Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Do Get Your Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rickgregory Bottle cost averaging, who would have thought? Excellent point. I spend $250.00 a month on wine. Should I consider one of those mail order??

i usually buy two bottles of wine at a time. Sophia has cut back considerably lately so I’ve spent less.

I don’t drink any more but I cooked for the Opus One people and did participate In a tasting (ok maybe a little more than a taste) and had like 8 wines. Who knew they’ve been around so long. I’m not a wine enthusiast though. THAT STUFF WAS GOOD.

other than that I but at the local grocery the regular brands. Sophia like Sterling Cab or a Syrah.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Opus One, the Holy Grail of California cabernet. I've been told that at harvest time Franciscan monks pick the grapes one at a time then take each individual grape to the Holy See for a blessing before gently crushing (more of a strong hug, actually) then integrated into golden fermentation vats. At least that's what it tastes like.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t know about all of that but it sure was delicious. The old ones were a bit more of an acquired taste I think.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      You live in LA. Go hit up Woodland Hills (https://whwc.com), Hi Time Wine (https://www.hitimewine.net), etc. Tell them what you like, what you cook, ask them to do a mixed 6 bottle set. Then go back and tell them what you liked and what you didn't next time. For Napa stuff, hit up Napa Valley Wine & Cigar (http://www.napavalleywineandcigar.com) and have them ship down.

DO NOT drink wines on rep. Is Opus One good? I suppose so... but there are a LOT of really good CA Cabs being made

HEB, our Texas grocery chain, has a large selection and you get 10% off if you buy six bottles, even if the wine is already on sale. We also have a liquor chain called Spec's that has a good selection, case prices are discounted there. I often buy pretty good wines for under $20.00. Some of the South American and Australian wines are pretty good and are not expensive at all, often $10.00 or less.

I've had $60-$100 bottles but many of the wines I've had for under $20 are just as good. Maybe aging the expensive ones will change my opinion but anything over $20 is a luxury I rarely indulge.

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Our guests seem to really enjoy the Malbecs from Argentina, and their price points are really good for the quality of the wine.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Many years ago I was in a grocery store and grabbed a bottle of Chilean Malbec off the shelf and put it in my basket. I rounded the aisle and ran into a longtime friend and grape grower. While we were visiting he noticed the contraband in my cart and, being an Italian-American, and as only an Italian-American can do, he gave me holy hell for not buying and supporting California wine!! To this day I think of that a$$ chewing every time I buy a foreign wine!
      Last edited by CaptainMike; January 19, 2020, 12:09 PM. Reason: Speeling and gramer

We have a city owned Liquor Store in our town of 3300 people. They have a very good selection. We belong to their Wine Club so we get a 10% discount on all purchases. Most of what we buy is from $10-$15 per bottle. We both prefer the Reds over the Whites.

Comment

Living in CA we have a wide choice. But on advice from my son, a restaurant owner and chef near Sonoma, he likes to find wines that cost him under $20, that he can sell for $30 that provides good value to his customers. He recommends as example wines from Portugal (for white), Spain (red and white), CA’s Santa Barbara and Paso Robles area for Pinot and GSM. He avoids the large wine producers and looks for small family owned vineyards.

I get ideas from looking at his and other wine lists in high-quality locally-owned restaurants and ask for recommendations from my small, locally owned wine shops. It’s easy to find $20 wines, but it’s more challenging to fine great wines under $20. Since some very good restaurants do a lot of research to create their list, leverage off of their work to begin your search. I’ve used Wine.com but they often take orders, then tell you they are out of stock and try to substitute or ship partial shipments. Lastly I recommend the app Vivino that lets you photograph a label in the wine store and gives you an instant rating from other customers.
      Last edited by BBQPhil; January 19, 2020, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Now I know why I drank Buffalo Trace and the like.

Comment

Total Wine.

Comment

I've got a thing for Rioja. It works out for me because I find it delicious and usually reasonably priced (<$20). Every once in a while Costco has some. Total Wine has some but I get annoyed with their labeling gimmicks so don't like to shop there. There are a couple of decent wine shops around but they have limited options. Feels like a bit of a wine desert to me.

I should add that I have splurged at times for some pretty expensive Riojas and they never seem as good as the regulars. Now when I find a good cheap one, I buy two and stash one for a long time in the hopes it turns in to a sort of Gran Reserva.

Maybe I should try online at some of the shops recommended in this thread.
            Last edited by Arsenlael; January 19, 2020, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Most often Costco or one of the local wineries (Temecula, CA).

Comment

• surfdog
                surfdog commented
                Editing a comment
                Some very decent wines available in Temecula.
                Definitely worth exploring.

• surfdog
                surfdog commented
                Editing a comment
                One of our latest "memberships" is to Oak Mountain Winery in Temecula.
                Worth a visit...and they have some great food available as well.

Sorry to dig up the thread, but try lastbottle.com. let me know if you want to order and I'll send you a referral code (hook me up man!).

Comment

• BBQPhil
                BBQPhil commented
                Editing a comment
                Lastbottle.com is great. A new deal each day.

We have a couple of wine clubs we're members of. One of which is a family operation where she is a Cordon bleu chef and he has a gigantic offset smoker. When we go pick up wines the food is amazing and complimentary. We also buy from the Grocery Outlet store, I used to buy from Trader Joes but don't often go there for anything anymore. We also buy from the nicer market nearby. Today my girlfriend bought 2 boxed wined from there.

Comment

I’m not a big wine drinker but I usually get mine from Trader Joe’s or a small local restaurant that finds really good inexpensive ($10-$12) wines before they become popular.

Comment

I buy from local shops around the area. Here in NY we cannot sell wine/liquor at supermarkets, they have to be their own standalone store. As for pricing, when you buy a wine $75-$100 plus per bottle, what you are usually paying for is ageworthyness (if that's a word). Most of the wines at this price point are not even ready to be drunk upon release and they need 5-10 years to mature. That being said, there are deals and good wines to be had at nearly any price point. I find the real values & sleepers fall into the $20-$30 range where you can find gems that drink like $100 bottles if you do your research and taste new/different wines and get out of your comfort zone.

Comment

Reckon this is a trick question, since I don't never buy no wine? Mebbe, once in a Blue Moon, I'll pick some up, to be used fer cookin certain receipts. Otherwise, not so much.

Comment

I posted earlier, but reading through this again, I need to really explore the local wineries here in Albuquerque. There are probably 4 small wineries within 30 minutes of my house That I haven’t explored. Need to do that and try some new stuff.

Comment

We drink a fair amount of wine. Costcos $7.99 2 liter bottle is an every day staple. Having said that, we live in Eastern WA, and very fine wines are made practically in our back yard. We do upon proper occasions take it up a notch, or three…

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here