Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mulled wine recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mulled wine recipe?

Holidays coming up... I had this at a Middle-Eastern restaurant once and LOVED it - and I am NOT a wine drinker, at ALL.

Thought I'd give it a shot at home. Would love some ideas if you guys have any, beyond a basic Google search. Also, what kind of wine do/would you use? I've read in the past you don't use expensive wine for this, but I don't think I want to go with the cheap-arse boxed version, do I?

Let me mull over this.

Comment

Originally posted by tRidiot View Post
      I've read in the past you don't use expensive wine for this, but I don't think I want to go with the cheap-arse boxed version, do I?
      I wouldn't be too quick to write off box wines. There are actually a growing number of decent ones out there ... and I can tell you from experience that a good box wine is infinitely better than a bad bottled wine.

I've been experimenting with a few box wines lately and Bota Box is currently my favorite "beverage" quality wine brand.

Here's a link to some reviews: http://www.winespectator.com/webfeat...-Score-Reviews

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        That very well may be so. Like I said, I'm not a wine guy... if single malt came in boxes, I'd be skeptical, too. lol

Only boxed wine experience I have is that Franzia stuff in college - which is marginally better than Thunderbird half-gallon bottles. lol

Originally posted by tRidiot View Post
      Holidays coming up... I had this at a Middle-Eastern restaurant once and LOVED it - and I am NOT a wine drinker, at ALL.

Thought I'd give it a shot at home. Would love some ideas if you guys have any, beyond a basic Google search. Also, what kind of wine do/would you use? I've read in the past you don't use expensive wine for this, but I don't think I want to go with the cheap-arse boxed version, do I?
      What, mulled wine?? You are banished to the "pit of misery"..... Dilly Dilly.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Bud Light is truly the pit of misery... dilly dilly.

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        How true..Bud is terrible.

I wouldn't mull a quality bottle of wine. You're heating it and spicing it and maybe even diluting or adulterating it with other alcohol. That kind of demands a value wine.

Bota Box is right up the alley for this. I use it for all my cooking, when it's on sale. You want something drinkable on it's own, but not something fancy.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        This was my thought - not cheap NASTY stuff, but certainly ain't gonna do it to expensive stuff. Life's too short to drink nasty wine.

Originally posted by TripleB View Post

What, mulled wine?? You are banished to the "pit of misery"..... Dilly Dilly.
      What's wrong with mulled wine? I mean... I don't LIKE wine, normally. Very few wines have I found where I even enjoy a full glass, much less anything more. Really, only $100/bottle stuff I had at a castle in Ireland, and the stuff I drank in Italy. Not much else worth drinking, in my opinion, as far as wine goes.

But, I had some mulled wine and actually enjoyed it, could drink a few glasses of that. So... I decided to give it a try. Now, if one wants to adulterate good single malt, then I'll take issue with it. But wine... wine ain't no special product or protected class.

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Never tried mulled wine. I'm sure it's fine. The pit of misery and Dilly Dilly is from a bud light commercial. Just poking fun....

Have you tried Meathead’s Glögg recipe? I just made some last night and it’s killer.

Does anyone know if the linked label can be edited?

Comment

Here is my recipe, it is similar to German Gluwein:

Colonial Wassail

1 - 750ml bottle inexpensive Merlot such as YellowTail
        2 cups Cranberry Juice Cocktail
        3/4 cup sugar
        1/4 cup lemon juice
        2 cinnamon sticks

Optional: Spike with 1/2 cup or more of Brandy when it is done.

Combine everything in a crock pot or pot on the stove (cover or you will loose the alcohol) and heat to desired temp - go slow so the cinnamon can infuse. I always make a double batch if more than two-three people are drinking it.

Comment

DogFaced PonySoldier I'll preface th followin, slightly tangential idea with th fact that I jus ain't a big wine guy. At. All.

That bein said, one of th Holiday Traditions I have glommed onto, many years ago, an continue to this very day, is procurin / mullin some Chaucer's Mead fer myself, an loved ones...

It comes with lil some spice packets, to do jus that

Purty tasty stuff, might try it out...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here