Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Do Get Your Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get my wine from two divorces.....

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      No divorce for me. I'll keep my whine.

Total Wine, Trader’s, grocery. I get mail order Justin and Chronic Cellars. I almost always ask the wine person what they are loving right now. It always opens my mind to new things. And I do a quarterly tasting on wines from Baja and Valle Guadalupe for my friends shop.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah, gotta love Total Wine! I get several reds shipped to me regularly...but sometimes I might want something like a Malbec or maybe a white...
      Total Wine here I come! LOL

Got back to SoCal the other day...went to pick up a champagne... Thought I made it out for under a hundred...but no, $102. Doh! I’m like a kid in a candy store.

And the clerks ALWAYS ask, "Did you find everything ok?"
      Seriously? I came in for one freaking thing and I’m leaving with a hundred dollar box!

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      surfdog preach! What did you get?

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      SheilaAnn Went in to get A bottle of sparkling wine. Ended up with two...and tequila, olive juice for the GF (bleh), and a bottle of Old Crow bourbon...’cause it’s in a plastic bottle and the airlines haven’t managed to destroy one yet. LOL

I honestly don’t think that I’ve EVER left there with just one item.

I tend to buy mostly from local stores. Like you I think you can get a very good bottle of wine for about $20 (Kansas has some significant EtOH taxes). I am lucky as I know a chef in town and he gives me some great recommendations for wine in this price range. I also have some friends who order from all over they will occasionally run across a great deal and tell me. I have a couple of $50-100 bottles, but, largely my palate isn't that discreet. I tend to drink what I like and both my wife and I prefer reds.

Interesting thread!

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Regardless of price...one MUST enjoy the wine. That’s first. Always.
      If a sub$10-15 bottle does it for you. (Like my mother.) There’s no reason to go nuts IMO...and one might just as well be disappointed with one of those costing triple or more. (Again, like my mother. LOL)

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      surfdog some of the best wine I have ever had were really inexpensive bottles that I found at little "mom and pop" wineries in Italy that we found while traveling. I'm with you, "drink what you like" is probably the most important rule for sure.

A chef and wine enthusiast friend of mine won't serve wines that cost (retail) more than about $17 per bottle. Most of what he does serve originates from Portugal, Spain, Argentina, Chile, South Africa, New Zealand, Croatia, and similar less known, less fashionable, and therefore less expensive wine regions from which to purchase here in the US. He absolutely refuses to serve French and/or California wines (not sure I agree entirely with him here) because, while the wine is usually good, there is apparently a huge premium to be paid for "fancy, artsy-fartsy labels" (his words). In general, I tend to follow his advice ... with the particular exception of a few really good California zinfandels.
    Last edited by MBMorgan; June 6, 2021, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Them’s fightin’ words! LOL
      There ARE some great California wines...and occasionally some can be found for under $17. Though finding them OUTSIDE of California for that price might indeed be problematic.

From a wine shelf.

Comment

I live in Washington State, the second largest wine producer in the USA but still just a fraction of what California produces. I belong to over a dozen Washington Wine Clubs so rarely purchase retail unless I am traveling. I used to belong to a few California Wineries but only belong to one now and may cancel it.

While California makes great wine, Washington is catching up and, in my opinion, the pricing is more reasonable for comparable quality.

A few of my favorites; Leonetti, DeLille Cellars, Fidelitas, Long Shadows, Betz, and Avennia. The other clubs I belong to are nearly as good as those. There are hundreds more to try but hard to find time when tastings are included with memberships and visits to Woodinville and Walla Walla are usually spent at Club events.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Washington wines are awesome!

I think there are diminishing marginal returns after you hit the $25-30 mark. I'd pay that much for low sugar/organic wines that don't have sulfites or other additives. E.g. paleo friendly offerings from places like Dry Farm Wines. If you're talking the stuff you can get in a big box store like Total Wine, then there are tons of great options for under $20.

Comment

We buy Groupons for Wine Insiders or Splash Wines.

Usually a very nice selection of 15 to 18 wines for about $75 bucks shipped.

Comment

I think from my dad's side of the family. He was an only child.

Comment

I am a, by your standard, wine snob.

Binny's... it's a giant liquor store. But we also stock up when we travel to a growing region. I brought three bottles home from Italy, 13 home from Sonoma and Napa... twice. I have a case shipper that I can bring on a plane.

The midwest is not a great growing region, much as the vintners here maintain they are (you can taste the fruit, or not, and know, in the wine). But Chicago is a great import area.

We will buy from smaller wine shops and liquor stores. We pick up a random bottle of <$20 wine for giggles at Target, Costco or the grocery. I used to get through an online lottery type of sale, but they stopped shipping to Illinois, and then it got hard. It's actually a pain to ship liquor to Illinois. Smaller winery wine clubs won't bother.

Comment

I don’t have to go far. Normally my local 7-11 has adequate supplies of Boone’s Farm. However, I must admit, they’re frequently out of Strawberry Hill.
              Last edited by Panhead John; June 17, 2021, 08:45 AM.

Comment

• Willy
                Willy commented
                Editing a comment
                I hope they have Ripple!

• tmelosi
                tmelosi commented
                Editing a comment
                What, no Mad dog 20/20?

Mostly Costco or Binny's for me. Our kids have purchased wine online from Cameron Hughes ( CHwine.com ) and its been quite good. Not sure the price range they were buying in though.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                I sometimes feel a little guilty buying At Binny’s, because they are so huge, but they do have nearly anything I want.

• Murdy
                Murdy commented
                Editing a comment
                Potkettleblack At the start of the pandemic, we were laying pretty low, and I made a foray to Binny's to stock up for a while. Ended up spending so much I got a fraud alert from Discover on the way home.

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Roughly same...

Take a look at Cameron Hughes ( https://chwine.com/ ). Decent wines at good prices.

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                Damn Big Al! Where ya been bro?

• SheilaAnn
                SheilaAnn commented
                Editing a comment
                Cameron Hughes #141 for me, thank you very much! Can’t remember the last time I had it…. Need to revisit CH again!

Costco, Total Wine, online via Vivino. I've also order directly from wine shops in the northeast using Wine.com or WineSearcher.

Comment

• Finster
                Finster commented
                Editing a comment
                I thought Total Wine was a local thing. Didn't realize it was in other parts of the country. The one near me is the size of a large super market...and then some

• WayneT
                WayneT commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep, TW is a national chain and BevMo is a west coast wine store I think.

http://Wineinsiders.com. nice selection from non mainstream wineries. Free shipping on 6 bottles.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here