Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Corks or Screw Tops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poll: Corks or Screw Tops?

Remember the old joke about someone sniffing a wine bottle screw top and saying"Aaahh, Tuesday". Well, I'm here to say that I have come to despise corks and love screw tops. I actually give weight to purchasing a new (to me) wine based on it having a screw top. In New Zealand and Australia, both big wine producers, screw tops are ubiquitous. Also, I understand that screw tops are far superior when it comes to being an effective seal.

Now, maybe a $3,000 bottle of Chateau St. Pomposity obtains some incremental benefits from cork, but I'll never get to try a bottle like that and I suspect that, if there is a difference, my taste buds aren't good enough to tell corked vs screwed anyway.

Your thoughts?

EDIT add-on. My preference is due to the ease of opening with a screw top AND I don't believe it affects quality. Corks, OTOH, do fail all too often. That said, I won't buy a wine I dislike just to have a screw top. I mean, I may be dumb, but I am slow...
    I love screw tops, corks are a pain
    32.56%
    Corks only; don't mess with tradition
    16.28%
    I don't care either way gimme a beer
    46.51%
    I like boxed wine, it eliminates oxidation, too.
    4.65%
    Last edited by Willy; November 8, 2018, 03:39 PM.

What, no love for box wine? :P

Trader Joe's 3 buck Chuck has a synthetic cork IIRC. The closest one to me is down in Naples so I don't get there very often.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Fixed

Screw tops are no longer a sign of an inferior wine. They seal well, they'll never "cork" the wine, and you can store the bottles upright rather than on their sides. That said, there's still something cool about knowing how to use a waiter's friend to remove a cork in such a way that you're not chewing on bits of it with every sip.
    Last edited by MBMorgan; November 8, 2018, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, I just got a $25 bottle of wine the other day that was corked. Usually have to pour and sniff to detect it, but I smelled it when I opened it, GAG!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea I agree, even the French are producing screw tops wines. Most of the wines I buy are in the +-$20-25/bottle range. At that price, in the Cabs that is, I don't see anything but corked. Have bought some cheaper wine for cooking that's screw topped, I like it because it's easier to store and deal with.

Whatever keeps it in the bottle is fine by me. I do enjoy the sound of the cork coming out of the bottle, though.

Comment

1st I screwed up on the vote. I hit corks only. Should have been don't care. As far as the after opened and the oxidation ruining the wine is a non-factor for me. When opened fair chance it's finished. If not, red or white well sealed in the fridge. It's gone the next day. I have been a fan of T.J's and Whole Foods answer. I've said before and I'll say it again. I'm cheap. For under $20 and more like $15 you can get a nice wine. Recently I have purchased box wines. I like the convenience, and you can't beat the price for 4 bottles of wine.

If you are into wine and like a good value check out Wine Insiders http://wineinsiders.com. Been a regular there for a few years. Great value good wines. No clubs and I've never paid for shipping which is next day. I order now, FedEx will have here in 24 hours

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Splash Wines is good too. Same kinds of qualities.

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        You didn't screw up - there isn't an 'I don't care'. The either way ain't - it's gimme beer instead.

I vote for screw tops as I only drink beer, and the wife won't finish even a small bottle of wine in an evening. While I re-cork the wine for her, you have oxidation and storage issues that don't occur with screw tops. Most of what I buy for her is stuff like Reisling, Zifandel, etc, and its a crap shoot as to whether it comes corked or with a screw top.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack we have some shelves that tend to be too close together for upright wine bottles in the fridge, and another advantage of screw tops is being able to store the bottle on its side and not worry about the cork leaking.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess she only likes whites? A wine preserver would surely solve the storage issue. It will also allow you to store open wine for MUCH longer. But if you aren't unhappy don't fix it!

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        A cheaper model: https://www.amazon.com/Vremi-Wine-Pr...wine+preserver

I can go either way. But for some of the dry reds that age well, I'll take a cork to allow those trace amount of oxygen in as part of the aging process.

Comment

I didn't see "To heck with any of them, give me a beer". That would be my vote.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          burp

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          fixed

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Kind of fixed... I love wine but don't much care if it's cork or twist. But I lean cork!

I love polls. Someone should make a poll asking who likes voting on polls.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          In the infamous words of FireMan : "They're all rigged"!

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I would vote in the poll.

Sorry I'm still not there on BOX wine yet. Of course my theory on beer applies to wine as well, after the first 2 or 3 who cares, right !!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Zackly, Brother!

I just like good wine. But since you brought it up, I find that I gravitate more to canned craft beers more than bottled....actually i prefer canned beer (craft, PBR, you name it).....

Comment

I buy the wine for taste, not how it's sealed. BUT I prefer screw top bottles.

Comment

If you asked several years ago myvote would have been corked only. Rather than ahhh, Tuesday it was more like "vintage 3:00". For older red wines, the ones I mosttly drink, i would still prefer corked but for every day table wines or whites it doesn’t make much difference.

Of course, you guys will be awful hard on companies like Coravin if you vote for screw tops. I’ve always had a nitrogen based wine saver, but that works even on a screw top.

Best regards,
            Jim

Comment

I prefer corks because I'm old school but chose I don't care because twist off is fine too. But the best are synthetic corks because they can't go bad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vinova_synthetic_wine_closure.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	590127

Comment

• Willy
                Willy commented
                Editing a comment
                My objection to corks--"real" or synthetic" is that you need a corkscrew. Screw tops are are much easier and not dependent on another tool. ;«)

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                Screw tops are convenient but I am an accessory loving guy. You could also open a wine bottle with a shoe if you are desperate.

I voted for my wife since I rarely drink wine, but she likes the box stuff. And she drinks enough that sometimes she ok's my purchases Me personally I prefer a cork, not so much for taste but the same reason I prefer a physical copy book or movie... it just feels right While I do occasionally drink a wine with a screw top or read an e-book or stream a movie, I'm happier when I do it the "old school" way. Also, champagne MUST be a cork. I don't like the stuff to begin with, and without the POP! there's no point.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here