Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Much better cook on my new G2 Chubby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Much better cook on my new G2 Chubby

I smoked a brisket and a pork butt for Christmas Eve. After two dry runs and two pork butts just for fun, this was the first "production" cook on my new G2 smoker. Here are the two cuts of meat. Choice pork butt and prime full brisket. Notice the corner chunk taken out of the brisket to indicate grain direction after the cook. (Saw that on a video somewhere.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	raw.JPEG Views:	1 Size:	982.9 KB ID:	612777

This is what the cook looked like. I needed to leave at 6 PM w/the brisket in a faux cambro. So I started pretty early, as you can see. Lighting charcoal at 5 AM, putting meat in just after 6 AM. I only had one meat probe, so I put it in the brisket, as I figured it would finish sooner. (I wrapped it around 170.) It was probe tender at about six hours. I then swapped the probe over to the butt and put it back in. Took a few more temp checks, but it was done 2 hours later.

I used the BBQ Guru CyberQ to keep things around 250. (I dropped it down towards the end of the cook, as I was WAY ahead of time.) The device itself works ok, but the interface is indeed really clunky. I think I'm going to return it and get a fireboard.

I know many said I don't need a device like this with the G2, but it was actually one of the big reasons I got one. I wanted to control and monitor things much more than I could on the PBC. I can't tell you how nice it is to be out on a store run or whatever, and just glance at my phone to see how my cook is doing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2018-12-25 at 1.03.20 PM.png Views:	1 Size:	20.2 KB ID:	612780

Here's what the pork looked like when it was probe tender.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pork1.JPEG Views:	1 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	612779Click image for larger version  Name:	pork2.JPEG Views:	1 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	612778

I didn't take pics of the brisket when I pulled it or as I was cutting it. But I did take a pic once it was cut.

Click image for larger version  Name:	brisket.JPEG Views:	1 Size:	1.14 MB ID:	612776

I put the wrapped brisket in the oven at 200' and then wrapped the pork and did the same thing. Held it there until it my wife needed the oven at 5 PM, then put it in the faux cambro for the one hour journey that would start at 6. Two hours later, the meat measured 155 when I cut it.

Let me say it's the best brisket I've done so far. In a very meat centric family "pot luck," my brisket was gone way before anything. I mean WAY before. One cousin came up and said "everyone is talking about some meat you made that melts in your mouth. where is that?" There were about 40 people, and if you weren't in the first half of people in line, you didn't get brisket.

The pork was good, but it wasn't as good as the brisket. I've done it more moist before, so I'm not sure what else I could have done. I know I USED to wrap it, because you HAD to in the PBC. Wondering if I should be wrapping my pork butt, too.

I guess it went well.

Update: BTW, this is the first time using the #16 mesh black pepper. That's all the brisket got was kosher salt and #16 mesh. Bark was the best this time.
    Last edited by wcpreston; December 26, 2018, 11:53 AM.

awesome congrats!

Comment

Great cook, an write up, Brother!
      Congrats on yer success, an Merry Christmas to all yall there!
      Sounds like mebbe 2-3 Prime briskies, next year???
      Rock On, G2 Chubby !!!!!

Comment

• wcpreston
        wcpreston commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, yea. The price on just them at Costco pays for our membership.

Great looking results. I have been injecting my butts and then wrapping with beef broth once the stall begins. Remove at 203 and cambro about 2 hrs. Pull and put all juice in the cambro in with the pork. Have had good results that way.

Comment

I like that trick of the notch too. I use it all the time. My eyesight isn’t as good as it was 50 years ago.

Comment

Great looking cook!

Comment

Very nice!
            Looks great!

Comment

Oh yea, I like meat that melts in your mouth too !!! Great looking cook brother !!!

Comment

That looks great! I never wrapped butts or brisket (well I only cooked one brisket before this year) and loved the way they came out. But now, I have started wrapping in foil on either when they get to about 170 i.t. and let them go to 205-210 it. Then, because they are done MUCH quicker than NOT wrapping, I put them in my faux cambraux for 1-3 hours. Even after 3, it's still to hot to touch without gloves. My wife who WAS NOT a pulled pork fan, absolutely loves pork this way. It is very moist, but not greasy. I don't spritz or anything. Just MMD on pork and I made a mix of kosher salt and Montreal steak seasoning for my last brisket. Best brisket I have had.

Oh, this is all on my Weber Kettle with the Slow N Sear. I love that thing. I think when it's time for another grill, it will be a 26" kettle with a SlowNSear.

Comment

• wcpreston
                  wcpreston commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yea, I'm going to go back to wrapping my pork butts. I used to do that on the PBC, but thought maybe it was a PBC thing. But there is a significant difference in moisture level.

• droopie69
                  droopie69 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I thought it would make them greasy and kill the bark, but the last one I didn't wrap, the wife complained the bark was too tough. She was actually right. By getting them to 170-175 before wrapping, the bark is still pretty good even though it starts basting in the foil.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here