Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fortified Wines: How Long to Safely Store?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Oops, I do have a Spanish sherry in with the liqueurs. Never thought about it going bad. I'll check the date. Thanks, Bkhuna .

Kathryn

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Now I'll have that song going on in my head all day long, ComfortablyNumb .

Bkhuna , I think it's just something like Taylor Dry Sherry.

K.
    Last edited by fzxdoc; November 30, 2020, 06:51 AM.

• Bkhuna
    commented on 's reply
    If you're buying sherry from Spain, it has an age statement on it. It will oxidize and get an off taste. You can't keep any type of wine indefinitely.

• 58limited
    commented on 's reply
    I knew before I clicked the link what this was going to be.

• mgaretz
    replied
    I keep port and sherry pretty indefinitely at room temp.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    PS: this will sound weird but you can freeze wine too. I'd not do it for anything I wanted to drink, but you can do it for cooking wine. But my overall rec would be to narrow down what you use to cook with - the subtleties don't matter, so.... 🤷🏼‍♂️

PPS: DO leave headroom if yo undo this. Wine is mostly water and will expand as it freezes. No headroom = shattered bottle.
    Last edited by rickgregory; November 29, 2020, 02:10 PM.

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    This is correct. If you don't use the wines often, keep them in the fridge, too. Brandy etc will be fine. Madiera is preoxidized - it can't really oxidize more. I'd toss the port and other cheap stuff though. Just start over.

Aside from refrigerating them, if you are down to about 1/2 of a bottle, decant the full bottle into a 375ml (half) bottle. Less air, less oxidation.
    Last edited by rickgregory; November 29, 2020, 01:35 PM.

• Bkhuna
    replied
    What kind of sherry do you use?

Leave a comment:

• SheilaAnn
    replied
    I once forgots I had a bottle of roses lime juice in the back of the closet for years. Found it and you could have made a horror movie from what was growing in there.

fzxdoc what the guys said above, taste it. I have similar bottles in our closet too, because it’s not like you use lots for any one dish, so they hang around a while. I always taste to make sure they are still good.

Leave a comment:

• Steve R.
    commented on 's reply
    ssandy_561, MD 20/20 should be discarded as soon as you get it home.

• Attjack
    replied
    I used a vacuum sealer and store my vermouths in the fridge. I also buy small bottles.

Leave a comment:

• HouseHomey
    replied
    Never had that problem with my Thunderbird.

Yeah, what they said. If need be, reduce it again with aromatics, herbs and home made beef stock and keep a "Mother."

I have a "Mother" lard that I use as well as some sort of "Pork Jus" thing.

Leave a comment:

• ssandy_561
    commented on 's reply
    MD 20/20 tastes awful when you first open it up. What’s it’s problem.

lol

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    Agreed, your Asti Spumante will turn to Nasty Spitupi.

• 58limited
    replied
    It is perfectly safe to taste them, nothing is going to grow in a fortified wine. The issue with older wines, especially if they have been opened, is oxidation (there is good oxidation, sherry is an example but can get bad oxidation after opening, and bad oxidation - wine tastes awful). Taste the wine, if it tastes bad, throw it out otherwise use it.

Distilled spirits such as brandy are generally good indefinitely - even if opened.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here