Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me spend my money :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You've all given me things to consider. I thought about this overnight, talked a bit with my wife (she is tired of hearing about it), and have a few thoughts.

What I want from this new grill/smoker is this:
    • To be able to cook 3 racks of baby back ribs, laid flat, and get some smoke flavor on them. More racks can be accommodated with a rib rack or upper rack if needed.
    • If it can hold the 3 racks of ribs, pork butt, brisket etc. should be no problem.
    • Convenience: This includes building and managing the fire and cleanup. The more convenient it is, the more I will use it.
    • Price: It's a toy. We already have the Memphis pellet grill ($$$). I'll likely only use it a few times a month since the wife likes the convenience of the pellet grill. Therefore, it's hard to justify spending too much on it.
    • Not really too concerned about overnight cooks the more I think about it. I can do pork butt in a day low and slow. Next brisket I can try hot and fast. I too like my sleep.
    With this in mind, here are my thoughts on the grills/smokers I am still considering:
    1. Backwoods Chubby 3400: Sounds like a brilliant smoker but the racks are really small for the price. Also, the water pan can be nasty to clean up from what I've read.
    2. Weber Summit Kamado: Sounds like a brilliant all around cooker but it is really expensive. Too much money for a toy when we already have the Memphi$.
    3. 22 inch Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM): A great true smoker. Huge community. It's the convenience I worry about. The fire and intake vents are all down very low. Ash needs to be scooped or dumped out. There's also a water pan to deal with.
    4. 26 inch Weber Kettle with Slow 'N Sear XL: A great all around cooker. Huge community. I think the convenience beats the WSM. It has the one touch system for emptying ash and adjusting the bottom vents. No water pan, just the water reservoir in the Slow 'N Sear. I think I could just throw some foil on the open area of the charcoal grate to catch drippings. Since it's not over the heat it won't burn. Also, it has a nice, hinged stainless steel cooking grate. I love the stainless grates on our Memphi$ grill.

So, I think I'm down to the 22" WSM or 26" kettle with a Slow 'N Sear. $459 for the 22" WSM, $508.99 for the 26" Kettle and Slow 'N Sear puts the prices close enough it doesn't really matter. That leaves these questions to help me decide:
    • Will 3 racks of baby backs laid flat fit on the 26" kettle with the Slow 'N Sear?
    • Is the WSM going to create better food than the kettle and Slow 'N Sear?
    • Is the WSM going to be that much easier to manage temperature on than the kettle and Slow 'N Sear?
    • Is the kettle going to be more noticeably more convenient than the WSM?
    Thanks again everyone for your time and input.
    Last edited by IdahoJim; June 25, 2021, 09:09 AM.

Comment

You are right at a magic budget point. $1,000 suggests you want something good. But here is the problem. $100 or $200 more opens up more and more and more options. And is $100 really a lot considering you already have a grand set aside? This budget creep is how I went from looking at a camp chef pellet to a Rec-Tec to a Primo XL. Then of course the Primo needed a table, which I built because I did not like any of the kit options. Oh and while I was at it, why not get a fan controller? So $500 to $2000 total. But that was years ago and I never had regrets. Once it was all paid off (0% APR credit card deal, did not have to front all the money and the loan cost me nothing at all) the rest is history.

I would start with considering the fuel source. You say you want more smoke, that suggests charcoal is what you are after. Logs are a lot more work, but also an option. Next decide on the size you need. Too small is no good, but too large just uses more fuel, takes up more space, and ultimately gets used less. Then there is ease of use for you. You said something about back issues, so you don't want something you have to stoop over to use, something too heavy, or something with a lot of pre-cook setup (another reason a lob burner may not be for you). Might a table height cooker be what you want? Those exist.

So I would suggest something like The Good One Open Range. Only $150 above that magic $1000, but if the budget has flex its a good cooker that may fit all your needs.
      A charcoal grill with a smoker spliced on top. We reviewed The Good-One's popular Open Range. This cleverly designed charcoal unit uses the same concepts of an offset smoker, but it works better. The Good-One lives up to its' name and receives our Best Value AmazingRibs.com Platinum Medal.

Comment

• IdahoJim
        IdahoJim commented
        Editing a comment
        If anything, after thinking about it, I am not ready to spend $1000 on this new toy. $850 was pushing it for the Chubby. Close to $500 is a lot more comfortable.

• SmokeyGator
        SmokeyGator commented
        Editing a comment
        IdahoJim In that case, the free side has reviews that can be sorted by price range and fuel type. Still plenty of gold and platinum options at $500 and under. Pit Barrel Cooker comes to mind for the $350 range, I think it can use hooks or grates. When using the reviews, remember to click on ALL the price ranges, not just the upper limit. Click the lower ranges too. You can easily come in below that $500 budget and be very happy.

What a dlilemma. But I am sure you will figure it out.

I have many cookers (9) but my Recteq RT-700 Bull pellet cooker and my Weber 22” kettle with SnS and Vortex handle 90% of the tasks. If I were in your shoes I would get the Weber 26” with SnS. It fits nicely in that "toy" level you mentioned and can do it all. Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by IdahoJim View Post
        • Will 3 racks of baby backs laid flat fit on the 26" kettle with the Slow 'N Sear?
        • Is the WSM going to create better food than the kettle and Slow 'N Sear?
        • Is the WSM going to be that much easier to manage temperature on than the kettle and Slow 'N Sear?
        • Is the kettle going to be more noticeably more convenient than the WSM?
        Thanks again everyone for your time and input.
        1. Three racks on ribs on the 26" with the SnS: Possibly. It might require some creativity. With a rib rack, you can easily fit 5 though.

2. Again, as I mentioned, more the cook than the tool.

3. I would say both are about equal.

4. Yes, I'd agree the kettle is more convenient. Fuel restocking would be the obvious advantage, but also the hinged lid, stainless steel grates, and cleaning up ash. You can even add a DnG for easier clean-up ( https://snsgrills.com/collections/dr.../dng-cast-iron ) .

Between the WSM and a 26" Kettle with SNS, I'd favor the kettle. Plus, it'd be easier if you wanted to cook steaks or burgers.

Comment

• IdahoJim
          IdahoJim commented
          Editing a comment
          Hadn't seen the cast iron Drip 'N Griddle pan before. Interesting...

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          The SnS website has lots of clever tools so worth poking around!

While the WSCG/Summit Kamado are very versatile grills, there's no reason why you can't just use it as a Smoker (though it will make a better steak than a Memphis from my experience ). The benefits are going to be things you've pointed out. First, it's a lot higher off the ground than a WSM, so less bending over to tend the fire. Second, it's insulated. Therefore, less tending of the fire. As other's mentioned you can use a automatic temperature control system (I use a Fireboard 2 Drive and Pit Viper fan), but it will hold pretty steady temps without it. I've run 16 hours completely unattended before only about 3/4 full on fuel. Obviously, different charcoal and weather conditions will play a part in that, but I've seen people mention 18-24 hours sessions when filled all the way up. You can also get various racks to have a second rack in the Weber Kamado for capacity. I have the basic Weber shelf with the folding legs, but there's lot's of options for BGE XL and Big Joes that should work in the Weber as well.

Not sure how long a WSM or a 26" Kettle with SnS will last without refueling, but seems like I usually hear 8-12 for WSM and 6-8 for Kettle/SnS.

Finally, as for your Advantage. I had a Memphis Pro for a while. The Pro and I had differences of opinion, but overnight stability and smoke weren't what those disagreements were about. I ran several overnight or long cooks without issue on it. Was the fire pot clean before you started the cook? What temp were you cooking at? Running under 200 for extended periods on any pellet grill increases the risk of flameout.

As far as smoke levels, I'm curious what you've tried. I have found 3 things seem to make the biggest differences in smoke on a pellet grill (once you're past the grill design itself). First, the pellets. 100% Hickory from CookinPellets or Lumberjack do make a difference. Almost all other brands are 70-80% Oak or Alder and 20-30 percent Hickory. 2. Are you starting the cook at a lower temp for at least an hour or two? Like 200-225 before adjusting higher after an hour or two if desired to get food done quicker than a full time 225 cook. 3. Putting the food on really cold, like pull out of fridge, rub down quickly and throw on grill. My larger cuts are almost always under 40 degrees when I stick the probe in and turn on the Fireboard after putting them on the grill. Sometimes still on the verge of frozen on the middle.

Another thing you have less control over unless you have special powers, cook in the rain Seems smoking in the rain produces smokier tasty food. I'm lucky enough to have a covered patio, so I get the weather benefit while staying dry. I believe it's the humidity that helps, but it could be the imagination that it's better or something about less smoke on me somehow. Food always tastes smokier to me too if I take a shower while food like Brisket or a pork butt is resting.

Regardless, you're still able to get more smoke from a charcoal or stick burner than a pellet grill, there's only so much you can do to make it more. A lot of people use the Amaz-N smoke tubes to boost pellet smoke profiles though. I've never really found the need, but occasionally I do enjoy things smokier than what the pellet grills offer and I throw them on the WSCG with a couple more chunks of wood than I might normally use. Otherwise, I don't pick up that much difference between my pellet grills and the WSCG with 2-3 chunks of wood.

Anyway, there's a billion options for cookers and I hope you find the one that makes you the happiest for long smoke sessions.

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          Ever thought about trying the Heavy D device from Smoke Daddy? I mean, a great excuse for a new toy am I right?

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          STEbbq Me? No interest, I typically get enough smoke. I look at it as another seasoning, so I don’t need more. Plus I don’t know how you’d use one on the MAK with the flamezone setup. Did you see the pics of the last pork shoulders I did on the MAK? https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...75#post1041375

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, those are insanely good. Much props.

In case you want evidence that you can run a 26” kettle or pk360 overnight…
        Click image for larger version

Name:	2A8F809A-2C80-4346-8042-102A95C5FFED.jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1050833

the Masterbuilt is no slouch

Name:	FD1CE667-E2C8-4C1E-BCA6-BD57073FDB48.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1050834

and neither is the PIt Barrel

Name:	2696A70C-80B8-4C18-8871-332AB7CA8020.jpeg
Views:	193
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	1050835

Comment

Name:	04742D12-8196-40C8-A91C-AD5F4E125422.jpeg
Views:	215
Size:	310.9 KB
ID:	1050868 26” kettle with beef ribs.

Comment

20 lb packer brisket in the 26” kettle.

Name:	67B15A91-8DD3-449B-84E1-0CE5940AC739.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1050871

Comment

Deep frying on the 26” Click image for larger version

Name:	07922289-8580-441A-8B59-ABFDC7DC3A52.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	1050875

Comment

I go away for a couple of days and look what happens!?!

Ribs were meant to be hung. Hung in a no nonsense barrel.

PBC, PBC, PBC!

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	CDABD70C-0D6C-48F6-B7F2-019967CEA8C6.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.95 MB ID:	1050879 Roto on Masterbuilt gravity.
                  Last edited by Polarbear777; June 25, 2021, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Double hooked ribs on the PBC ( can easily do eight at a time if needed). Click image for larger version

Name:	4C3F12DB-AD2C-466F-9389-32400D406921.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	1050882

Comment

Name:	5026B80D-6ED7-4637-866A-EE38723EDF3B.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	1050892

Chuck roasts on the Masterbuilt for pulled beef.

yes the #14 lodge Dutch oven fits inside the mb 1050.

Name:	C7AED45F-BEA8-4413-9040-C49E72E1CDC9.jpeg
Views:	184
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	1050893

Comment

Well, analysis paralysis has definitely set it. The other day I mentioned the Weber Summit Kamado to my wife and she said "I don't want a Kamado on our patio". I told her "it's made of metal". She said "I don't want anything with the name Kamado in it". Well, that evening I get a chance to show her a picture and she changed her tune. She actually like the looks of it. She is kind of pushing me to buy that. I think (no, I know) she just wants me to make a decision and buy something.

So, 26" Weber Kettle with SnS or Weber Summit Kamado?

The kettle almost seems more fun, and obviously easier to justify the cost. It would be a toy. I worry if I get the Summit and don't use it enough or am not happy with it I will regret it.

Still not sure which is better for smoking. I'm afraid the Kamado may not give me the smoke flavor I am looking for because it burns so efficiently.

I assume the Summit Kamado will handle an overnight cook better. Fair assumption?

One more fairly big concern. My wife is 5' 2 3/4" ("don't forget the three quarters"). I've read/heard the 26" kettle lid is a bit heavy and awkward to move. My concern is that when she uses it on her own (she will), she may burn her arm removing the lid. I've read or heard of someone doing that. The Summit's hinged lid avoids that issue. Anyone with a 26er have any feedback on that? This may make my decision for me. I don't want my wife getting hurt by my new toy.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback. Sorry I keep dragging this on (I should say that to my wife...).

Comment

• jfmorris
                          jfmorris commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The lid for the 26" kettle weighs 15 pounds based on some questions and answers I found for it on a web site that sells it.

You can also buy and install a hinge for the 26" kettle if that is important to you:

Select the correct size from the Weber Kettle Grill lid size options below.

• jfmorris
                          jfmorris commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Lastly, and I should have just done a new post - how long you can run with a load of charcoal in the SNS depends on the charcoal you use. I've gone 10-12 hours using B&B lump or briquets, but stuff like Kingsford a load only lasts 7-8 hours. In kamado mode I've gone 18-20 hours easily.

• STEbbq
                          STEbbq commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I’d also vote for the 26” with SNS with the hinge especially if you are worried about the budget. There is little to prevent you from upgrading as needed.

You already have a terrific grill, so for me, that eliminates the weber 26. So now we are looking at the Chubby or the WSM or even a barrel. Your Memphis doesn't care about the weather cause it's insulated your wsm will care, especially if it's windy. There are ways to make fine bbq no matter the weather on a wsm but if your in a cold weather state, make life easy and get an insulated cooker....... So I would get the chubby and if I wanted a weber I would get the WSCG E6

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here