Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help on my New Vault Cabinet Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PaulstheRibList
    commented on 's reply
    That sounds like a great setup!

• Powersmoke_80
    replied
    Her is a dumb idea maybe, but would a taller stack help create some more draw since the reverse flow has so much resistance? Maybe try adding a 2 ft piece of stove pipe over your stack. That's why Jambos flow so well the chimney is the engine of a stove.

Leave a comment:

• Powersmoke_80
    commented on 's reply
    I'll tell you Paul, adding the pellet hopper to my offset is awesome for that very reason. I add small splits to the basket above the fire pot every 45 min and if I am not paying attention the auger just runs more. And by adding splits regularly I get awesome clean smoke with the fan blowing.

• PaulstheRibList
    replied
    Pit is still not, now 3rd day in a row.

Pair of Pork Butts sitting on it now.

No water in the pan.
    Small batch of hot coals in there, temps are steady at 250.

It needs a good bit less fuel to keep temp with no water in it (obviously).

Tomorrow morning...Breakfast Pulled Pork!

Leave a comment:

• PaulstheRibList
    commented on 's reply
    @edible_hen, you will love it!!!

• edible hen
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the link. I placed my order and it should be here in the next week. I can't wait to try it out.

• PaulstheRibList
    replied
    Today's results were better!

Put more wood than I did on previous cooks.

And, controlled heat by:

1.) Keeping water in the waterpan
    2.) Controlling heat largely by the amount of fuel in the cooker, so I never had to turn the valve more than 45 degrees (so 50% open)

Results:
    > More of a smoke ring
    > Better smoke flavor (though not awesome, yet)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0624.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	215011

Leave a comment:

• PaulstheRibList
    commented on 's reply
    2 things have changed since those early days...2014

1. I've bought more seasoned wood
    2. I got a http://www.kindlingcracker.com/, which is MANDATORY for anyone using a mid-size or smaller stickburner. Allows you to put in the right size (smaller) logs to not overheat your pit.

• PaulstheRibList
    commented on 's reply
    I found that when my wood was green or greenish, the preburn was super helpful.

• Danjohnston949
    replied
    Gents, Keep this Thread Going! I am trying to Learn Something I can use in My Oklahoma Joe Offset! Paul, I have a friend that has a Smoker/Grill made from 1000 Gal Propane Tank! I borrowed it for My Dad's 80th Birthday, Cooked a Case of Pork Butts for a Ya'll Come Party at the Legion Club turned out great in spite of my ignorance! The Grill Owner told me that in addition to Charcoal and Wood Fire he kept the Weed Burner Going Continuosly! I did!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Leave a comment:

• edible hen
    commented on 's reply
    Just fresh from the pile? No preburn or preheating on the pot warmer? I'll give it a go next weekend.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Adding more fresh wood will help with a little stronger smoke flavor, especially early on, in my experience.

• edible hen
    commented on 's reply
    Huskee I preburn logs.

PaulstheRibList A Yoder Durango

• PaulstheRibList
    commented on 's reply
    @edible_hen, what are you cooking on?

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Spritzing would only help more smoke stick. Do you add fresh firewood, or do you preburn?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here