company that has only been around a few years, and you don't know how long they will be around in the future. At least you know the construction is solid, so you will not have to worry too much about things breaking or you needing to exercise the warranty.

All that being said, I love the fact that you can adjust the cooking height on the Hasty-Bake. They are very versatile cookers and you cannot go wrong with one on your patio. I know we have several members, including Meathead, that are very happy with their HBs.

I realize this probably does little to help but please let us know what you come up with when you make your decision. (Add we wanna see pics!!)

Comment

Well, since I only know what I’ve seen and read about them & mostly the Hasty Bake I’ll give my vote on two things. They, the HB, participate in Our gold medal giveaway & and I think it looks cooler. 🕶

Comment

Did you consider the M1?
              When it comes to crafting the best BBQ, you need gear that matches your passion for grilling excellence. The American made M1 grill and smoker is your ultimate culinary partner, built to elevate your BBQ game. Say goodbye to compromise and shortcuts – this is the last cooker you'll ever need. Versatile and efficient, t

Comment

• DavidNorcross
                DavidNorcross commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, great looking cooker for sure. But there have been alot of changes each year. I am not saying that as a negative at all, but once they stop with the modifications I think that cooker will be hard to beat.

• Butchman
                Butchman commented
                Editing a comment
                I think the recent modifications of the M1 are good and it’s encouraging that they are responsive to owners suggestions.

• DavidNorcross
                DavidNorcross commented
                Editing a comment
                Please know that I am not bashing the M1. It has been on my short list for sure.

I've cooked on a Hasty Bake, The smallest size assassin (it's big), and an M1 (my buddy did most of the cooking) I watched. They are all great. That being said after playing with all three I have a Hasty Bake Gourmet and a HB ranger. They are also cheaper once you count the crate and shipping fees. I wish I could have them all.....I probably will one day SMH😂

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here