Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ordered my G2 Chubby!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The most I have tried with large cuts is a single 14 lb (after trimming) packer and two 7.5 lb pork butts. I could easily fit 3 briskets on separate shelves but 4 would be hard due to the height of the brisket and distance between racks. You could probably fit 6 by putting 2 on each of 3 shelves. Would probably load point to back on one and flat to back on the other. Racks are 15.5 inches wide so I think you could fit two side by side.

If you don't need to end them at the same time, just monitor IT with a probe. If they need to finish close together, then I would move the racks from top to bottom every 3-4 hours. FYI, I usually wrap when a brisket hits 175-180. Using this approach, I am ready to put into the cooler about 7-8 hours after start. I have never had a large cut (beef or pork) run the 12 or more hours folks talk about on this forum. The G2 runs easily at 225 at the first half of the cook. It seems to want to go up to around 250-260 in the second half even with the controller. I am sure I could keep it lower by adding more water to the pan but I usually only do that at the beginning of the cook. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by jlazar; January 20, 2020, 09:46 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfect information, just what I was looking for. Thanks!

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      Just thought that perhaps loading 6 briskets at once could extend the cooking time. It would certainly lower your starting temp. So I would get the G2 up to 275 before putting them on then set it for 225-250 once I saw the temp going back up. The G2 recovers very quickly after having the door open.

Forgot to mention. The temp gauge on the door of the G2 reads within 10 degrees of a rack in the middle position. So if I were monitoring six briskets with a probe in each from the Fireboard, I would just rely on the external gauge to monitor the G2 temp.

Here is a test I did with the Fireboard when I got my G2.
    Backwoods Chubby G2 temperature test Set at 250
    Racks are 22d x 15.5w 3" apart 1/4" nickel plated wire
    Fireboard with 6 probes
    Each shelf after 90 minutes of probe placemet
    Water in Pan
    Probe Position Top Shelf Second Shelf Third Shelf Bottom Shelf
    Back Left 266.2 239.3 244.7 254.5
    Back Right 263.3 235.1 247.1 253.8
    Middle Left 268.6 237.6 247 257.4
    Middle Right 254.9 235.1 250.3 254.3
    Front Left 255.8 238.6 244.1 257.8
    Front Right 258.8 236.5 248.6 255.1
    Average Temp 261.3 237.0 247.0 255.5
    Max Variation 13.7 4.2 6.2 4.0

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here