Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backwoods Smoker Chubby & G2 Chubby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backwoods Smoker Chubby & G2 Chubby

Anybody have either of these and can provide thoughts on experience and whether to recommend? TIA and happy grilling!

Between the 2, I would opt for the G2. The G2 line is the upgrade and it is slightly bigger inside and built a little heavier (not that the original Chubby wasn't). Have you seen Meathead's review of them? He discusses the G2 at the bottom half of the review. I don't own one myself but they were one of the contenders when I was shopping so I researched them fairly well. Personally I would opt for the Party. It's likely in the coming years you'll never say 'I should've gotten the smaller one', but quite likely you'll wish you'd have gotten the bigger one.

Comment

• Adamporter
      Adamporter commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks.

I have the G2 Chubby. I love it for pastrami, pulled pork, ribs, turkeys and prime rib. You can do several racks of ribs in them, but if you want to do ribs, beans, cornbread and everything it may be worth it to get the Party model. I love the chubby, but now that I use it, I almost wish I had purchased the party. The big difference for me was the price. Both models are solidly built, and the chubby was all I could afford.

Comment

• Beefchop
      Beefchop commented
      Editing a comment
      Jim, is it true that the depth allows you lay a whole rack of ribs flat on the grate?

I want one -- does that count? Actually, I was poking my head in a brand new G2 Chubby on Friday. I do really want one!

Comment

Yes Beefchop, the grates are heavy duty and are heavy in themselves. I can fit about two racks flat per grate, with 4 grates in my smoker. If you want more, you have to prop them up sideways or cut the racks of ribs up. I just don't like to cut them into smaller pieces.

Comment

• Beefchop
        Beefchop commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the info. Jim. Like you, I hate cutting my rib racks. It's the one knock I have on my 18.5" WSM. You have to cut or contort your racks to get them to fit on the 18" diameter grate.

The 2 upgrade would be worth it, in my book, just to make sure you could lay the racks flat.

i bought a g2 chubby last year and have found i can produce competition quality product (i am a back yard bbq'r with a florida bbq judge certification) consistently every time. can maintain 225 +/- 10 deg f for 6-8 hrs between lump charcoal/wood chunk refuels with minimal damper adjustments. the grates donot need to be as heavy and water pan tricky to lift out without dipping out the dripping/remaining water to about 1/2 -3/4 inches level - fits tight and awkward to tilt up and out the cook chamber door. considering the consistent product quality and minimal lined out temp control attention these are fine tuning points and not "show stoppers". if i need to buy another one i would have the side lifting handles and wheels included. too heavy for one person to move around/lift. worth the money and built to last a very long time.

Comment

Check out our Searchable Equipment Reviews for more info on these smokers.

Comment

Have you checked out Humphrey's? I saw one in person a couple weeks ago, and I think they're a bit better bang for the buck vs. Backwoods. Seriously considering using my tax return to fund one...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here