Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine talk 🍷

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surfdog
    commented on 's reply
    I had a chuckle when you said you have between 80-90 bottles… More than once, when driving near a winery, I’ve said something like, "We need to stop. I think I’m down to like a hundred bottles. Sure, it’s not an emergency…but why risk it." LOL

• bbqLuv
    replied
    There is nothing like a good wine

The Whiners on an Airplane - Saturday Night Live - Bing video
    Last edited by bbqLuv; June 27, 2022, 06:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• WayneT
    replied
    I just discovered this thread! Glad to see there are a number of aspiring wine snobs amongst the group (and maybe some who have already reached that pinnacle of oenophile status).

I have a 160 bottle New Air wine cooler that holds about 110 because of format differences in my collection. If everything was in a Burgundy or Bordeaux bottle, then yeah, it might cap out. I typically have between 80-90 bottles to choose from at any given time. I also know how to get to the local wine store…😏

I’m an Italian wine snob, having been to several wineries in Tuscany and the Veneto region. As you may guess, Brunellos and Amarones are two of my favorite Italian red wines. Their less expensive siblings, Chianti and Ripasso, respectively, are more guilt free wines that I enjoy more frequently. I also like some super Tuscans and Montepulciano-based reds. One of my favorite dessert wines is Vin Santo, which I discovered at Avignonesi Winery in Italy. On the white side, I enjoy Vermentino and Prosecco.

Seghesio Zinfandel is one of my new world go-to reds for red meat and chocolate desserts.

Leave a comment:

• surfdog
    replied
    FWIW... SOME of my current faves come from...
    WELCOME TO JAXON KEYS WINERY & DISTILLERY We invite you to visit our historic 1250 acre estate winery. We offer many varietals grown on our ranch for tasting at our 1880’s Farmhouse Tasting Room. Enjoy a leisurely wine tasting at the antique bar, spend some time out

Oak Mountain Winery Embracing Eternal Beauty of Temecula Wine Country Cave Cafe Reservation Book Tour View Intro The Caves At 104 feet underground, Oak Mountain Winery features Southern California’s only subterranean mined wine cave. Visit Page The Distillery Experience the allure of our exclusive cave distillery, where a speakeasy-style ambiance awaits your visit. Visit Page […]

An ultra-premium, small production winery nestled in the picturesque San Pasqual Valley

I belong to SEVERAL winery "clubs" which means I get NUMEROUS bottles every other month or so...but these ones seem to be the most consistent with tasty wines...AND they ship. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Rombauer is my wife & her sister's all time favorite (her sister is a big wine gal like my wife). When we go to a nice anniversary-style dinner out that's the bottle they/she orders. I'm with you on whites, not sure I'd know a really good white vs. a so-so one, other than what my wife tells me. She really loves "Butter" chardonnay (inexpensive) and "Butternut" as well.

• bronzewound
    replied
    A number of years back a friend from California made it here to beautiful New hampshire and she couldn't believe the wine prices for CA wines here in NH. She said we can't buy most of what you have here for less back home even on sale. Made me feel pretty good. The downside is that some of the really special wines from small vineyards never make it here. A great go to everyday cab is Decoy for about $16 and change from the Duckhorn vineyards. I'm not a big white wine fan but if you want to really feel special Rombauer chard is spectacular though pricey at $35 here in the Granite State.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    We've enjoyed Josh Legacy too. It's a tasty red blend that goes well with burgers or steaks in our house. Glad to hear you like it too, smokin fool .

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• smokin fool
    replied
    Finally opened this red called Josh.
    Its a very tasty addition to anyone’s meal
    First taste is a fruity explosion, very smooth with no aftertaste to my palette at least
    Even my wife liked it and she’s not a red person
    Attached Files
    Last edited by smokin fool; July 29, 2019, 05:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Good point about branching out. Normally I never would have bought a wine called "petite" anything if I'd seen it on a shelf. But petite sirah is now my all time favorite, the boldest of the bold reds I've tried. Also never would've given red zinfandel a shot either ("it's not cabernet? Then no thanks") but man is a good zin made great when enjoyed with spicy peppery BBQ! Thank you for sharing this!

• obiQsmoker
    replied
    Variety is the Spice of Life!

My "Wine Sensory" instructor really opened my eyes to the incredible variety of wines out there. She challenged us on two fronts:
    1) Smell and taste everything you can - you’ll be amazed how that expands your ability to describe and talk about wine.
    2) Seek out and experience new wines. You never know when your new favorite will show up.

While it’s true that most of us buy the same few wines over and over, it prevents new discovery. That was me for sure.
    But staring at a wall of wine and no clue where to begin is frustrating. Sure, there are some in the store that know their selection and can help make informed choices, and getting to know your "wine guy/gal" helps, but for me, I wanted to understand a bit about the wines I was considering. Good luck with that.

After watching the movie/documentary "Somm", I heard that Ian Cauble had started a wine business. A little digging took me to his web site called "Somm Select". (https://www.sommselect.com)
    The premise is simple:
    - Sign-up for his email list...
    - You receive 1-2 email offers per day, in which he explains the wine, its history, vineyards, winemakers, winemaking, and tasting notes.
    - Ignore the email or buy the wine.

He’s looking for delicious wine, often importing direct from small wineries we’d never see in a store.
    I was intrigued, gave it a try to see if his tasting notes described a wine in ways I could relate to, and I’m kinda hooked.
    His offerings are priced anywhere between about $14 and $”are-you-kidding-me!?”.
    I love his build-a-case deal where he ships for free (US I think) when you’ve assembled a full case of 12.
    I’ve tasted probably 50 grapes I’d never even heard of, and learned a lot about wines from all over the planet, all from the comfort of my iPad.

No, I have no affiliation with SommSelect - I just appreciate their offering, have learned from them, and have enjoyed amazing wines I feel I understood a bit BEFORE buying them.

If you’re interested in learning about wine in an easy, straightforward format, I love these folks and refer here often:
    https://winefolly.com

For me, Wine is a bit like travel; as we explore, it’s fun to see (taste) what’s around the next bend. Makes me smile.
    Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    Agree with the broken rules thing.
    I drink reds with everything, my wife drinks white wine spritzers.
    Rarely will she drink a wine without soda water.
    And the cork thing is another peeve, just because a wine has a screw cap its not just another bottle of some old plonk.
    Many excellent wines come without a cork.

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    I go against the grain on temps, I prefer my reds chilled and whites closer to room temp.
    My sister absolutely loses her mind at me about chilling my reds.

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    Other than its a California Red not to much at this point, blended & bottled by Joseph Carr at Josh Cellers in Hopeland. CA. No vintage marked on the label.
    I usually only but Ontario VQA reds, this was a fathers day gift and the next bottle up on the rack.
    Give me a few days and I will come back with my thoughts.
    Last edited by smokin fool; July 16, 2019, 07:45 PM.

• mountainsmoker
    replied
    I totally agree Huskee most folks can get by with 3-4 reds they like for different foods and a 2-3 whites. Just pick them to go with the foods they eat. Then pick 2-3 to sip on when they want to relax. When they go out to a restaurant try something different and if there is a sommelier use his/hers experience. We will always try something we don't have or haven't tried before. As far as rules I have drank reds with tuna and bluefish and whites with veal and sweatbreads. Rules are made to be broken.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    I don't believe in rules with wine, that = snobbery. Drink whatever wine you like and can afford with whatever meal, when something works or doesn't, make a mental note. Drink wine at whatever temp you like. Me, that's room temp (65-70 for reds), halfway between fridge and room temp for whites (so 55-60).

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here