Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masterbuilt 560 grease leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Masterbuilt 560 grease leak

My Masterbuilt 560 leaks grease out onto the concrete below it. That stains the concrete and I haven't been able to get it out. I don't think a smoker should leak stuff like that, disappointed and not happy about it. It goes out the left rear, but did once on the left front once too. There are all sorts of seams that are not sealed. I put something under it to catch the grease, but on a long cook it dripped enough that it ran off that onto the concrete. Yeah, I can put something bigger under it, that might just be the answer. I tried sealing it where I thought the leak was, with high temp ultra black gasket maker. No difference, could be I didn't do a good job or didn't get the right spot. I clean it out pretty good after every cook, I don't let stuff build up.

I do have the LSS manifold cover, maybe that channels the grease to a bad spot. I will try cooking without that. I also use drip trays to catch as much as I can, and it still is enough to leak. Why isn't this sealed better?

Any ideas about getting the grease stains out of the concrete, and any better ideas about how to stop the leak?
    Last edited by Mark V; June 25, 2022, 06:42 PM.

I don't have your cooker, so I can't help with the leak. A good pressure washer works well. Don't let it sit too long (weeks of repeated cooks). I get grease on my brick floor and it works well. I have an electric power washer (with a lower PSI) which I use for windows, the cars and the general cleaning of the wooden deck. My gas pressure washer is a beast and I use it for the walk-way (concrete) and the BBQ area.
    Last edited by tbob4; June 25, 2022, 06:51 PM.

Comment

I have the same issue with my 1050. It hasn't bothered me enough yet to really do anything about it, though. For the concrete, I would just scrub some Dawn dishwashing liquid into it, let it work for awhile and then pressure wash it off.

Comment

Is the cooker level?
        Is it under warranty?
        Does it leak only when hot or leak after cooling too?
        What does the Masterbuilt 560 customer service have to say?
        You may search Masterbuilt 560 forums and/or google for an answer.

Comment

• Mark V
          Mark V commented
          Editing a comment
          It is level and should still be under warranty. It only leaks when hot. Have not contacted customer service. I did search, others have the same problem. One suggestion was to check to make sure all the bolts are tight, will do that. I just have not seen anyone say "this is the problem right here and this is what to do about it. I will have to poke around more, perhaps contact customer service, I suspect they have heard about this.

Mine leaks as well and I don’t have any advice on how to fix it if the unit is already level. Others have better ideas on how to clean it.

I do have one of these that captures all of the leaks perfectly. It is worth seeing if it will come back in stock. You can probably find other mats
        that will work as well.

Diversitech Original Grill Mat Grill Mat - BBQ Floor Mat - Put Under Gas Grill, Fryer, Fire Pit - Protects Decks and Patios - 30 x 42 Inches - Rectangle - Black https://a.co/8PQ5C0Y

Comment

Mark, I would try to figure out where it leaking and return it if it's under warranty. Get a new one and high temp caulk the seams and see if that works. Leaking grease isn't acceptable.

Comment

End of the effort and story, unfortunately no good resolution. I have gone back and forth with Masterbuilt all summer. I leveled it, etc. They sent me a bottom pan, of course that would not fix the problem. They next sent me a new body, and that was some work to replace. No difference. Now they are back at me with all the original suggestions. I think it has to be a design problem. Told them twice I could spray water on the interior side wall and it just runs right out., no answer to that. I use drip pans, there is hardly anything in the bottom pan or their drip pan. I think it is a fantastic product especially for the price, and I am happy for the most part with the effort they have put in to respond. The parts they sent me are about half the cost of the entire grill. I will continue to clamp a paper towel onto the leg to catch the leak. I have seen others talk about this online, but have never seen anyone with a solution.

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              I have it on my to-do list to fix this on mine. I believe there may be a seam in the front left corner of the part that drains into the bottom pan. I'll have to clean it thoroughly to be sure. I'm thinking a bead of RTV should do the trick. I love my grill too much to just give up on it. 🙂

If you do not get the results you are looking for w/Dawn n press wash. Very carefully spot clean w/ 10% muratic acid(pool supplies). Be sure to rinse completely!! Brick layers use this to clean brick jobs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here