Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to light a Backwoods Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to light a Backwoods Smoker

There are so many different ways to light a Chubby. I have two from the included instructions alone. Then there are others on youtube. And, of course, jlazar's instructions from the previous post. So I thought I'd throw these out and we could all chat. (Discussion points at the end.)

1. From the "Getting Started w/your Chubby" Doc
    Also the same as this official video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAwD36abEQ4

a. Start 1/2 chimney of charcoal
    b. Fill water pan to 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the top
    c. Add lit charcoal to back left corner
    d. Fill unlit charcoal around it (making sure it touches) (doesn't say how much, but the video says to "fill" it)
    e. All dampers open
    f. When w/in 5-10 degrees of target temp, close side dampers to 1/4"
    g. Put your meat in
    h. NOW put your wood of choice on the coals (only one part touching the hot coals)

2. From the "Start up the fire box" doc

a .Put firepan on ground
    b. Fill pan to the top w/charcoal
    c. Spray a six inch cirlce w/lighter fluid
    d. Take out your water pan and bottom shelf
    e. Put fire pan back in once the flames are out and coals are white around the edges
    f. When w/in 20-25 degrees of target temp, replace water pan and bottom shelf
    g. Add wood to fire and water to bottom shelf

3. From the "HowToBBQRight" video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrF0FRhxCjU :

a. didn't discuss when to put water
    b. Filled fire pan w/brickets
    c. Filled back 6" w/a full chimney (screen cap below)
    d. He CLOSES his top vent and opens the bottom ones until he sees "smoke billowing out"
    e. Then he opens the top vent
    f. He closes his side vents to "two fingers wide"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 9.33.40 PM.png
Views:	1295
Size:	353.7 KB
ID:	608156

4. The jlazar method (reworded based on my conversations. John, tell me if I got anything wrong)

a. Start w/water pan w/very hot water
    b. Single layer of charcoal w/wood chunks on top (now)
    c. Leave back left corner empty (so that 12-15 coals will more than cover the hole)
    d. Light 12-15 coals in a chimney, dump in fire pan, making sure they're touching other coals on all sides
    e. All vents open
    f. Close vents to 1/4" at 150 (75 degrees from target)
    g. Close vents to no visible gap at 215 (10 degrees from target)
    h. Will settle in at 225 or thereabouts
    i. Temp will drop when you add food

Here's a reddit thread with some lighting tips:

And a bbq-brethren thread:

There's even this video where a guy lit his whole basket with a flame thrower:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 9.59.55 PM.png
Views:	1229
Size:	470.8 KB
ID:	608157

So.. discussion points:

1. Full basket or single layer? I haven't had much luck w/John's single layer, but we all know I had air problems. He says he runs a single layer for 8 hours. Everyone else seems like they use a semi-full basket.

2. Can we agree that method #2 above is way off? Not sure why they even include it in the docs, given that it contradicts w/the other doc and their video.

3. Hot water or cold? I think the idea is that it speeds up the preheat.

4. Wood on the coals in the beginning or after adding meat? The idea is that the earlier application of the wood gets rid of the initial ugly white smoke.

5. Full chimney, half chimney, or 15 coals? I'm wondering if things would go a bit faster w/half a chimney, but I think John's worried it'll get too hot TOO quick.

1. I go a single layer for everything but a long cook like brisket or butts. But I don't place a single layer in. I just pour about that amount in the tray and spread it around. The key is not too have too many coals lit if you are cooking at 225-250. If I am doing chicken or a turkey at 325-350, I would bunch the coals up higher to allow more to light. It is just something you learn based on what you are cooking, the desired temp, and the length of the cook.
    2. Never ever use lighter fluid.
    3. Hot speeds. It doesn't have to be boiling but not cold tap water.
    4. I put the wood on when the hot coals are poured on. I try not to reopen the heating chamber after that point. You are letting a lot of oxygen in. The white smoke usually turns to blue within 20-30 min. That's when I put the meat on.
    5. For low and slow use 15. Easier to bring up to temp than back down. Of course you can make the process go faster, I just plan this in my timeline. I am usually doing the final meat prep while the heating up process is taking place.

Bottom line. Everyone with a G2 will have their preferred approach. Try it and if you don't like it, change a step to what suits you. Good Luck.

Comment

• wcpreston
      wcpreston commented
      Editing a comment
      I think we're pretty solidly in agreement. And we're at similar altitudes, so your approach should work here, too!

Maybe my reticence on the full basket thing comes from the fact that I MOSTLY cook briskets and butts.

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      As MattTheGR8 says below. If you are planning on using a fan and controller, then the amount of coals/depth is less critical. The controller should take care of things. I would still start with a smaller amount of coals in the starter.

Keep in mind that Matt has a Party which has significantly more space to heat than the G2. That may be the reason he uses more coals to start and get up to temp.

• wcpreston
      wcpreston commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point on the Party. Bigger house takes more heat!

You'll be happy to know I am three hours into my first "real" cook. I went past 225 a bit but got it back down. It's hovering around 225 right now.

Nice pork shoulder sitting in there covered in Kosher Salt and Memphis Dust. Very excited!

Thanks so much for all your help!

With my Party I always use a Stoker to control it, so my method may vary a bit from those using the vents to control temp. I typically use a full basket of coals, though for short cooks I might only have half of the basket filled (but that half will be full-depth with charcoal). Then, I hit the front right corner with my Looftlighter to get 8-10 coals going; that corner is closest to the Stoker's blower. From there the Stoker feeds it air to get it up to temp, with the top vent only cracked per Stoker instructions. I'll pour boiling water into the water pan, I figure there is no need for the heat of the fire to be wasted on heating water when I can do that simultaneously on the stove top. As you noted, hot water should help bring the cooker up to temp faster. The wood chunks go on once the cooker is up to temp, perhaps 15-20 minutes before the meat goes on so that the smoke can clear up once the wood is going. For longer cooks I'll have to add more wood later in the cook, so the meat does still get a bit of dirty smoke. If anyone knows of a workaround for this, please let me know.

Regarding your points:
    1. Full basket, but depending on the length of the cook maybe only part of the basket will be filled.
    2. Lighter fluid in or even near my cooker? HELL NO!
    3. Boiling water, it adds heat to the cooker getting it to temp quicker.
    4. Before the meat goes on, but not right at the start since it would be consumed by the time the cooker is up to temp.
    5. Chimney? The Looftlighter works fine for me but a starter cube in the corner of the basket would work great too.

Comment

• wcpreston
      wcpreston commented
      Editing a comment
      Looflighter looks awesome. I switched to the smaller chimney I got with my PBC and it's all good for now.

Yeah, the Looftlighter is fun; but honestly it's an MCS related splurge. A good chimney is much more all-purpose and economical.

Comment

I don’t have a chubby, but I like readin everything, most always interested. After watching that video, I can’t hep but to read everything with a drawl. Good thread, smoke on ya’ll.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here