Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Airflow and Bark Formation on new big insulated cabinet #WhoDat1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airflow and Bark Formation on new big insulated cabinet #WhoDat1

The Fire has been lit on #WhoDat1 for 4 days straight. Brisket Brisket Everywhere! As well as ribs and chicken.

What I'm needing to learn on the most is bark formation. The cabinet has lower airflow than a stick burner as well as my WSM, so the bark formation is slower.

I did a test with one rack laying flat, another vertical in the regular up and down rack.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3642.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	101949
    The vertical rack had the better bark formation and a little more smoke on it.

Name:	IMG_3653.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	101944

I cooked 10 racks of Ribs on her Saturday, using the same rib racks as I do on the WSM. Results were tasty, but the racks on the middle of the rib rack had unset bark. Those of you who know me know that I'm all in for Mrs. Brown...So, I'll have to skip a rack. I forgot to take a good picture of the wet bark...sorry. This is an ok pic showing the less than Mrs. Brown...

Name:	IMG_3670.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	101945

We then went to Brisket...Oh Yeah!

Another buddy is planting a church in a nextdoor city, and he volunteers at a pair of schools, and he wanted to serve the teachers lunch during one of there workdays before school starts, and he really wanted to show the love...so he sprung for Brisket! We did Brisket for 60 today (5 Briskets) and are doing it again tomorrow.

Yesterday's were trimmed, oiled and given a beautiful coat of BBBR, put on at 11:30 at about 250 degrees. I wrapped the smallest one at 6:30 amin butcher paper, pulled it at about 8 am, and steadily wrapped and pulled until 10:45. One of them was a little dry, the rest were great.

Name:	IMG_3689.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	101948
    As you can see on the one on the Right, the bark is slow to crust on the center of the brisket. In the end, it firms up, cuts well and is really tasty. But the lower airflow means the bark is not as good as the other forms. I'll keep learning.

I'm going to try tuning the Briskets over at about 5 am this morning, and see how that works for us.

Here's a pic of the cut stuff today...we got terrific feedback from the guests, they loved it!

Name:	11802764_10153640638972625_1086163627941707386_o.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	101952

We didn't inject these, and they didn't seem quite as good as the 10 we did 2 weeks ago for another friend.

So, tonight we preped 6 briskets, injected with Butcher's Prime, oiled and rubbed with BBBR. Here they are about to go on the smoker about 45 minutes ago.

Name:	IMG_3709.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	101946

And in the racks...yeah!

Name:	IMG_3712.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	101951
    Oh, and I have some Beef Short Ribs on there with Oak Farms Black Ops Rub...Brisket on a Stick!

I'm thinking I'll need to try to install a convection fan inside the cooker? And, as I said, I'm going to turn them over in the morning.

This will be fun!

paul

PS, here's my chef friend and the chicken and pineapple on the stick burner Saturday. #2CookersAtATime

Name:	IMG_3652.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	101942
    Attached Files

So, you haven't been doing much cooking lately?

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      Well...

Oh, and in other good news, we put these rockin granite countertops in my kitchen last year. You've seen them behind every foodie plate picture I've ever posted. And as appliances have either become too ugly (microwave) or broke (dishwasher) we've gone from white to the pretty stainless, which also pleases ApriltheBeautiful, well...I've been purchasing multiple multiple 20 pound bags of ice a week to keep the coolers stuffed with meat cold outside for a couple months now, so

I bought a pretty new stainless inside fridge (3 door stainless, coolness all around except it costs more than the Jambo-Backyard), and the current fridge is headed to the garage as the BBQ Fridge!

Now I can cook more and even easier!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      PaulstheRibList [...considers switching from healthcare to a career in laundry...]

You are sure an ambitious and enterprising fellow. My hat's off to you.

Comment

Second 5 Brisket Lunch cook went really well!

Key difference today: We injected them with Butcher's Prime Injection.

Result: They were more tender and moist.

Here is the 1st brisket off, surrounded by Beef Short Ribs! They were on the smoke at about 260 for 7.5 hours, and I did them with Oak Farm Black Opps Rub, and they were....Great!

Name:	IMG_3718.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	102103

Next, my chef friend said I should do one of those 'Straight Outta Compton' pictures...Here you go

Name:	IMG_3729.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	102101

Yeah, we bad.

Let's back up. About 5 am, we were getting our smoking on. I see here that the middle brisket did not get the heat nor the bark from the ones on the side. I'm learning my new cooker!

Name:	IMG_3713.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	102104

We did some beans, too. Bush's baked beans, along with red and white kidney's, some sauteed onions and garlic, BBBR, SBR sauce, and 2 racks of ribs we smoked a couple days ago, resmoked a bit and pulled and put into the mix.

Name:	IMG_3727.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	102106

Oh yeah, and we had another tray of beans...that we SPILLED about 90 minutes before we were supposed to leave! A quick run to the store and we recovered nicely.

We went to probe tender, pulled and cambro'd.

Name:	IMG_3721.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	102108

The middle's of them is not as set, and the rub tends to fluff off in the middle. I put them on fat side down, and the bottom's stuck to the grate. I tried to flip some and brown both sides. I lost a lot of rub with that maneuver. I'm thinking a circulation fan is in the future.

We got the 5 off to the gig. The teachers LOVED THEM!!!! Lots of "Best Brisket Ever" comments. And they raved over the beans, though I got one comment about too much Bay Leaf taste (i put 3 in the pan). My BBQ Apprentice went to the school, cut served and visited. I'm thinking he needs some RibShack BBQ cards so he can get the phone #'s of some of the cute young teachers next time. Brisket looks good!Click image for larger version

Name:	11855793_10153645868937625_7381961852706220572_n.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	102112

The 6th Brisket was the biggest, and i put it on the lowest grate in the upper chamber, and didn't fuss with much until the main food left, which was 12.5 hours into the cook...

Then I learned that the lower grate has a lot of radiant heat from the firebox chute, and the bottom of the brisket was burnt. Oh well. The flat was dryer than you like, but it was tasty and my friends who came by to bring some Brisket home to their families all loved and raved about it.

Evidence # 623 that God knows what He's doing is that: Beef Tastes Great! Brisket #6 had that burnt bottom, but the top bark was tasty, and the point was really moist. I had these 3 friends come by and get some to take home:

Name:	IMG_3739.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	102107
    One of my bud's is trained Chef and restauranter. I saved some of the Beef Ribs for him and his wife.

Name:	Screenshot 2015-08-11 21.21.14.png
Views:	220
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	102110
    He LOVED THEM! Said it was the best food he's put in his mouth this year. And if he was in your Instagram feed, you would see all the awesome food he cooks, and all the swankie joints he eats at.

As far as his comments about my BBQ being as good as all those joints he mentioned, well I will take that flattery even that it's not accurate.

Successful day!

Still working on how to the get bark I want in the new cooker. #StraightOuttaWhoDat1
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PaulstheRibList; August 11, 2015, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Let's back up. About 5 am, we were getting our smoking on. I see here that the middle brisket did not get the heat nor the bark from the ones on the side. I'm learning my new cooker!

Yes, just as in life and in BBQ, the middle child always gets screwed. That is some fine looking Q.
      Last edited by mackdaddy; August 11, 2015, 08:44 PM. Reason: added a comment.

Comment

Great pix! Nice work!

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Meathead! #itsYourFaultiKnowHow2BBQ

• Meathead
        Meathead commented
        Editing a comment
        Best, and longest hashtag ever!

my cabinet cooker doesn't make a hard bark either, it is very moist cooking and will trade for that. and my burnt ends are a little nuggets from heaven
      Last edited by Papa Bob; August 12, 2015, 01:54 PM. Reason: cant spell

Comment

You might pull the water pan out after a while. Or skip the foil. Or try a new rub. Me Big Bad Beef Rub gets nice and crunchy.

Comment

• Papa Bob
          Papa Bob commented
          Editing a comment
          I do just salt, pepper, gran. garlic gran. onion. have been practicing for my first KCBS cook in Sacramento ca. Sept. and have a lot of different meat at the same time and liking the moist environment. Have taken out the water chamber and fired it op to full bore what a nice pizza oven I have a BX 50 so I guess it really is a water cooker?

• PaulstheRibList
          Editing a comment
          I'm a BBBR Super Fan. It's going on another thread I haven't started yet, but I've been doing the #AllPenzys rub for MemphsDust and BBBR - Love it!

I haven't tried pulling the water pans yet. I have skipped the wrap. The edges are getting quite crunchy, but that patch in the center is last to set. I'll keep experimenting until its #WhoDat1 perfect

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
        You might pull the water pan out after a while. Or skip the foil. Or try a new rub. Me Big Bad Beef Rub gets nice and crunchy.
        BINGO!!!!

Don't even add water to the pan until you get the bark you want. Keep them fat cap up.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
          Editing a comment
          Whenever you speak on the Brisket, I'm listening!

I have done them so far fat cap down on this cooker, thinking the heat is on the underside and the fat cap protects. I'm going to try the other way on the next one! (I'm cooking fat cap up on the stick burner, since the top side is the hotter one.)

On the water pan, I've become a BBQ Snob and LOVE that pretty pink ring. And with Meathead and Dr. Blonder's knowledge, that wet surface and cold meat have been my plan, and the pretty-in-pink factor has been really nice.

I'll try doing oiled and cold meat with no water pan for a while, then add the water pan, and see how my pink lady does.

Thanks, bro!!!

Great write up. Always great to see guys having some BBQ fun.

Comment

PaulstheRibList I like that guys shirt, I make my own Roux too. However, the gumbo I made Saturday was plenty thick without it.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
            Editing a comment
            Roux is so fun! I'm thinking I should try making my own roux with my big black cast iron skillet over an open fire!

• PaulstheRibList
            Editing a comment
            I'm sure your "gumbo" without a roux was good and all...but best not to speak such things outloud. lol

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here