Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke management on Gravity Feed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke management on Gravity Feed?

I'm thinking about heating up the Viking gravity feed for the first time... and keeping it going for a few days or more. It is time for me to start learning this cooker.

From what little I have seen and read on this style cooker, it is best served by a long preheat. I'm guessing that getting this thing really "heat soaked" is a process and I expect this will really shine best after it's been rolling for a day or more. I have quality temp monitoring/control via Stoker 2, and a 5cfm fan.

I'm thinking start really low, and smoke some cheeses, on the way up, (maybe a coffee can with some coals and twigs), before heading up to 225ish for a low and slow, and then on up closer to 300 to see how it handles bird/skin. Am interested in seeing how some cast iron beans/casserole on the lower shelf will affect cooker temps. But, I'm rambling...

What I really want insight on is the best way others have found to get quality smoke, and what are some of the pitfalls/challenges one faces with a gravity feed cabinet.. I've seen vids of letting coals on wood chunks. Is this what ya'll really do, and how does it work for you? How do YOU achieve that thin, blue smoke? Can it be done on a gravity feed with fan control?

Does anyone put hard wood in the chimney directly, even if just in the preheat stages for low and slow? Having a real bed of hardwood coals for smoke and heat maybe, for each round of meat first entering the cooker? Then following up with charcoal, for fuel. Is this a viable strategy...

Considering investing in a gravity fed unit and looking forward the forum's response.

Comment

Southern Q Limo Jr on order, should arrive mid January.
      looking forward to sharing experiences
      Attached Files
      Last edited by learning pellets; April 11, 2017, 08:16 PM. Reason: Completed seasoning and hosted friends & co-workers

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here