Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Favorite Everyday Wines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I definitely have champagne tastes on a PBR budget when it comes to wine. I like to splurge occasionally, but the wife has an uncanny knack for finding some pretty good wine at a local discount food store. Being North Californios, with have ample access to really good wine and these stores often have discontinued lines, or wine, that for whatever reason, did not pass the muster of the winemaker. These stores get them in case lots and sell for $4-$15 a bottle. She looks for wines from Napa, Sonoma, Mendocino (hometown), or Sacramento foothills. Tapered bottles are also a good indicator as they are a little more expensive and one might deduce that the wine should be a little better. But, red blends, cabs, and zins are my poison of preference. And Bullit Bourbon.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I love Bulleit Rye for Manhattans and Old Fashioneds!

I like and keep a small inventory of better California Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Chardonnay for when I cook, grill or BBQ something special. For everyday wine though I keep a case of Charles Shaw's Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon on hand. It was originally known as $2 buck chuck. It sold for $1.99 per bottle. Now it's $2.50 buck chuck.

If you open a bottle for lunch and don't finish it and it goes bad you don't feel bad dumping it out. Plus... it tastes ok, not special, but it has the same amount of alcohol as an expensive wine has.😎

Comment

I like Coppola Claret a lot for a wine to have "every day". Can get it at Costco for $12-13 a bottle.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee I tend to prefer my Cab's to be very Bordeaux, Old World styled. I do not like the Napa trend to jammy, fruity, over the top amounts of alcohol.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Left bank for this guy. Bold, tannic, non fruity.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I knew I liked you

Some of my favorite "every day" (for me this means $8-17ish) wines are:
      Zinfandels: Cline Ancient Vines, St Francis, Rodney Strong
      Cabernet Sauvignon: Bonterra, Woodbridge, Dark Horse, Coppola Claret (not technically a cabernet but a blend), And Beringer Founder's Estate (although due to sourcing this varies year to year in goodness, this year their Smooth Red Blend is better I think)
      Petite Sirah: Petite Petit, Treasure Hunter

If I can splurge a little and get something $25-40, some cabs I love are: Hailstone Impact, Charles Krug, Sbragia, and Textbook. Had Desert Wind cabernet once with some guy named Dave and it was incredible too. It makes the list although I can't find it near me.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree 100% with the St Francis!

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee, perfect blend of soil, climate, and winemaking skill. Funny, I once chatted with a grape grower that had the Napa/Lake county line split his vineyard. Grapes on 1 side were $1600/ton, on the other $3500. I'm sure someone can taste the difference!

• Atalanta
        Atalanta commented
        Editing a comment
        In '06 we spent some time in CA and did the Napa wine trail. BF bought two tasting flights at Stags Leap (I think they were $60 each) and then bought some splits at $75 each.

Huskee if you can afford a significant splurge, and you can find it near you, try Sparkman Cellars' Kingpin Cab .... Around $60/bottle but it is simply outstanding.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Never seen it but I looked up the label in case I do. Thanks!

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee or let me know if you want to splurge. They are a WA winery, I'm a club member. I can grab a bottle and ship it to you as "olive oil"

I'm a Zin fan ... specifically Klinker Brick ... about $17 per bottle. For "beverage" (equivalent of lawnmower beer) wine, Woodbridge Zin in the 1.5 L bottle will do.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I have yet to find Klinker Brick or ever see Woodbridge zin....I only ever find Woodbridge cab and merlot for reds.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Those two tasty wines have eluded my search efforts too. I keep looking, though.
        K.

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee fzxdoc ... The Woodbridge zin is nothing special but it's really too bad Klinker Brick doesn't seem to have made it to the East coast. As zins go, it's pretty special.

Agre with St. Francis above. Forgot to put Chateau st. Jean as one of our faves, too

Comment

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        Our local Vintner just had a sale on Rawson Retreat 2015 merlot. At $5.00 a bottle this is a good wine. You can tell it isn't a first class wine, but more than decent!

I'm a white wine drinker, BF is both. Since he used to be a sommelier at a hoity toity italian restaurant, he has more expensive taste than I. However, he won't toss a cheap white if its drinkable.

That being said, our cheap white is Crane Lake Sauvignon Blanc. The Wegmans across the street from my office has it for $4 a bottle. I'll pick up a case every so often. We also like the Rex Goliath Pino Grigio 1.5 when it is on sale for $10/bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by W.A. View Post
        Screaming Eagle....well I just saw it once
        This was one of the wines made by Heidi Barrett (Amuse Bouche, which I mentioned before, is another). She is one of the best consulting winemakers, and has her own label, La Sirena, which is also spectacular. She is married to Bo Barrett, winemaker at Chateau Montelena, and old and famous winery. Some great wines there, and a beautiful place to visit.

I have seen Screaming Eagle on a number of wine lists, at around $4,000 a bottle. Bit much for even a splurge.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Even if I were a billionaire I would never spend $4K on a bottle of wine. There's zero chance it's any better than a good $60 bottle, IMO.

• Yno
          Yno commented
          Editing a comment
          I would, just to say I have tried it, and I bet it is good. There is a restaurant in Florida that has a $10,000 bottle of 1851 French wine - bet that is a bit past peak.

Lately I've become enamored of Tom Gore Field Blend wine. It sips nicely and holds up well at dinnertime too. I also like Tenshen red blend. Haven't tried the Tenshen white yet.

For a cheap tasty white to glug, I like Menage a Trois California White Wine at less than $10 a bottle.

Kathryn

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Glug wine; now there's a new one for my vocabulary!

Baron Rothschild Mouton Cadet red -- 2014 is very, very good. It's about $10.50 a bottle.

Comment

Well...... my wife does call me a wine snob, but we both like dry reds, bold and full bodied. We go to lots of wine tastings and never look at the price until the end. Almost without fail the one we selected ends up being the most expensive one the winery offers. Although most of the wines in our cellar range from $18 - $45, I have had many lesser expensive wines that were quite drinkable - but I draw the line at Two Buck Chuck from Central Market.

Comment

Carnivor Cabernet - we just picked up a case at Costco for $6.99/bottle. Not as good as Coppola Claret, but the price is right.

Comment

Cold climate Pinot Noir will go with almost anything. Nice strawberry and cherry flavours when young, put some age on it will bring some smoke and spice to the fruit as well, but light enough to rock your seafood and chicken and bold enough to stand up to some lamb or even beef. That said, a good barrossa valley shiraz and beef will put you in umami heaven. As far as whites go, a nice young Riesling will complement almost anything. The older bottles will give some interesting rich petroleum notes, an acquired taste, bit like a peaty single malt. Riesling are less fruity than a sauv blanc but some lovely acidity that cuts through rich foods well.

Australia is lucky, we have some great wines at reasonable prices. If you are looking in this direction, happy to recommend some. There are a number of wineries here exporting to the US now.

Comment

Some go tos under 20:
                Kim Crawford Sauv Blanc... this might be the best value per dollar wine in the world. Might. Frequently $12-$14 and available at Costco, Target, many others.

Mark West Pinot Noir... another costco/target/grocery/wherever, generally <$10... not the greatest pinot, but very drinkable with food.

For a bit pricier, findable between $17 and 21, Meiomi pinot noir... kind of a entry level pinot from Belle Glos, who make much nicer pinots at much higher pricings. Overdelivers as the wine folks say.

I have some others, but these are the consistent ones under $20.

Comment

• smokinfatties
                  smokinfatties commented
                  Editing a comment
                  +1 on Meiomi, my fav screwtop wine lol!

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Meiomi is always consistent. On going up a tier, depending on the year and the state of my palate, I go back and forth between Telegraph and Dairyman.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here