Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sake help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sake help?

Wife & I want to try a good sake. Not the best high dollar stuff, and not cheap trash, but good affordable stuff. Something I could find in a supermarket like Meijer. In other words, relating to bourbon: not the Jim Beam, but the Buffalo Trace or Four Roses of saki.

Any help appreciated!

I think you mean sake, Huskee -san!

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Barbara orders it in the sushi restaurant. I'm not a fan, so I can't help you, I'm afraid

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Touche, thanks. See? I don't know anything about sake, clearly.

We buy Homare brand Sake, produced by Homare Sake Brewery Co. It is sold at our sushi go-to joint and pretty sure total wine and more carries it. Along with the standard, we mostly purchase the non-filtered mango and strawberry sake. Highly recommend.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the detailed recommendation.

Yep, Humare is good, but what the heck is wrong with Jim Beam?
    Last edited by JGo37; September 9, 2020, 11:07 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Mostly just... it

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee that is just so wrong... LoL

BTW without relating the two - have you looked at what the Beam distillery makes? And,

Sake is a bit like bourbons - Rice, Plum wine & rice, Plum wine? For fish dishes I like Kubota. To be frank you shouldn't order sake with sushi - they are both rice based and the wine should contrast the sushi.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I follow whiskey, Beam-Suntory is an amazing distillery and I love lots of what they produce, I am just not a fan of the Jim Beam namesake whiskey. Too nutty for me. I HIGHLY respect Beam and what they do though. And thanks for the sake tips! That's exactly what I'm looking for.

I always get hot sake when I get sushi, that I like, but I was told by someone that good sake is consumed cold....not sure how true that is but I have just given you all I know on the topic.....sad really

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Seems like room temp or cold would be how I'd like it too. I always thought it was like a whiskey or a vodka, only recently starting peering into it and learned it's a wine.

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee Sake comes in milk cartons from soda-type vending machines in Japan. They're everywhere. It comes cold.

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Not all sake is meant to be drunk hot. I drank a lot of sake the 10 years I lived in Japan and learned that the better brands are usually drunk at room temp or chilled. That rule isn't set in stone mind you, but it is a general rule. Rotgut is always served hot.

Many brewers put a guide on the label telling you the optimum temp. for the particular brand. Of course, if your buying sake brewed in Japan, you probably can't read the label. I can't, but I know my favorite brands

Personally, I like hot sake as well, but have really just bought the $10 bottles I can find at Binny's and I've been happy.

Some more info:

Choosing the best sake is not easy. Here I’ve created a hand-picked list of hot sakes, chilled sakes, premium sakes and popular fruity varieties that will suit different palates.

Learn all about Sake, the mysterious rice-fermented beverage from Japan, with our beginner's guide and top recommendations.

Comment

Do you drink Saki warm?
      The few times I tried Saki I enjoyed it warmed up.
      I have tried Soju, made from sweet potatoes. It is hard to find.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know. I like all other spirits warm/room temp, so most likely yes. Thanks!

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        Soju (Korean), like vodka, can be made with grains or tubers.. Shochu (Japan) is also distilled from a variety of produce.

Huskee just ran across this and immediately thought of this thread. Looks to contain lots of good info.

https://kotaku.com/how-to-get-into-j...ake-1845008808

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

My "go to" for sake, room temp is:

Kurosawa Sake Junmai Kimoto

Junmai Daiginjo style is our favorite, again served warm.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I wanted real world experience like this!

This place has quite a ew different price ranges with descriptions
      We brew pure, premium saké in a variety of styles and exclusively import premium saké. Visit our tasting room or browse our online store.

This is what I use for cooking.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

Originally posted by pjlstrat View Post
      I always get hot sake when I get sushi, that I like, but I was told by someone that good sake is consumed cold....not sure how true that is but I have just given you all I know on the topic.....sad really
      Many years ago I was in Japan on a business trip and I was getting over a nasty cold. Hot sake sounded great with dinner. My host asked if I had ever tried it cold. I responded that I had not, and I insisted on hot sake. We went back and forth for a while and finally he said that if I tried one cold sake he would buy me all the hot sake I wanted that night. The cold sake was great and I have never looked back!

Comment

Sorry no help. Had to google SAKE just to find out what you were asking about.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol! Well I know very little myself other than it's pronounced socky. Or sock-ay. But I've learned a lot from the above!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here