Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Cook on the Char-Griller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Cook on the Char-Griller

I still have a lot to learn on this cooker, and I’m not sure how long it will last, but I was pretty pleased with its performance today.

it maintained temperature pretty consistently, and provided an amazing flavor. Next steps will be to add some gasket to the hopper - might also go with the LSS mod.

also, for anyone who has this grill, is there a place that is particularly susceptible to screws coming out? I found a screw on the floor of my garage before I completed the burn-in, but can’t for the life of me find where it came from.

- Steve
    Attached Files

Congrats!

I see a lot of ash on the ground. Is this considered normal for theses?

Comment

• NumbWhistle
      NumbWhistle commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s just some discoloration of my driveway (not ash). I’ve been putting off resurfacing it. 😬

That's a fine looking smoker! I would think it will last for many years to come! Everyone has a loose screw, however some don't get to find them!
    Great cook!
    Last edited by RiverJeff; October 2, 2022, 09:12 AM.

Comment

You’ve got quite the mochine there Numb. More cooks please, thanks! Congrats man!

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Congrats on the new cooker. Looking forward to your posting many fine cooks from it.

Comment

The cook looks. It looks like boneless skinless chicken thighs which I do often.

Comment

It’s a nice looking smoker!

Comment

I just noticed, the plate matches the grill... Cool.

Comment

Looks good, I will check them out on the web. Interested in knowing more about the gauge/material and smoke stack

Comment

Here is the comparison review for those interested:

Comment

Had my second cook tonight. Went with smoked turkey breast with cornbread. Instead of hickory, I went with apple wood this time. Turned out delicious. That said, I did have a bit of a problem with grease leaking around the drip tray. Not sure why, but I will be exploring further.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Allon
                        Allon commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Turkey over applewood, sounds delicious...
                        Cornbread looks good as well...

Sorry to revive an old post, but I'm itching to get a new smoker and considering this one. Still happy with it? Any insights 8 months later? What happened with the grease leak?

Thanks!

Comment

• NumbWhistle
                        NumbWhistle commented
                        Editing a comment
                        And Jerod, thank you for the alert!

• USFBullsFan2819
                        USFBullsFan2819 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Jerod! And thanks NumbWhistle! Strongly considering this one, especially with the current sale at Lowe's... I saw some of the videos Tom Horsman posted about this one and some of his mods look particularly useful too.

• NumbWhistle
                        NumbWhistle commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Tom Horsman’s videos were very influential in my deciding to go with this smoker over the Masterbuilt. He recently did a two year comparison, and he still feels the Char-Griller comes out on top overall. That said, I’m guessing they are more similar than different in the end.

Well I did the darn thing, super excited for it to get here in a few days. Will be a couple weeks before I can set it up and fire it up, but I'll make sure to post a thread about it. Thanks all for the insights!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here