Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Favorite Everyday Wines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a buddy who would take a sip of wine and say: "Ah, fruity, yet gangrenous."

Comment

Originally posted by Bumper View Post
      Australia is lucky, we have some great wines at reasonable prices. If you are looking in this direction, happy to recommend some. There are a number of wineries here exporting to the US now.
      You folks do indeed produce some excellent wines. One of my favorite Aussie brands is Penfolds. I'm particularly fond of their Bin 389 Cab Shiraz (in fact I've still got a couple of 1996 bottles in the wine cooler). Bin 28 Shiraz and Bin 407 Cab can be mighty fine, too! (notice that I didn't mention Penfolds Grange ... but only because its price point puts it WAY out of the "everyday wine" category)
      Last edited by MBMorgan; December 20, 2016, 06:01 PM.

Comment

I must be the only cheap one in the bunch of ya. By everyday wine, I'm assuming you are talking about something that you drink everyday or close to it. I'm too cheap to spend 15 bucks a day on wine, so I buy Black Box or Botta Box (cab and merlot mainly) that equate to about $5 per bottle. It also keeps for several weeks once opened. Great for everyday drinking and also makes a very nice pan sauce. I also participate in a wine club that sends 12 bottles (all reds) at a time and they equate to $11.00 per bottle if shipping and handling is included in the price. Those are my "special occasion" wines, but you also have to consider that to me sometimes a special occasion is a nice juicy steak or even just a Friday evening If you want a good cheap sweeter wine, Walmart carries a (Oak Leaf) mascato that is very nice for $3.00 per bottle. I buy 5 or 6 of these at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mbmorgan View Post

You folks do indeed produce some excellent wines. On of my favorite Aussie brands is Penfolds. I'm particularly fond of their Bin 389 Cab Shiraz (in fact I've still got a couple of 1996 bottles in the wine cooler). Bin 28 Shiraz and Bin 407 Cab can be mighty fine, too! (notice that I didn't mention Penfolds Grange ... but only because its price point puts it WAY out of the "everyday wine" category)
          You can't go wrong with a bottle of Penfolds, even their entry level Koonunga Hill is good mid week fare. Grange for me, having tried a couple, is great but not worth the money, particularly when you can buy half a dozen stellar wines for the price.

I would love to try a 1996 389 - guessing that would be drinking particularly well now! I can be there in around 24 hours, what's for dinner They call it the poor man's grange. I prefer to think of it as the smart man's grange for the money.

Everyone has their own price point for their a daily tipple. Here you can get $20 wines that punch well above wines in the $50-$100 bracket if you do your research. If you like Penfolds, see if you can track down wines from Heathcote region - they make big bold shiraz. A good one is Tatiarra, such as their culled barrel shiraz they are brilliant value.

Comment

FYI - recieved this in an email today. For what it's worth: http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshow...L_TopTen122016

Comment

Sierraslick Funny thing about Silver Oak. Their Alexander Valley Cab was always my preferred wine of the two they make until just a few years ago. It wasn't the price, since they are both pretty pricey, but I always had a soft spot for cabs from the Alexander Valley. We have been to both the Silver Oak facilities many times, and have attended lots of release parties. Always fun, and always left me temporarily broke! When you visit, you get a nice Silver Oak glass to take home. I have a closet full, some still wrapped, and I have given away quite a few. And, I still have a bottle of 1986 Alexander Valley signed by Justin Meyer, the founder, winemaker, and a Christian Brothers Monk. Sadly, he passed away many years ago.

Comment

• Sierraslick
                Sierraslick commented
                Editing a comment
                We have a cabin up towards Bear Valley and often enjoy those big, bold fruity Zins that they have around Murphy's. Chathom Vineyards, Hatcher and a few others up there make good affordable ones. Chathom also makes a Sangiovese that is very nice.

This is my first time writing and I'm a new member...This is an interesting thread. I have a fairly large wine cellar and have enjoyed wine for years. My wife and I are also KCBS master BBQ judges. So after judging, many opt for ice cream. Not us, nothing like a good acidic sauvignon blanc to cut the fat. For everyday wines I seek out, like some of the others wines that taste better than their price. For me anything made by Castle Rock fits the bill. They make wines sourced from juices in Sonoma, Napa and the Willamette, to name a few. IMO, some of the best wine for the buck. Another recommendation is 14 Hands from Washington state. If you are lucky to have a Total Wine store in your area, you can get their Cab Sav for $7.97. Another value wine that I like is Leese-Fitch and recommend everything but their Chardonnay. For big value reds, I like blended wines. A good example and this now is a cult wine is "The Prisoner." It's about $40.00 but tastes like a $100.00 cab. Also I find if you like drinking big drinking cabs with a great piece of beef that you grilled and don't want to pay bust out retail, look at Zinfandel's. Pay dirt is a great one for $20.00 and if you are feeling rich try the Trespass at $60.00. To me, to truly understand value you have to taste a lot of wine. Fortunately for me that has been a life long pursuit! I hope this helps and if anybody has a wine question let me know. Thanks!

Comment

• richinlbrg
                richinlbrg commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome, @bak101 ! Agree with you on the 14 hands and Prisoner! But if I am going to pay in the $40 range, I'll also look at Belle Glos, a bold Pinot Noir that goes well with a grilled steak.

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Seconding the recommendation of Zin. Almost any Dry Creek AVA Zin is a value in terms of delivery.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Can't believe I missed this. Thanks for your expertise bak01!

I'm from Washington State (east side) so we have lots of REALLY good wines. For your price range the Columbia Crest and Chateau St. Michelle are very consistent and reasonably priced. 14 Hands would fit into that list too. To step up a bit my favorites in our area are Fidelitas, (across the board on reds), Goose Ridge, Anelare and Alexandria Nicole. Look for Red Mountain. Walla Walla has a slew of great wines. Too many to list. Look for that region and enjoy!

Comment

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
              -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Atalanta
                Atalanta commented
                Editing a comment
                I always thought that quote was "beer," but I see you are correct:

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy!”

• Craigar
                Craigar commented
                Editing a comment
                Beer works for me too! And whiskey. Sometimes gin. 😎

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                Saw a billboard yesterday with pizza as the proof.

We have a pretty eclectic wine cellar living here in NorCal. But for a really good everyday red, try the Bogle "Essential Red". It's a blend of Old Vine Zinfandel, Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Petite Sirah -- full retail is $11, but available for less. And if you want to impress your snotty friends, say it's from a boutique winery called Bo Glay...

Comment

• Willy
                Willy commented
                Editing a comment
                I think they sell Bo Glay at Tar Zhay. ;«)

Coincidentally, I picked up a couple bottles of the wine yesterday in Costco/.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here