Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Char-Griller 980

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Char-Griller 980

I just ordered the new Char-Griller 980. This is a second generation charcoal gravity feed grill/smoker so I'm thinking they've learned a lot from earlier models and from Masterbuilt so I went for it. It should arrive late next week. I'll post pics and updates then.
    Last edited by DanMancuso; April 5, 2021, 05:40 PM.

Looks like a winner to me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9800_1_STUDIO_1600x1600_SO.png?v=1614348334.png
Views:	8567
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	1013726

Comment

Ooooo eeeeee! We’ll be waitin with ya, especially the first cook. What do you have in mind by the way, fer cookin?

Comment

The 1st cook will most likely be ribs.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats on the new cooker. Looking forward to your review. I think this type of cooker is going to be more widespread in the marketplace.

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

We'll be testing this soon.

Comment

• Max Good
                  Max Good commented
                  Editing a comment
                  glitchy We're always in overdrive here. Additionally, almost all manufacturers are still having severe inventory problems.

• rpadole
                  rpadole commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Is this unit still in the queue for review six months later?

• Max Good
                  Max Good commented
                  Editing a comment
                  rpadole Haven't heard from MB for some time, but that could be because everyone is still having supply issues. They know we're interested.

If it's more reliable than the Masterbuilt, that cooker should be tons of fun. I see people talk about the MB issues and how hard it is to get support, but refuse to give up on them because they love using them so much. Hope you love this one!

Comment

• Max Good
                  Max Good commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Masterbuilt claims they are addressing the issues we and others pointed out.

Seems like almost an exact copy of the firebox and the left shelf. The only difference is the cook chamber shape. Are they owned by the same company?

If they aren't owned by the same company, it seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
                Last edited by Polarbear777; April 7, 2021, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Looks like a great cooker, looking forward to the pics and hearing your opinion.

Comment

If anyone has a recommendation for a gasket to seal the firebox and cooking chamber please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMancuso View Post
                    I just ordered the new Char-Griller 980. This is a second generation charcoal gravity feed grill/smoker so I'm thinking they've learned a lot from earlier models and from Masterbuilt so I went for it. It should arrive late next week. I'll post pics and updates then.
                    I just ordered mine from Menards this morning. It should be ready for pickup on Friday. Can't wait to try it out.

Comment

• glitchy
                      glitchy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Welcome to the talking side of the Pit! Hope you love that new grill. Be sure to share pics after you get it.

I just beat the rain getting it put together tonight. It was ready for pickup a couple days earlier than promised and my cover I ordered from Lowe's came in today also. I'll do a burn in and get it ready for a first cook this weekend. I haven't decided what I'll make yet.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I have the 560 masterbuilt and my friend has one of the 980 char grilla...this is what i can tell...both are really great cookers..that is a simple fact..
                      the masterbuilt will take 4 probes the 980 2 probes
                      both come to temp with ease
                      the cooking chamber...tough one here..i like the 560 better..
                      i do usea SS cover on my mainfold with a water /drip pan...i am sure that the 980 will have one after market soon enough
                      the 980 mainfold is heavy/easier to take on and off/porclian coated /stay cleaner/my 560 is rusty looking/will it hold up ?
                      560 is much easier to clean out/ the cooking chamber
                      fire box..i have the SS brick cover from Luke on mine...both i am sure use the same fire brick..the 980 fire brick is easy to remove and replace..as the intire chamber comes out..a lot harder on the 560/all masterbuilts..both say no metal cover is needed...i am so darn confused about that..i know all about real fire bricks...these guys are not much..i guess they will out last me
                      on the charcoal grate...the masterbuilt orginal was junk..the new one is just fine/why masterbuilt will not send the new ones out to the orginal buyers is beyond me..i have the onemade by Nathan..the 980 is good enough
                      switches...good grief /again masterbuilt claims they have made better ones on the gen 2 models/why the heck they dont send them out i just dont know...the 980 has only 2..i do wonded do i need one on the chamber door ..
                      the fire fan...this is a curious one to me...the 980 is outside the fire box...it pushes the fire/smoke into the chamber/along with
                      ash into the cooking chamber..i did not find any on the food..on this cook...just wonder...the masterbuilt is a pull through fan..one warning here ,,the wires to the fan/have melted on some pits due to this/i rotated and wraped my wires in insulation..to solve this...also with the addition to the charcoal grate by nathan and the ash grate by Luke i also i find ash in my chamber/again not on the food/i take mine apart and clean it a lot..
                      bottom line i have close to a1000 in my 560 with al the mods ive added /if i was to have the 980 i would also do things to it..alwasy do to all my pits...but on the intinal buy right now the 980 would win out..
                      be very curious to see the masterbuilt gen 2 and the char -grilla a year from now compared
                      one more item the ash bin on the masterbuilt is better/larger.,but due to the 980 fan pushing the the fire into the chamber the 980 had to be shorter and smaller

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here