Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine talk 🍷

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This past week I was able to try a Stag's Leap cab (Napa), an Italian cab/sangiovese blend called Poggio al Tufo, and a Peidmont/Alba nebbiolo. There was another in there too that I can't remember. All 4 of these were accompanied by beef tenderloin with truffles and a wine reduction.

Wow. The flavors on this planet are astounding.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Not such a bad place!

Stag's Leap is a designated viticultural area in the Napa Valley. There are two wineries there, Stag's Leap Winery and Stag's Leap Wine Cellars. I know more about the Stag's Leap Wine Cellars offerings, having been there quite a few times. Their Cask 23 is outstanding, at an outstanding price of $260 currently. I also like the SLV, but at $135 I don't get to try it very often. Their Artemis is actually very good, and at only (!) $60, I have had that a bit more often.

Stag's Leap Winery also makes some fantastic wines, at up to $200 per bottle. I have not been to that tasting room, even though it is practically next to SLWC. I will have to plan a trip up there sometime. Maybe after I win the lottery.....

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have always liked Artemis and consider it a value Napa cab.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not sure which it was, it was the one most likely to be in a restaurant! It was a 2013. I emailed the place to ask, as their wine list isn't on their website. I'll update when they reply.

• charlesSFG
      charlesSFG commented
      Editing a comment
      Stags Leap Wine Cellars was the big winner that shocked the wine world in 1976 beating out the French at the Paris Wine Tasting of 1976 also known as the Judgment of Paris. It put Napa and California on the map as world class wines, but we already new that.

You can't go wrong with either.

Last night we opened a 1994 Silver Oak Alexander Valley. We have been to Silver Oak, both the Napa Valley and Alexander Valley facilities, many times. One trip, must have been 1998 or 1999, we met Justin Meyer, and got a few signed bottles. This was the second to last that I still have. It was very good, just a hair past it's peak, but still a medium ruby red, not turning 'brickish' yet. I got blackberry, leather, and a hint of chocolate, and my wife said she was tasting cherries. I am going to host a small BBQ next weekend, and one of my guests is a Certified Sommelier, so I will pop open the last bottle. My next oldest are some 1999's.

The 1986 Silver Oak was the wine that my soon to be wife and I shared on our first date, and it has always been special to us.

Comment

Dry Creek may honestly be my all time favorite 'best buy' wine out there. At ~$20/bottle it is absolutely fantastic. I would liken it to the Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, or Elijah Craig (bourbons) of the wine world. There are $40 & $60 bottles that I don't think are as good. And it is NO QUESTION THE single best $20 bottle I've ever had.

Outstanding in its price range, whether red zinfandel or Cabernet sauvignon... EDIT: or petite sirah.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG1877.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.72 MB ID:	574765

Comment

• DJBODA
        DJBODA commented
        Editing a comment
        As I riffed through the comments, I was surprised no one mentioned the general vintage charts put out by various magazines (usually at no charge) or Google "wine vintage charts". This is a good starting point when buying wine to put away for a few months or years. If there is no wine shop near you, explore some when you're next in a larger city. DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED FROM ASKING QUESTIONS!!!

• DJBODA
        DJBODA commented
        Editing a comment
        If you run into someone unhelpful, excuse yourself and find another employee, or go find another shop more interested in your needs. As a "geezer", I find a preference for European wines since they have been grown for centuries over New World Wines whose vines are usually younger. Quality wine is what you want regardless of where it comes from. Experiment; you try new things on the BBQ, wine is no different.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Spent some time in the DCV last year and it’s a hard place to make a bad wine.

My favorite pairing, luna bianca with turkey

Comment

Boy this is an old neglected thread
        I’m pretty lucky Niagara wine country is a 25 min drive for literally dozens of boutique winery’s in the area to chose from.
        Norfolk county, an hour west is new to wineries. Pictured is a red from Burning Kiln called Harvest Party currently my one of my favs.
        Im kind of a wine snob, I try to only buy Canadian wines preferably from Ontario.
        Look forward to showing more wares from up here in "We the North"
        Attached Files

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Never once seen a Canadian wine in any store here. I theorize much like in Michigan's shorter growing season the Canadian reds aren't California or Italy- bold, but the whites are killer?

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Most peoples palette's are draw to white's so reds lag behind up here.
          I'm surprised Cdn wine isn't available in MI, your President has probably put a tariff on them....
          Take a rip across the border one weekend, Pelee Island has a fantastic VQA award winning winery within easy driving distance of the border. That used to be tabacco country, with its demise many farmers have switched to vineyards.
          Another reason for a visit....your dollar is worth around $1.40 up here....

My Parents brought over a 2005 Franciscan Cabernet that was amazing last night. I felt a little guilty drinking it after having 4 IPA's prior to it. I don't think I got even close to the full enjoyment out of it. But, if my dad wanted to open it, who am I to say. (It was just to hot out for a cab last night)
        Last edited by Richard Chrz; July 15, 2019, 04:24 PM.

Comment

I can't get enough Pinot Noir lately and have been keeping a few bottles, or even a box of rosé, chilled in the fridge for these sunny days.

Comment

• Greygoose
            Greygoose commented
            Editing a comment
            I pick up a bottle of 90+ Pinot noir from the Russian River Valley local now and again and I have to say some of the releases have been outstanding.
            You have to keep an eye on what lot you are drinking.

While I like big bold tannic reds, wife & I really like a good minerally sauvignon blanc on hot days.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            I am more of a white or Rosa for the middle summer months as well.

I know nothing about wine, so what did I do? Join the 3 quarterly bottle wine club at the GA winery in Ringgold, Ga. I need to pick up our next 3 bottles.

Our first selection was a Merlot, a Chardonnay and a mixer for some Sangria. They were all pretty good.

Comment

Wow didn't even know this subject even existed. My wife and I like our wines. Started collecting back in the 1970's and have a couple of Chateau Laffite Rothschild 1975 that are worth mucho. Our collection is about 200 bottles and our drinking wine is a heavy Merlot. Some fruit, tannic about 5 years old. An all around wine that goes well with beef, pork and lamb. Our white is a sauvignon blanc although a good Chablis can also work if we are out. I will take a Trokenberenauslese or Eisvien for dessert. During the 70's and 80's we belonged to a number of wine clubs as we moved around the country while I was in the Navy and finally settled down for grad school and work.

My main suggestion is find a wine you like and enjoy it with what ever your eating. There are to many out there to try and taste at one time. If you want to learn more join a wine club. You will learn new words like terroir, brix, and others. They also usually do a flight tasting of a type of wine.
            Last edited by mountainsmoker; July 15, 2019, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Whoa - thanks to ya’ll posting to this thread - just got my attention through the "Recent Posts" link.

While I don’t consider myself a wine snob, I’m seriously a wine lover.

After retiring, I took a couple of wine classes at a local college with a full wine program, learned tons, and got fired-up to the point I’m working part-time at the tasting room for one of Washington’s best/oldest wineries - DeLille Cellars. Having a blast, I learn something every single day, often from customers and of course our wine making team. Naturally, I’ve started a bit of a collection, mainly for two reasons: I’ve learned many wines benefit (get better - subjective) with some degree of cellaring, and it’s a way to stock-up on faves.

Not intending to hijack the thread/topic, I do have a couple of topics I’d love to chat about - forthcoming.
              Last edited by obiQsmoker; July 15, 2019, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Engaging your Sommelier

Can anyone else relate to my experience? ...
                I take my dear wife to a nice restaurant for a special occasion. I’m presented their wine list, 14-pages that feel like a wine tour around the world - and exactly ONE wine I even recognize. Their sommelier walks up; "Do you have any questions I can answer about the wine list?" My brain screams "yea, like where do I even BEGIN!!?" So I politely say "um, no thanks, give me a moment to decide on something". I search for some glimmer of grape, region, and price range that might not be too embarrassing, toss the mental dart at the dartboard, and cross my fingers, thinking “if nothing else, we’ll try something new and I’ll learn a little something.

I’ll admit, Somm’s really used to intimidate me. I didn’t really understand their role, assumed they would upsell, and frankly felt seriously lacking in enough wine knowledge to even begin a conversation with them.

As I found a little more time to explore wine, I also wanted to understand what the hey a sommelier really is. I was tired of my embarrassing encounters with them. Why do they exist? Really?

A friend recommended the book "Cork Dork" by Bianca Bosker, I watched the movie "Somm", and Ding, Ding, Ding, there it was. THEY are wine experts, there to help us mere wine mortals navigate the crazy universe that is wine on planet earth.
                At my next nice dinner out, I ASKED for the somm, mentioned our basic flavor preferences in wine, dinner choices we were considering, and a clear price range. Cora jumped on an Oregon Pinot Noir she thought would fit perfectly, explained a bit about the wine maker, the region, and why she thought it would be a nice choice with dinner. Jumping to the ending, Wow, just Wow! The wine was delicious, one I knew nothing about and would have skipped easily, and paired perfectly with our dinners.
                I left elated, no longer dreading a Somm encounter, but rather looking forward to them.

My epiphany:
                - Engage a Somm whenever one is available and you’re not familiar with the wine list. They know the wine AND the food!
                - Describe, in whatever terms you’re comfortable, the flavors you enjoy in wine - especially in this moment.
                - Be honest and open about your price range. They want you to ENJOY your evening and wine - hard to do if you’re stressing over the price.
                - Ask questions and learn if so inclined. Every Somm I’ve met loves to share their knowledge and are pretty pumped to get the opportunity.

Anyone else out there have Somm encounters or tips to share?
                Any Somms in our community?

Comment

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In our case we don't frequent establishments that have a Somm on staff, but this is excellent advise a bottle of wine can detract from a dining experience as fast as enhancing it.
                  Gets ones self out of those wine ruts every so often, same brand because I like it.

This California Red will be my next victim.
                Attached Files

Comment

• obiQsmoker
                  obiQsmoker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A friend brought a Josh Sauv Blanc to a BBQ last month - delicious! Will seek them out to try more. What can you tell me about this winery?

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Other than its a California Red not to much at this point, blended & bottled by Joseph Carr at Josh Cellers in Hopeland. CA. No vintage marked on the label.
                  I usually only but Ontario VQA reds, this was a fathers day gift and the next bottle up on the rack.
                  Give me a few days and I will come back with my thoughts.
                  Last edited by smokin fool; July 16, 2019, 07:45 PM.

@ObiQmoker if you are in a restaurant with a 14 page wine list and a Somm always take advantage of there experience. Quietly let them know your price range, your preference in taste and what you are leaning towards having for dinner. Strike up a conversation, how long have they been there, have they passed the Somm exams, are they studying for them, how many bottles are in the cellar, what temp do they keep it at. It will make you sound like you know something about wine. Never drink any wine at room temp. A red should be drank at around 60-65 degrees and whites at 50-55.

Comment

• smokin fool
                  smokin fool commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I go against the grain on temps, I prefer my reds chilled and whites closer to room temp.
                  My sister absolutely loses her mind at me about chilling my reds.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here