Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rain Cap for Backwoods Smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain Cap for Backwoods Smoker?

Evening all.

I’ve got a Backwoods Chubby, love it to bits. However I have one minor niggle with it - the chimney has a sliding vent closure, which means rain can go straight down the open chimney and due to the reverse flow nature of the smoker potentially pool at the bottom of the chimney vent.

Does anyone know of a rain cover solution for these smokers that is less general than putting it under an umbrella, and more elegant than a DIY tinfoil hat?

Thanks!

If anyone is interested, I got a custom one folded up from stainless steel pretty cheaply - fits great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-08-19 10.26.25.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	551008

Comment

Design specs per below if anyone wants them - this allows the cap to sit nicely over the chimney and leave plenty enough room for the damper to swing out at whatever angle you require.

Dimensions are in millimetres.

Name:	design.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	551010

Comment

Also got a couple of snake panels made up for the firebox, I tended to find it would churn through charcoal pretty quick, which not only meant i went through plenty of charcoal, it meant that to keep the temperature low enough to do 215-225F i had the dampers so low that it created some unpleasant smoke. This way, with less charcoal burning at once, I can let more air in to maintain the same temperature.

Name:	2018-08-19 10.42.03.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	551013

Name:	2018-08-19 18.09.35.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	551012

Comment

BlackrazorNZ Toss the flap on the chimney and just use the air intake to control the temp. I don't use exhaust dampers on any of my smokers I build.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here