Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any winos on here??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any winos on here??

I am doing both a baked ham and prime rib for Christmas dinner (indoors sadly ). Is there ONE perfect wine I could serve for both?

Boone's Farm? Just kidding, I have been trying tons of wines lately to see which ones I like, but don't have a clue how to pair them.

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't, I didn't even know which kinds I liked. After trying every kind I could the guy at the liquor store asked if I liked scotch, I said yes and he gave me a Cabernet, that's what I have been drinking since.

• ontheranch
      ontheranch commented
      Editing a comment
      rofl

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Boones Farm sangria is not bad. Definitely the right price.
      Last edited by HC in SC; December 21, 2014, 09:43 AM.

Wow, and I thought I had problems trying to choose which plastic cup to drink my water from.

Comment

• ontheranch
      ontheranch commented
      Editing a comment
      Red Solo Cup right??

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      If it is in the dish washer. If not, no thanks.

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope your water has hops and barley in it.

Best rule of thumb in that situation is to drink what you like. If you like robust reds, I'd suggest trying Dry Creek Heritage Zinfandel. It's a great bang for the buck. I find it for less than $15 around here: http://store.drycreekvineyard.com/20...ines_Zinfandel

Comment

With cured ham, which tends to be salty, I prefer something with 2-3% RS, like a German Kabinett or French Vouvray, gewurz, or even most rose's. My wife's family are not sophisticated winos but the love it, so I often serve Asti with salty ham. It works surprisingly well. For prime rib, solid red, Bordeaux, cab, merlot, zin, even a big pinot. In my house, I'd put a bottle of red, bottle of white, and play Billy Joel on Pandora. But if I can only serve one, I'd consider a lighter pinot, perhaps a Santenay, but the good ones ain't cheap. Even a big Beaujolais, Morgon or Moulin-a-Vent might cross the streams.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Reading your comment here reminds me I once read you were a professional wine critic before you started AR. I really appreciate a fine wine with special meals. I mostly lean to Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay.

However... I do keep a case of 2 Buck Chuck around too. If I want a glass of wine with some left over steak for lunch and I don't get back to that bottle before it goes bad, no great loss.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        I prefer wines that come in a screw cap bottle...

• Tim
        Tim commented
        Editing a comment
        Just stumbled onto this wine thread; I'm sorry I'm late to the party. Love to get a wine&BBQ thread going. Obviously Meathead has mad chops! I love talking wine. What's the best way to get something going? Thanks!

(and I am 100% with the Kabinett move on the salty ham)

Two different animals ham /beef I like a Syrah or cab with a well seasoned rib roast I agree with a big white or a dry rose for ham. Pinot is good for rib but must be good and a decent at least 5 yr old Pinot will run in the 35 to 50 $range they are very fussy wines and can be somewhat pricey but delicious if well made. Tons of options in the wine world try Spanish, South African ,south American. Don't be afraid to experiment just enjoy I always decant red wines for1hr will improve most wines a lot!

Comment

• ontheranch
        ontheranch commented
        Editing a comment
        thx Dennis My pinot is not that old so think I'll use a cabernet. Thanks for the info

David, I DO like zinfandel but have none on hand and nearest store with any wine selection is 45 miles away. Craig, I didn't understand a thing you said. I, too, may like a 2-3% RS if I knew what the heck it was. I don't like Billy Joel and I don't know who/what Pandora is. Can I still be a member?? My fault for not listing what I have access to: cab, neptune's trident, petite sirah, rose, sauvignon blanc, pinot noir, dornfelder, merlot. Will one of these work? If not, think I can get Gallo Sangria at a nearby convenience store. lol I will learn...just don't give me the whole sermon at once ok?

Comment

OTR I'm not familiar with those. But best advice is to go with what you like. Pairing is second to palate.

Comment

Thanks David...think I'll go with the rose for ham and the cabernet for beef. Tried the link for Zinfandel and would you believe they are sold out! Will get it another time. Thanks for the info

Comment

Sounds good OTR. If u really want to try the Dry Creek you can probably find it online or local. It's a high distribution wine.

Comment

OTR I personally find 'wine pairing' to be beyond my skills and beyond my interest. I have never cared to learn it. I like certain types of reds and regardless of what's on the plate. I like those same certain reds whether I'm snacking on cheese & crackers or a ribeye and garlic bread. What I like is Cabernet Sauv, Zinfandel, some blends and some merlots. But even brand to brand, area to area, a cabernet for instance can be wildly different.

My suggestion is if you're not of the 'sophisticated palate' that Meathead is, then do like Dave says. If you know what you or your guests like, chances are they'll like it with whatever you serve for dinner. At least that's how my simple mind works so it's what I shoot for, lol.

Comment

• ontheranch
                ontheranch commented
                Editing a comment
                Excellent advice, Huskee. You and David are right on. I will serve what I like in Red Solo cups.

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                So, what happens is this... you drink what you like and you're good for a long time. And then you get a good wine pairing somewhere along the line, from a knowledgeable friend or a good somm, and then, you're ruined forever.

Translation in []: " With cured ham, which tends to be salty, I prefer something with 2-3% RS [residual sweetness, a measurement of sugar in the wine, slightly sweet], like a German Kabinett or French Vouvray, gewurz, or even most rose's. My wife's family are not sophisticated winos but they love it, so I often serve Asti with salty ham. It works surprisingly well. For prime rib, solid red, Bordeaux, cab, merlot, zin, even a big pinot [noir]. In my house, I'd put a bottle of red, bottle of white, and play Billy Joel [he that's a lyric from Billy Joel's "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant"] on Pandora [an internet radio station that is very popular]. But if I can only serve one, I'd consider a lighter pinot [noir], perhaps a Santenay, but the good ones ain't cheap. Even a big Beaujolais, Morgon or Moulin-a-Vent might cross the streams.

I would serve the rose with the ham and pick your choice of reds for the beef, or just rock it [semi-hip talk from a decidedly unhip oltimer] with the pino noir.

Comment

• smarkley
                smarkley commented
                Editing a comment
                wow... your wine knowledge is vast! I forget you used to write a column, and you really are an expert.

ahhh... to have such a sophisticated palate would be awesome. I have a redneck palate, in comparison.

Yeah, in a previous life I was the wine critic for the Washington Post, Chicago Trib, AOL, and published a wine magazine. I switched to solid fuel in 2000, but as you can see, I have never lost my ability to sound like a snob. That's one of the reason I switched. BBQ is (was?) less snobby.

Comment

• ontheranch
                ontheranch commented
                Editing a comment
                do I chill the rose?

• Meathead
                Meathead commented
                Editing a comment
                Usually.

I'm extremely partial to Baron Rothschild Mouton Cadet red. Order it by the case, goes well with food -- any food. Just a good red table wine. Did I mention that it's very affordable? Paid $115 for the case picked up last week.

Comment

• ontheranch
                ontheranch commented
                Editing a comment
                thanks for the info!

I am stupendously lucky to be within a few hours drive of some very good boutique wineries, some with such small production that they only sell at the winery itself. Of course I can also get to the really big guns in Napa, but that area has become much more touristy and expensive in the last few years. I have had some fabulous and expensive Cabernet Sauvignon's on rare occasions, but around here I can get some really great Cab's that fit my budget a bit easier. It is tough to have expensive tastes and a near empty wallet, but I manage!

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                My favorite two Napa Cabs are: Textbook and Castella DeAmorosa (sp?) CDA's Sangiovese is great too.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here